Suspicious Packages being found in Boston(Updated)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Looks like they know who's behind it:

Turner Broadcasting, parent company of Cartoon Network, said the devices, which consisted of magnetic, blinking lights, were part of a promotion for the TV show "Aqua Teen Hunger Force."

Articlehere:

Can you say "screwed"?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:18 PM
link   
It's a sad day and age when people immediately jump to conclusions...

I guess whomever is engineering this fear campaign and seeping their ideology into the public conciousness must be laughing his or her rear end off at how paranoid and easily led the majority of people are these days.

McCarthyism is alive and well - and this time, it's the Moonites and their flock on the line.

I always knew there was something subversive about the whole Aqua Teen Hunger Force Militia...

[edit on 31-1-2007 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I'm a little confused... Why, exactly, is there any talk of jail time? How is this differnet from people hanging up a poster on a store window? Yes, people took it the wrong way, but I'm missing the jail time. What's the charge?

Oh, and these 'devices' (lol) are in like 10 cities...

[edit on 31-1-2007 by sp00ner]

[edit on 31-1-2007 by sp00ner]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Why is this causing a stir now though? The flickr photo says that it has been up for two weeks... It was uploaded on the 15th...

Smells like Fearmongering to drive up ratings to me...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
Why is this causing a stir now though? The flickr photo says that it has been up for two weeks... It was uploaded on the 15th...

Smells like Fearmongering to drive up ratings to me...

They're also in Chicago, New York, Austin, etc, etc... there's likely been thousands of people that saw them, but they likely have common sense and reasoning and therefore didn't go crazy when they say a picture of Ihr flipping them off...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I have to address the comments that some people are making.

First, why is it unreasonable for people to have contacted the authorities when they see a blinking box with an offensive image on the front? Do we really expect people to go on the Internet and go through Wikipedia until they figure out what it is? We've been told to keep an eye out for anything suspicious; we have it pounded into our heads that suspicious things are bad. Turner should have ensured that the appropriate people in Boston knew what they were doing. Creativity shouldn't be stifled, but when this results in such a large-scale scare like this, the response shouldn't be "oh, it's nothing."

Second, I think the mocking of people who were frightened by this is insensitive. As I mentioned above, I live 1/2 of a mile from where one of the packages was found. I didn't know that it was an ad for Aqua Teen, I hadn't even seen the image. If I had seen it, I would have recognized it. But they didn't play it on TV or the Internet. So instead I sat in my home wondering what in blazes was going on, with my family 100 miles away worried sick.

Third, Turner should be held to account for this. Not just for the fright that people felt, but for the inconvenience that the city and infrastructure experienced. If Adult Swim makes a joke out of this, their legal department should have them in shackles, and it would be the height of self-righteous arrogance.

This isn't a joke. I hope people can handle this with a little more maturity.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
For those directly involved, they'll hold a very heavy bias. The majority of the nation did not flip out and handled the, as FOX news calls them, "devices" without notice. I think the Boston area will be up in arms but the rest of the nation will get a kick out of it. Let's see if I'm wrong. Insensitive? I suppose. Wrong? I don't think so.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
The problem is that they created an electronic device that looked quite odd, and then placed them illegally, attaching them to bridge supports, installing one in a Subway system, and another next to a major highway. All without any permission to do so. The packages looked quite suspicious because they appeared to be wrapped in plastic like a bundle and did not look like an advertising billboard.

They will face charges for illegal placement of the devices. Due to the fact that they aroused suspicion and resulted in police bomb squad responses, they will probably be held liable for the cost of police time, the shutting down of subway systems and major commuter arteries. Whomever was behind this marketing campaign will undoubtedly loose their job and they should. Since they failed to obtain permission to place the advertisements, which resulted in such a commotion, they should be held responsible.

It is one thing to put up a billboard, it is another to illegally place odd electronic devices on bridge supports without permission.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
www.breitbart.com...

the devices have been in place for two to three weeks in 10 cities: Boston, New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Seattle, Portland, Ore., Austin, Texas, San Francisco and Philadelphia.

Homeland Security at it's finest.

Bravo.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
The problem is that they created an electronic device that looked quite odd, and then placed them illegally, attaching them to bridge supports, installing one in a Subway system, and another next to a major highway. All without any permission to do so. The packages looked quite suspicious because they appeared to be wrapped in plastic like a bundle and did not look like an advertising billboard.

They will face charges for illegal placement of the devices. Due to the fact that they aroused suspicion and resulted in police bomb squad responses, they will probably be held liable for the cost of police time, the shutting down of subway systems and major commuter arteries. Whomever was behind this marketing campaign will undoubtedly loose their job and they should. Since they failed to obtain permission to place the advertisements, which resulted in such a commotion, they should be held responsible.

It is one thing to put up a billboard, it is another to illegally place odd electronic devices on bridge supports without permission.

Have you seen pictures of them? They're blinking little billboards... they're on bridges... because they want people to see them, and because they can easily hang them...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin

Have you seen pictures of them? They're blinking little billboards... they're on bridges... because they want people to see them, and because they can easily hang them...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
At night they light up like a cartoon, In the daytime they look not at all like a professional billboard. They look like odd plastic wrapped packages with some kind of electronic device that is not illuminated.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by sp00ner
They're blinking little billboards... they're on bridges... because they want people to see them, and because they can easily hang them...

So it's now legal for a corporation to hang a billboard wherever it want to? If you had hung a circuit board with wires sticking out of it on a bridge, you'd definitely be on your way to jail. Yet you are defending the right of a major corporation to do it?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   
If anything its a nice show of how freakin stupid homeland security is. They've been up for 2-3 weeks...

this country has become so anal its not even funny. beware the blinking lights! Oh nooooeess!

and i think someone mentioned "stoner" cartoons. ignorance at its finest.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77

Originally posted by sp00ner
They're blinking little billboards... they're on bridges... because they want people to see them, and because they can easily hang them...

So it's now legal for a corporation to hang a billboard wherever it want to? If you had hung a circuit board with wires sticking out of it on a bridge, you'd definitely be on your way to jail. Yet you are defending the right of a major corporation to do it?

Show me they didn't have permits in 10 major cities for 2+ weeks. Then we'll talk.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
They did not have permission to put them in the Boston Subway system. They did not have permission to place them on bridge supports in Boston. Thats two for two, I am still trying to find out about the other locations.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
either way, this is just ridiculous. there are more important stories to follow than this one. Fox News should just move on...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I seriously doubt they had any permission. If all the signs were placed with permission, then it's a different story.

This isn't the first time companies have tried to use illegal marketing schemes like this, here in New York an IBM ad campaign had people spraypainting logos on sidewalks and other city property and ended up having to pay heavy fines. This is obviously much more serious.

[edit on 1/31/2007 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
When there is a real problem people are going to be so used to these false alarms they won't take it seriously.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I love ATHF. It's ridiculous how people will jump to blaming everything on terrorism. I hope this doesn't cancel the show, cause if it did then Adult Swim will lose a huge percentage of its viewers.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join