Suspicious Packages being found in Boston(Updated)

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   
jsobecky

Fact: You were not up to speed on the RnR's.

Incorrect - I wasn't up to date on the member control panel interface - the T&C's (Terms & Conditions)/R&R (Rules and Regulations) are something completely different. I'd have to guess that the option to disable censors was scrapped after the latest overhaul, but I don't know for sure.

Before the Unabomber did that, we didn't have to. He set a precedent that we must now acknowledge.

So because one nutter flipped his lid and thought it would be a good idea to blow folks up, we now have to live in terror for the rest of our existence? That's like never going outside because once in the late seventies a freak hailstorm resulted in several head injuries in Montana.

It makes a lot more sense to consider Ted alongside the millions of mundane minutes that make up history - and when you look at the whole picture, terrorism is a miniscule threat.

On the other hand, it makes absolutely no sense to spend billions of dollars protecting against a less than 1% probability, when there are plenty of other dangers which are not only more prevalent and more dangerous, but also more easily addressed (unless, of course, you stand to make money by flushing the hard-earned dough of the taxpayers down one rat-hole after another).

On average, fewer than 15 Americans die every year due to terrorism. By comparison, more than seven thousand die from aspirin, and more than four times that many die as a result of a bad reaction to prescription drugs. If you want to fear the boogeyman, be my guest, but don't look down your nose at the rest of us who have the good sense to realize what constitutes a real threat. Seriously, you're willing to spend billions of dollars and countless man-hours tackling a miniscule problem that can't be solved, while there are hundreds of major problems that can be solved right under your nose. You think that's maturity, intelligence, patriotism? Excuse me while I injure myself laughing some more.

I bet the number of Americans who die from laughing every year on average outpace terrorism-related deaths...

The fact that y'all USE terroristic tactics to secure this thin veneer of justification in the form of terrorism, doesn't make it any more palatable...

In fact, it makes it downright disgusting.

Once again, your youth shines through. Because of Richard Reid, now there are security measures in place at airports.

You would blame the airports. Reid would love that, because he could succeed the next time around if you were in charge.

Yeah, that's all we needed, a more complete illusion of safety, billions spent with nothing to show for it but screeners that fail every test they take, and more inconvenience and delays whenever we try to fly.

And anyway, you've got your facts mixed up, there has been airport security since long before Reid, and even before 9/11.

You're obviously not up to date with the situation. I may have mis-spelled the name of the ad agency that TBS hired, that eventually hired these two stoners for $300 (which that haven't yet been paid, btw), but I know what the deal is. You don't.

The name of the company in question is Interference. But you know what the deal is, right?

[edit on 3-2-2007 by WyrdeOne]

[edit on 3-2-2007 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
jsobecky

Fact: You were not up to speed on the RnR's.

Incorrect - I wasn't up to date on the member control panel interface - the T&C's (Terms & Conditions)/R&R (Rules and Regulations) are something completely different. I'd have to guess that the option to disable censors was scrapped after the latest overhaul, but I don't know for sure.

Dosn't matter. I never intended to get you into hot water. I only mentioned it because you initially made it an issue.

Before the Unabomber did that, we didn't have to. He set a precedent that we must now acknowledge.

So because one nutter flipped his lid and thought it would be a good idea to blow folks up, we now have to live in terror for the rest of our existence? That's like never going outside because once in the late seventies a freak hailstorm resulted in several head injuries in Montana.

No, you're missing the point entirely. Nobody is telling anyone to live in fear. But the people responsible for our safety need to remember Ted's actions. And the rest of us need to be aware that the Ted's of the world do exist.

It makes a lot more sense to consider Ted alongside the millions of mundane minutes that make up history - and when you look at the whole picture, terrorism is a miniscule threat.

This is the exact attitude that terrosists hope to instill in us, a sense of complacency, and a cavalier attitude. Let your guard down, there's nothing to worry about, nothing to see here, move along, please. Trust me.

You made that point so perfectly, so succintly, that I would applaud you if I could.

Once again, your youth shines through. Because of Richard Reid, now there are security measures in place at airports.

You would blame the airports. Reid would love that, because he could succeed the next time around if you were in charge.

Yeah, that's all we needed, a more complete illusion of safety, billions spent with nothing to show for it but screeners that fail every test they take, and more inconvenience and delays whenever we try to fly.

Blaming the screeners is a deflection. If they cannot perform, that is an entirely separate issue. The core problem, security, still exists.

You're obviously not up to date with the situation. I may have mis-spelled the name of the ad agency that TBS hired, that eventually hired these two stoners for $300 (which that haven't yet been paid, btw), but I know what the deal is. You don't.

The name of the company in question is Interference. But you know what the deal is, right?

Yes I do. What I heard on TV was In-ter-fear-on, spelled phonetically. Want to take me to task for my poor hearing? So you came up with their real name. So what? All you did was to prove my point.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
No, you're missing the point entirely. Nobody is telling anyone to live in fear. But the people responsible for our safety need to remember Ted's actions. And the rest of us need to be aware that the Ted's of the world do exist.

So wrong it's sad.

Hey jso, do you remember when we were gonna all nationally thumb our noses at terrorism and not cower like sheep?

Remember when we were gonna shows them terrorists we wouldn't change our way of life? What happened to that?

I've read your posts and yeah, you feel really fighteous in your anger, but you keep making derisive comments about age. Who cares if you are olde? who cares if you are more mature or whatever you praise yourself for. You are encouraging your nation to be a bunch of cowards.

IMO you are simply foolish enough to believe the GWOT scam, and I'm sure you see it as real thing which lurks right outside the veil of your happy American existence. But just because you are jumping at ever Lee Malvo or Unabomber which idiot the elites set up as the next patsy/maniac, doesn't mean the rest of us have to take part in your fearmongering.

I know Americans like me who will never be afraid, no matter what Dick Cheney and his president throw at the American people. Also will I not be afraid of a flat piece of electronics which looks nothing like a bomb. No not ever.

jso, do you condition yourself to see bombs everywhere, or only in the most obvious places like in plain sight? Do you want to apply any common sense to this thread about how terrorists actually work and where they are actually historically known to place bombs??

Since you're so old (?) can you tell us once in history when a bunch of tiny bombs were left in plain sight for days and then exploded? You're frightened and you think it's patriotic. Really though, it's idiotic.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by smallpeeps]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:05 AM
link   
Gotta agree with smallpeeps there, Why change our lives cause of terrorism, isn't that what they wanted us to do?

Why be afraid, we are all gunna die, eventually.

oh yeah:
You have voted smallpeeps for the Way Above Top Secret award.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Gotta agree with smallpeeps there, Why change our lives cause of terrorism, isn't that what they wanted us to do?

If by "they" you mean our goofy government, then yes. At this point I don't really care though. If people want to be afraid then they are welcome too.

On a side note, I'm a little worried because I've been seeing these signs lit up all over my city.
They say either "walk," or "don't walk," should I call 911?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I was listening to this guy on the radio and it sounded like he had a middle eastern crypted message. It was the sound of a tabla drum pattern and a girl screaming "Get your freak on" "Get your freak on" with some arabic wailing. It sounded like a Jihad. JSO, you better get on THAT right now!

He has been on the radio before with other supicious codes He has been known to make sounds of polyrhythmic I.E.D.'s

I think we should turn him into homeland. I found his picture and sent it to security analysts. Did I mention I am a perceptive american who loves america and knows we are noble and righteous? I just saw a Joseph Stalin speech and who knew he was a supporter for freedom and against terror as well. This is awesome!

This is bigger than Boston & I am a real american

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
jsobecky

I don't disagree - but being aware that there are nutters is a very different from seeing them and the fruits of their hateful labors everywhere.

We're all aware there are serial killers, rapists, driller-killers, poison arrow frogs, meteorites, cracks in the sidewalk, and so on - there are so many dangers it's impossible to guard against them all without becoming a gibbering wreck, a waste of life.

The only sensible thing to do is play the odds, we guard against the most prevalent threats and try not to let the spectre of the others ruin our quality of life. What's the point in extending the length of your life if your life is worth nothing; if all you do is hide and scurry and weep at the prospect of death?

Better to die than to live like that. :shk:

There are millions of things that can kill us, but we would be utter fools to focus our attention on one minor eventuality at the expense of our safety when it comes to dealing with the more common threats.

All this talk about terrorism, and we still haven't secured our water supply. :shk:

We haven't hardened our electrical grid (or even updated it for modern stresses), or our food distribution network, or our borders.

We're so busy FREAKING OUT about non-starter issues, that we have failed miserably at addressing the REAL threats.

What possible justification is there for such assinine behavior, besides irrational, panic-inducing fear? We've let our fear get the best of us, and that has created a bigger threat, and made us more vulnerable.

Do you see my point?

This is the exact attitude that terrosists hope to instill in us, a sense of complacency, and a cavalier attitude. Let your guard down, there's nothing to worry about, nothing to see here, move along, please. Trust me.

No, it's not complacency to weigh the risks and act accordingly. Terrrorism is a threat, but we've got bigger threats to deal with right now. We're suffering here; the country is suffering, because we've been unable to think straight in the face of this non-stop paranoia-inducing propaganda that's screaming out across the airwaves 24/7.

Fear reduces our ability to think logically, and make good decisions - fact.

I agree that the safety of our citizens is a top priority, but I will never agree that the best way to insure against tragedy is to throw all our money at a bunch of politically-connected contractors, and beg them to save us from a practically non-existent threat.

It's not wise, it's not mature, it's nothing but panic and foolishness to act like that - like the guy who runs into traffic and gets hit by a bus because he was fleeing in abject terror at the sight of a tiny mouse on his front porch (they can carry the black plague!).

Blaming the screeners is a deflection. If they cannot perform, that is an entirely separate issue. The core problem, security, still exists.

Yeah, the core problem still exists, except it's been blown so far out of proportion, people are actually more concerned with terorrism than the millions of other ways they could possibly die that are more likely. :shk:

Where there's a will, there's a way. If terrorists want to attack us so badly, they will find a way to do it, and nothing we do will dissuade them. The best we can do is insulate ourselves from serious damage by protecting our most vital resources/infrastructure, and THIS HAS NOT BEEN DONE.

I'm not against security, I'm against foolishness.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Just a thought.

Now that we know that this same campaign took place in multiple cities, and only one city "noticed".
Which city in the list would be the LEAST likely, to be the target of a similar placement of REAL explosive devices?

I would pick Boston, to be least likely..
Anyone else?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm a fan of ATHF, so I'm finding this all hilarious, even though I know its not nice to laugh at people's fear.

The boxes had a light-brite esque figure of ignignokt flicking you off, but he's basically a big green pixel joke alien. Who the hell would make bombs with lights all over them, and does no one watch that show in Boston???

[edit on 3-2-2007 by BallOfPopulation]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
Just a thought.

Now that we know that this same campaign took place in multiple cities, and only one city "noticed".

Correction; they were "noticed" in all of the cities.

"Only one citiy overreacted" would be more accurate.

Which city in the list would be the LEAST likely, to be the target of a similar placement of REAL explosive devices?

Anyone else?

Not I; they had brightly glowing obscene gestures (in/on places like bridge supports no less!) for two full weeks before any "Officials" acted upon/identified them.

[edit on 2/3/07 by redmage]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:55 AM
link   
You make some excellent points, WO. But I don't think you fully understand what I am saying.

There is a big difference between how we should live our individual lives and determining what is the appropriate response from responsible personnel.

I would give them carte blanche. I cannot see how it could work otherwise You would have them ask you if the package were dangerous or not, and expect us to put our lives in your, untrained, unprofessional hands.

Sorry. Not gonna happen.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:58 AM
link   
smallpeeps, I'm not going to respond to your post. You're not worth my time.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Suspicious Packages

Technically, that is a response.

(Speaking to no one in particular now)

As with oh so many subjects on ATS, this one can get people all hot and bothered.

When that happens, please try to avoid posting out of anger, and focusing instead on the topic.

Remember: it's okay for ATSers to disagree. The alternative would be far worse!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Frank Herbert, Dune.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   

S'okay, I was a little hard on you. I like your posts but felt there was way too much emotion going on here.

It's a touchy subject, how we Americans should respond to the "great terrorist threat". I am glad for this event because it makes Americans smarter, or at least it COULD make them smarter. But it's all in the spin you know?

Anyway, godspeed jsobecky. I feel safer standing shoulder to shoulder with Americans like yourself. Seriously.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The case was dropped and Ted Turner paid the expenses. It's over.JSOBecky. Hate to say I told you so.

Thanks for the publicity though for a cartoon alot of us like on here.

Remember
"Freedom isn't free it costs folks like you and me. ANd if you dont throw in your buck o five, who will?" -Team America

Here's the weapon the mooninites were secretly hiding.
Behold it's the quad laser. Tremble at the sight of it's sheer power and majestic weaponry.

[edit on 4-2-2007 by MRGERBIK]

[edit on 4-2-2007 by MRGERBIK]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by redmage

Just a thought.

Correction; they were "noticed" in all of the cities.

"Only one citiy overreacted" would be more accurate.

Anyone else?

Not I; they had brightly glowing obscene gestures (in/on places like bridge supports no less!) for two full weeks before any "Officials" acted upon/identified them.

Thanks for answering.

So really..Any city, anywhere in the US, could be a target.
All it would take would be another simulated, guerrilla campaign.
Put a comical flashing light on it, but more than just batteries in it, something nasty.
Then you have 2 weeks to pick EXACTLY the right moment.

Makes us look like fish in a barrel.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Put a comical flashing light on it, but more than just batteries in it, something nasty.

Sort of (at least in Boston).

However, the signs were identified in the other cities.

I'm just glad that all of the other cities were able to handle the situation in , I.M.O., a more responsible manner.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by BallOfPopulation
I'm a fan of ATHF, so I'm finding this all hilarious, even though I know its not nice to laugh at people's fear.

The boxes had a light-brite esque figure of ignignokt flicking you off, but he's basically a big green pixel joke alien. Who the hell would make bombs with lights all over them, and does no one watch that show in Boston???

I'm sure there are fans of the cartoon here, but I doubt very much if many of them are among the folks responsible for our safety.

Anyone else?

Sez you that they were in place and glowing here for two full weeks.

End result, TBS and Interference got an expensive lesson. I doubt very much that you'll see them pull a similar stunt in the future.

Originally posted by smallpeeps

S'okay, I was a little hard on you. I like your posts but felt there was way too much emotion going on here.

It's a touchy subject, how we Americans should respond to the "great terrorist threat". I am glad for this event because it makes Americans smarter, or at least it COULD make them smarter. But it's all in the spin you know?

Anyway, godspeed jsobecky. I feel safer standing shoulder to shoulder with Americans like yourself. Seriously.

Agreed, too much emotion here. I was as much at fault as anyone.

Originally posted by MRGERBIK
The case was dropped and Ted Turner paid the expenses. It's over.JSOBecky. Hate to say I told you so.

Really? I remember hearing about the high-priced mouthpieces that TBS was gonna bring in here from Stanford, and that nothing would happen. They were gonna have it thrown out of court:

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips
We shall see. Public sentiment may be at an all time high right now but wait until these hardcore Stanford graduates get done with the city of Boston. It will be years from now before they're finished dragging this case through court. That's what the system and the judges (lawyers) want in the first place. They want money, and lots of it, pushed their way.

TBS knew from the getgo that they didn't want this to go to court. You don't want this to be in front of a jury in these days and times, with such a dumb move to defend.

I think the final nail in the coffin that cemented their decision to settle was the fact that it was revealed that the two goobers received email from Interference as early as 1PM, telling them to hush up and not contact the authorities that it was a harmless ad campaign. They wanted to milk it for every drop they could, and it came back to bite them.

Well, they made the right decision in settling out of court. It would have cost TBS many times $2mill in bad publicity if they had gone to court.

Originally posted by LooseLipsSinkShips

And which city will be next? Who has been identified as easy targets, that don't take something seriously?

Anyway, it's over, with lessons learned on both sides. The final detail will be to give the two jackballs a fine and some community service.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Sez you that they were in place and glowing here for two full weeks.

Have you even been following the thread?

No, not "sez" me.

Try; "sez" the upload date of the South Boston photos on Flickr (and the men who actually hung the signs for that matter).

And which city will be next? Who has been identified as easy targets, that don't take something seriously?

There's a big difference between "taking something seriously" and "over-reacting".

Are you asserting that you believe; none of the other major cities "took it seriously"?

[edit on 2/6/07 by redmage]

new topics
top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join