It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suspicious Packages being found in Boston(Updated)

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by smallpeeps
Okay some of the batteries may have been taped in electrical tape (I didn't see that, I saw gold and balck clearly on a board with no payload at all) but tape can be removed via simple means unless there's a weight-sensistive switch on it (?!?) ..Duh! We are going way past what any reasonable person would imagine this weird-artsy-stupid-looking thing to be. There's no part of it that looks like a bomb except batteries. A child should know what an LED bulb looks like. They are in flashlight and toy devices at every convenience store in Boston.

Well, hell, all we need to look for is something that is clearly gold and black, and we can be sure it's not a bomb, eh? And there is a dictionary of terms that defines "payload" that the terrorists have promised to abide by, so we don't get confused, huh?

Yeah, let's connect a cell phone to a package with gold and black connections, and we can rest assured that it is an innocent marketing scheme, right?

There is a reason why we have minority-age laws in this country.:shk:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sunsetspawn
I need to sleep and can't read the whole thread, so I don't know if this has already been posted. However, check this little gem out.
The Terrorists Speak

These guys are priceless, and clearly abhor the fear mongering media and incompetent government more than I do.

Everyone from Boston should be ashamed, especially that mush-mouthed mayor.

Go to bed. You obviously need the sleep.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:01 AM
link   
jsobecky

Really, WyrdeOne? Terrorists are much more direct - or is it subtle - to plant their bombs? They would never use the known, the safe, the secure, as a facade for their mission?

Tell us all how you know these truisms. Please. We await enlightenment.

I'm sorry you're terrified of something that's less likely to kill you than a bad reaction to baby aspirin, but don't make it my problem.

Yes, let us all laugh out loud! This was such a hoot! Forget the lives that were endangered. Forget the risk and expense to the response personnel that had to protect all of us.

This is such astoundingly bad logic, it's like blaming a garden snake for the broken ankle you suffered in an effort to vault over the neighbors fence to avoid the harmless creature. Don't blame the snake, blame the fool who is governed by fear. :shk:

The only reason lives were endangered and money was wasted was because of the ridiculous response.

The kiddies pulled one over the adults! What a victory! Let us all use mommy and daddy's computers and telephones to have a group grope!

I'm sorry, are you trying to insinuate that the people who find this funny are all children?

It hasn't occurred to you that the REAL adults are the ones who don't freak the # out when they see a bit of light-up plastic in a public place?

Seriously, there's a lesson to be learned here. Fear can be useful, but it can also be a terribly destructive and ill-advised thing to act upon. A healthy fear of terrorism could save your life, but an unhealthy fear of anything is more likely to lead to your death than the thing itself.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by WyrdeOne]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:07 AM
link   
jsobecky

Oh no, we've got incoming!

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:45 AM
link   
What an idiot nation I live in. Fearmongering ftw. How the hell do you confuse litebrite with a bomb? Also Turner Broadcasting told them it was them and they were like PFFFT YEAH RIGT WE'LL INVESTIGATE THIS!!!!

time money and effort wasted.

So are you any safer now, haha watch out for the moonites could attack at any given moment

FEAR THE LASER!!

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
jsobecky

Really, WyrdeOne? Terrorists are much more direct - or is it subtle - to plant their bombs? They would never use the known, the safe, the secure, as a facade for their mission?

Tell us all how you know these truisms. Please. We await enlightenment.

I'm sorry you're terrified of something that's less likely to kill you than a bad reaction to baby aspirin, but don't make it my problem.

Nice dodge, WyrdeOne. You manage to avoid answering my questions, and at the same time garner support from the masses.

I'll give you one more chance to answer my question. Can you, will you answer, or will you hide behind an ad hominem?

Yes, let us all laugh out loud! This was such a hoot! Forget the lives that were endangered. Forget the risk and expense to the response personnel that had to protect all of us.

This is such astoundingly bad logic, it's like blaming a garden snake for the broken ankle you suffered in an effort to vault over the neighbors fence to avoid the harmless creature. Don't blame the snake, blame the fool who is governed by fear. :shk:

So, are you saying that no lives were placed at risk? Is that my "astoundingly bad logic"? Have you ever been to the New England Medical Center? Do you understand how you caused that facilility immense problems due to a childish prank? And still, you defend this?

The only reason lives were endangered and money was wasted was because of the ridiculous response.

The ridiculous response belongs to you, WyrdeOne. I cannot believe that a moderator would take such a cavalier, irresponsible position. But that's my own question to ponder. I thought you guys were chosen due to certain criteria, including maturity. I was wrong, obviously.

The kiddies pulled one over the adults! What a victory! Let us all use mommy and daddy's computers and telephones to have a group grope!

I'm sorry, are you trying to insinuate that the people who find this funny are all children?

Yeah, I am. If not children, then emotionally immature.

It hasn't occurred to you that the REAL adults are the ones who don't freak the # out when they see a bit of light-up plastic in a public place?

First of all, you used a word that would get any member a warn. What gives you the right to use it?

Second, you need to go back and read about how these things looked in daylight, not in the dark. The you will realize that your position is untenable.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:45 AM
link   

Nice dodge, WyrdeOne. You manage to avoid answering my questions, and at the same time garner support from the masses.

I didn't avoid your pointless questions, I just didn't answer them in my usual cut/paste method (re-read my previous post if you're still scratching your head).

Anything can be turned into a bomb. A cigar, a hotplate, a lump of coal, a bottle of gin, a car, a poodle - it's POINTLESS to live in fear of everyday objects because terorrists might use them to conceal weapons. There might be a snake in the toilet, does that mean I don't relieve myself? There might be a cyanide capsule in my box of BooBerry, does that mean I don't eat breakfast? There might be a man outside my door with a fireaxe, waiting for me, does that mean I don't leave my house?

Jumping out of your skin everytime you come across something that could be used to conceal a terrorist's bomb (or some other dangerous object) is not a viable survival strategy. Freaking out about something that's less likely to kill you than OTC painkillers or a bad fall on the iced-over sidewalk is not a viable survival strategy.

No matter how you want to argue this, terrorism is a MINOR THREAT compared to just about everything else. You might have to fear terrorism more than some rare forms of cancer, or getting hit by lightning while being attacked by a shark...

So, are you saying that no lives were placed at risk?

No. I'm saying lives WERE placed at risk, not by colored plastic, but by morons who can't think straight because they're so damn afraid of the BOOGEYMAN, and by dangerously inept public servants who seek to justify their budget at every turn by inventing catastrophes and responding to every minor incident with a full calvary charge!

The really dangerous folks wear suits and uniforms - they appear on television from behind podiums.

They're far more likely to cause you injury (accidentally or on purpose) than some random religious nuttter nurturing a grudge in Africa's adjacent sandbox.

:shk:

Do you understand how you caused that facilility immense problems due to a childish prank? And still, you defend this?

Now I did it, eh? Real subtle.

I'm not defending anyone - I'm on the attack.

I don't waste my time putting up Lite-Brite panels in public places, and I don't think highly of the people who do, but that's not the point. The point is that nothing about this situation merited such an insane reaction, and the reaction is what endangered lives and wasted money, not the harmless bits of plastic.

The ridiculous response belongs to you, WyrdeOne. I cannot believe that a moderator would take such a cavalier, irresponsible position. But that's my own question to ponder. I thought you guys were chosen due to certain criteria, including maturity. I was wrong, obviously.

Oh, the drama!

Moderators are members too. We don't put our personalities or our opinions in a mason jar atop the mantle when we agree to volunteer our time helping members and cleaning up around this place.

Maturity? You wanna talk about maturity? Maturity is knowing the difference between a publicity stunt and a terrorist attack. Maturity is having the sense not to overreact to minor threats (like terrorism or lightning strikes) when there are plenty of major threats that deserve attention. Maturity is the triumph of logic and reason over irrational fear.

So come off it already. Age has nothing to do with merit. I've met a number of teenagers who displayed more wisdom and insight than their elders.

First of all, you used a word that would get any member a warn. What gives you the right to use it?

The censors are in place for a reason.

Censors, by default, are turned on for all members, and you have to spend points to turn them off.

I guess you paid to turn them off, otherwise you're just talking out of your rear and assuming that the # was a four letter word for fornicate.

Second, you need to go back and read about how these things looked in daylight, not in the dark. The you will realize that your position is untenable.

I'm still not scared.

Why are you?

I'm more scared of my morning commute than I ever will be of terrorism, and I lived through 9/11 in Manhattan. And you know what else? I'm not scared enough of my morning commute to let it affect me in any measurable way.

On a scale of 1-10, a circuit board doesn't even register...

The combination of high-speed metal and sleepy wage slaves is about a '4' as far as I'm concerend, but we all gotta do what we gotta do. I have weighed the risk of going to work versus the reward, and have made my choice. Meanwhile, millions of people are so afraid of something that doesn't even register, they're letting it affect their judgement, their health, their decisions, and their entire worldview. :shk:

It's like refusing to eat canned goods in an emergency because you might catch botulism - it's stupid.

Another minor point that needs to be made - the television news censored the four pixels that made up the 'middle finger' of the cartoon character. Have we, as a nation, gone senile? Seriously, folks wanna know what the Hell is wrong with people, and why are they acting this way? FEAR!

You wanna talk about MATURITY, in this nation of grown children?

Pfft...

&

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 05:11 AM
link   
What I find amusing is that this viral marketing campaign happened in several cities across the us and only boston freaked out. Now they want to sue turner broadcasting and jail the guys that put the ads up to begin with.

I can understand why Boston officials aired on the side of caution because the ad wasnt clear about its perpose there was no writing on the devices just the picture, and aqua teen hunger force isnt exactly a mainstream cartoon with readily recognizable charactors in it.

But it was Boston's mestake not turner broadcasting not the guys that set up the devices to begin with. It was the media and the city officials mestake. They were the ones that caused the panic not the people doing the ad. This would be like everyone freaking out if they put giant Ms everywhere for a McDonnalds campaign.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
My question to people who are so enraged by this:

Do you really think --I mean really now, do you think that terrorists are going to put a bomb in such a visible place? Really now, think hard!

The absolute proof that this is mostly terror-fear mongering is due to the fact that BOMBS ARE MUCH MORE EFFECTIVE IN A THOUSAND OTHER PLACES!

Mailboxes, briefcases, etc. All things that are ubiquitous and SEALED from view. Only some kind of paranoid uneducated civically confused doofus would go to this length of over reaction when in fact a terrorist would just put his bomb in a hidden place.

I don't see anybody here asking people to search their local trashcans, so what people are REALLY enraged about must be the visibility of the devices. But this should be their first common sense clue that it's not a bomb! Oh my god I am so glad this thread exists so we can discuss the real issue here: The fear ceiling which is trying to be erected over the American citizen's head.

The other day I had an argument with a good friend about airport security. I was ranting about how Americans can't even fly without being subject to tons of worthless, unneccesary poking and prodding of ourselves and our belongings. My friend said, "Just accept it man! America is done! Security is the rule of the day so get over it." ...This sort of mentality is pervasive but is only as effective as the dolts who believe it. Remember when people's attitude after 9/11 was to thumb noses at the terrorists and live normally? What happened to that? ...Oh, it was against the gameplan for American control.

I guess that's unAmerican? What we really should be doing is jumping at shadows --But these ain't even shadows, they're circuit boards. Something we don't even make in America anymore, let alone understand. But rest assured that when finally some idiot plants some bombs in the US and organizes a terror event, some ATS members will be fully prepared, in some other city, to fight the terrorist menace. Meanwhile America's GNP will be in the trashcan as Asia and India take over world production of electronics and software.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
For all those who wish to have a keep sake for the laugh..
www.cafepress.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Censors, by default, are turned on for all members, and you have to spend points to turn them off.

I guess you paid to turn them off, otherwise you're just talking out of your rear and assuming that the # was a four letter word for fornicate.

Where do you go to turn off the censors? I can't find it in the store.

I want to see the words #,#,#,#,#,# and #

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420

I don't think you can do that anymore.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   

I want to see the words #,#,#,#,#,# and #

Go ahead, WyrdeOne, tell him what you said. I have it captured in Notepad, in case any Admin wants to know what it was.

Go ahead and play with it, and then tomorrow you can be a hypocrite and WARN some member who uses it.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Go ahead, WyrdeOne, tell him what you said. I have it captured in Notepad, in case any Admin wants to know what it was.

Go ahead and play with it, and then tomorrow you can be a hypocrite and WARN some member who uses it.

Well, I hope you and your .txt file are having fun
, but if you have a serious issue, with something so severely off topic, please use the "Complain/Suggestion" feature in the member center instead of further derailing the thread.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm sure the admins know full well what was said. Did you ever see that episode of the Brady Bunch where Cindy goes around snitching on everyone for every little thing? I think the episode was called Tattletale, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, there was a lesson learned in that episode. I'm not sure what it was though.

Back on topic.

I watched those guy's press conference, and I think they handled it marvelously. These guys are "performance artists" and they do their thing by getting people to stop and think about what they're seeing. It's great for adverising, and even better for social commentary.

I'm willing to bet these guys get off, as they rightly should.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Rasobasi420]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Anyone who tries to defend this whole situation in favor of the publicity stunt boggles my mind. Take a minute to realize that bomb disposal technicians and law enforcement officials don't watch a cartoon about a talking meatball, or whatever this show is about. I think Stephen Colbert put it best when he said this publicity stunt ruined his marketing campaign:

"For instance, to market my new show, 'Time to Travel'; I was going to go to major american airports and leave unmarked suitcases with clock radios taped to them. To get the word out on my winter themed charity, I was sending out envelopes filled with fake snow. And I was so excited about my new time square add campaign for this show 'The Colbert Report: It's Da Bomb!'"

Some of the devices had obvious signs bomb disposal technicians would be searching for, not to mention what seemed to be an obvious taunt to police officials lit in LEDs on every device. Everything is about perspective..

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   

So, are you saying that no lives were placed at risk?

No. I'm saying lives WERE placed at risk, not by colored plastic, but by morons who can't think straight because they're so damn afraid of the BOOGEYMAN, and by dangerously inept public servants who seek to justify their budget at every turn by inventing catastrophes and responding to every minor incident with a full calvary charge!

A very sophomoric view of things, I'm afraid. You have obviously never been in charge of the safety of anybody else except yourself. Certainly not the public, or the people who are required to respond to events.

The really dangerous folks wear suits and uniforms - they appear on television from behind podiums.

Another puerile, sophomoric response. How old are you? I'm guessing under 19.

They're far more likely to cause you injury (accidentally or on purpose) than some random religious nuttter nurturing a grudge in Africa's adjacent sandbox.

:shk:

Typical childish response. Drag Iraq into the conversation. Next thing, you can rail on about the corporations and the environment. Cry about everything you say is wrong, because it absolves you from the duty to do something about it. Not that you have the capability to.. I'm not giving you that much credit.

Do you understand how you caused that facilility immense problems due to a childish prank? And still, you defend this?

Now I did it, eh? Real subtle.

I'm not defending anyone - I'm on the attack.

I don't waste my time putting up Lite-Brite panels in public places, and I don't think highly of the people who do, but that's not the point. The point is that nothing about this situation merited such an insane reaction, and the reaction is what endangered lives and wasted money, not the harmless bits of plastic.

And just who the hell are you (notice I didn't need the help of censors) to say what the correct response is to a situation? Huh? C'mon, give us your credentials.

Moderators are members too. We don't put our personalities or our opinions in a mason jar atop the mantle when we agree to volunteer our time helping members and cleaning up around this place.

And who are you helping by promoting such an irresponsible attitude? You're just spouting your own views, which are very immature imo.

Maturity? You wanna talk about maturity? Maturity is knowing the difference between a publicity stunt and a terrorist attack. Maturity is having the sense not to overreact to minor threats (like terrorism or lightning strikes) when there are plenty of major threats that deserve attention. Maturity is the triumph of logic and reason over irrational fear.

Uh-huh. So now, the people who are responsible for protecting us are required to be up to date on every pre-pubescent cartoon that comes along.

So come off it already. Age has nothing to do with merit. I've met a number of teenagers who displayed more wisdom and insight than their elders.

Which feeds your need for approval, I'm sure.

I didn't pay for anything. Maybe it was serendipity, but I caught your words before the censors took over. They are in a file that I have. And as I mentioned earlier, I would be happy to share them with any Admin or higher level that cares about it.

I'm still not scared.

Why are you?

False bravado, WO. You're not impressing me at all.

I'm more scared of my morning commute than I ever will be of terrorism, and I lived through 9/11 in Manhattan. And you know what else? I'm not scared enough of my morning commute to let it affect me in any measurable way.

On a scale of 1-10, a circuit board doesn't even register...

The combination of high-speed metal and sleepy wage slaves is about a '4' as far as I'm concerend, but we all gotta do what we gotta do. I have weighed the risk of going to work versus the reward, and have made my choice. Meanwhile, millions of people are so afraid of something that doesn't even register, they're letting it affect their judgement, their health, their decisions, and their entire worldview. :shk:

My final words on this. You approach this as a Monday morning quarterback. You do not acknowledge the harm done. You only want to ridicule the responders, and to forgive the idiots that caused this harm. You are not mature enough, imo, to have your opinion given any merit at all. Maybe in five years or so, I may reconsider your application to be an adult. Maybe.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Anyone know where I can find a good, used hubcap for my Pinto? Oh, wait, my bad. I wouldn't want to derail the thread.....oops, too late...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   

I'm sure the admins know full well what was said. Did you ever see that episode of the Brady Bunch where Cindy goes around snitching on everyone for every little thing? I think the episode was called Tattletale, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, there was a lesson learned in that episode. I'm not sure what it was though.

Obviously, you learned nothing at all. Tomorrow, WyrdeOne will go about WARNING some other member for the same behavior that he himself exhibited.

Is this what you want for moderation?

Back on topic.

I watched those guy's press conference, and I think they handled it marvelously. These guys are "performance artists" and they do their thing by getting people to stop and think about what they're seeing. It's great for adverising, and even better for social commentary.

I'm willing to bet these guys get off, as they rightly should.

And it's very bad news for the public in general. Causing an entire city harm is not "great for adverising" (sic), it's childish. Like taking your parent's car out for a midnight spin and crashing into some poor bloke on his way home from work.

Think about what you are saying, Rasobasi.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by jsobecky]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
jsobecky

See, this is the problem - you have no appreciation for irony.

You spent the last two pages admonishing people for their childish behavior, and look at you now!

I just checked, and found out the censors can no longer be turned off. It's news to me!

A very sophomoric view of things, I'm afraid. You have obviously never been in charge of the safety of anybody else except yourself.

Well, you're incorrect, but it's not important. (1)

Another puerile, sophomoric response. How old are you? I'm guessing under 19.

Well, you're incorrect, but it's not important. (2)

Typical childish response. Drag Iraq into the conversation.

Well, you're incorrect, but it's not important. (3)

And just who the hell are you (notice I didn't need the help of censors) to say what the correct response is to a situation? Huh? C'mon, give us your credentials.

I'm a person with a fully-functional brain.

I'm a person with the capability to accurately determine the threat posed by a bit of plastic.

I'm also a MA taxpayer with an opinion on public spending.

And who are you helping by promoting such an irresponsible attitude? You're just spouting your own views, which are very immature imo.

You're entitled to your views, as am I.

Uh-huh. So now, the people who are responsible for protecting us are required to be up to date on every pre-pubescent cartoon that comes along.

Knowledge of the cartoon is not a pre-requisite for dealing with this situation intelligently. I have never seen the stupid thing.

I didn't pay for anything. Maybe it was serendipity, but I caught your words before the censors took over. They are in a file that I have. And as I mentioned earlier, I would be happy to share them with any Admin or higher level that cares about it.

I wish you could hear my laughter...

I really, really wish you could hear my scornful, gut-busting guffaws.

Try the complaint feature if you want to continue this little McCarthy fantasy.

False bravado, WO. You're not impressing me at all.

No, see, that's the thing. It's not false - and it's not bravado. There's nothing to be scared about!

My final words on this. You approach this as a Monday morning quarterback. You do not acknowledge the harm done.

Haven't you been paying attention? I agree there was harm done, I just disagree (vehemently) about where the blame belongs.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join