It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California try to ban conventional lightbulbs by 2012

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

A California lawmaker wants to make his state the first to ban incandescent lightbulbs as part of California's groundbreaking initiatives to reduce energy use and greenhouse gases blamed for global warming.

"Incandescent lightbulbs were first developed almost 125 years ago, and since that time they have undergone no major modifications," California Assemblyman Lloyd Levine said on Tuesday.

"Meanwhile, they remain incredibly inefficient, converting only about 5 percent of the energy they receive into light."

Compact fluorescent lightbulbs (CFLs) use about 25 percent of the energy of conventional lightbulbs.

I think this is a good idea; however, fluorescent bulbs give some people severe headaches. This can be quite a physical problem for some people who cannot be around fluorescent lights for extended periods. I think it should be a personal choice what bulb someone wants to use within their own home.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:53 AM
link   
this is a great idea but personally i think they should force everyone to go LED instead. they last far, far longer, cost hardly anything to run, give off barely any heat and have a much better light.

the environmental & financial cost of converting to LED is such a great difference that it ought to be enforced

all about led's

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jessicamsa
I think this is a good idea; however, fluorescent bulbs give some people severe headaches.

On the surface the plan sounds great but as you mentioned when coupled with other factors such as differance in colors might cause individuals perhaps to be assessed with color blindness when they don't have any at all is also a concern.

My biggest concern is the fact that the lights they propose to replace conventianl bulbs all cannot operate without mercury. Just think of the increased danger from mercury!!!

Sure you might save some power but in the long run the other dangers might be worse for humans.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   
haha...
The people's republic of california is at it again.

Seriously, should california even be apart of the US anymore? I mean they have all but legalized marijauana and seem to do whatever they want. I even saw where Arnie was going to socialize medicine in that state
. What the hell arnie?! your a republican!!!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
haha...
The people's republic of california is at it again.

Seriously, should california even be apart of the US anymore? I mean they have all but legalized marijauana and seem to do whatever they want. I even saw where Arnie was going to socialize medicine in that state
. What the hell arnie?! your a republican!!!

Arnie's wife is a member of the Kennedy family. In reality, he's a Democrat in a Republican's clothing.

Go Arnie!

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
What the hell....
You can drive a gas hog while eating a chile dog and talking to your broker. Heat your pool to 98degrees but have to change to more efficient light bulbs. aarrggg..........

der gropenfuher is neither a dem or rep. He's a joke.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Laugh all you want, but im in complete support of banning conventional lightbulbs.

I guess a little backstory is neccessary, It was the year christmas eve, 1992 and a young SpaceCalamari was sleeping soundly, dreaming of what the jolly fat communist would have delivered when i awoke.

When suddenly i heard a loud crashing sound, followed by bloodcurdling screams. Yes, a lightbulb had broken into my house and killed my entire family, all that was left a higher than neccessary electricity bill and some bloody hand prints

Since that day i have made it my life mission to rid the world of those monsterous lightbulbs.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Go for the LED's

Floresant is not a solution, it has side effects and why replace yesterdays technology with today’s when we have tomorrow’s.

It’s comical they choose light bulbs when SUV's might make a bigger impact.

Either way I hope this stirs the pot for energy conservation.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I think its well worth it.
A figure I heard was that if every household in America were to switch to energy efficient bulbs it would be the equivalent of removing 1 million cars from the road.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
A better plan is just remove 1 million cars from the road.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I like my 100 watt incandescents, fluorescent lighting is to white for my taste. I believe we should be taking steps to conserve energy but aren't there other steps we should be considering first? How about we make the LAPD switch to Chevy Aveo squad cars.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I would agree with the ban. I use full spectrum flourescents in almost every light socket in my house. The only problems I have had are that some of the early model scure-in flourescents I had liked to get hot and smoke when they got older. Other than that, the full spectums are great - just like being outside with a blue tint - makes one happy in the winter.

Before they ban SUV's they need to ban government (and actor) travel by limo and unnecessary air travel by the same govt officials. Video conference with the people you need to see in Tahiti!

As for LED's, I have not kept up with developments, but weren't they prohibitively expensive? Have they solved that yet?

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 05:59 AM
link   
australia has announced they will ban old lightbulbs by 2012 also

story here

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
The use of the word "ban" is a little disingenuous here. There won't be a lightbulb gestapo smashing in your door for burning an incadescent.

However, no new incadescents will be made in the state / country, and likely no imports, either.

Saying that they're "banned" is a lot like saying the classic VW Beetle is "banned". They're no longer in production and are becoming rather hard to obtain, that's all.

posted on Feb, 20 2007 @ 06:20 AM
link   
By 2012 LEDs should be the only viable solution, currently they are developing in a franttic pace and there are several projects to develope street lighting with LED tehcnology. I think Seattle allready uses those? but out here they are developing a "winter proof" system (with -38C temperature last week i can say LEDs work in all conditions
)

join