It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

(WHNWC) The Watchers - nyk537

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
“I certainly believe that UFOs are really on occasion extraterrestrial craft visiting earth, so to me that means that our government, our military at some level they know they're here, and they're either frightened of them because they don't know, or they wish to figure a way to defend against them.” – Art Bell
Linky

The Watchers

Corey Daniels turned his head as he began to hear that terrible screeching sound again. He peered out his bedroom window and saw a massive craft extend a gigantic drill into the top of his truck. Suddenly everything flashed a brilliant white and disappeared. The only thing that remained was the constant, horrible sound that had been left by the spaceship. Hearing a noise behind him, he turns around to see a large cloaked figure pointing a finger at him. The cloaked figure begins to remove the hood of his cloak when…

The sound of the telephone ringing startled Corey out of his deep slumber. He felt as if he had been asleep for several days. Looking at his alarm clock he realized he hadn’t even been asleep for several hours. It was 2.47 a.m.

“Who in god’s name would call at this hour”? He thinks.

As he reaches to answer the phone a strange thought passes through his mind. The moment his hand touches the receiver Corey Daniels thinks this will be the final phone conversation of his life.

“Hello? Who is this?” Corey stutters.

The voice on the other end is a familiar one. It’s Glenn Greene, his boss at NASA. Corey had been working at NASA now for almost a year, and Glenn was the only one who he had really connected with. He also felt he was the only one there who wasn’t keeping secrets from him; the only one who he could trust. Corey’s main job was working on software developments for the Hubble Telescope. He also spent endless hours sifting through data that the Hubble sent back to them. It was about this data that his boss was calling.

“Listen Corey,” Glenn said. “We’ve got some major problems down here. The Hubble has gone out again. We have lost all power at the most unfortunate time imaginable”.

Corey laughed to himself trying to imagine a good time for the telescope to stop working. This wasn’t the first time this had happened, and the blame usually got thrown his direction.

“What makes this a bad time”, Corey said. “There’s never a good time for crap like this.”

There was a long pause on the line as Glenn tried to find the best way to describe what was happening.

“Right before the telescope went down we received some startling images. What we saw caused an immediate panic. It got even worse when the piece of crap went down and we couldn’t get a better look. We have, however, reviewed the images we do have extensively. There is no denying what we just witnessed.”

“And what was that”? Corey stammered. His pulse was quickening rapidly.

“What we have just seen”, Glenn said, “is an alien spacecraft taking off from Mars”.

For what seemed like an eternity no one spoke. This information slowly began to sink into Corey Daniel’s head. This was the most amazing news he had ever heard! His head began to swim considering the implications this would have all over the world. What discoveries could they make? Would there be contact? Thoughts continued to pop into his mind when suddenly Glenn broke the silence.

“That’s not all either” Glenn said, suddenly sounding very serious. “Have you spoken to anyone else or turned on a television in the past two hours”?

“No” Corey said, “I’ve been sleeping”. “Why? What’s going on?”

“After we saw the ship and the telescope blacked out, we began to get reports from all over the world of spaceships entering the atmosphere and landing; actually landing on earth! It was all over the news worldwide. We’ve now confirmed at least one craft touched down in every country in the world Corey! It was amazing!”

One world stuck out in Corey’s mind. “What do you mean was Glenn”?

“That’s why I called you. After the ships had all landed, they began their attack.” Glenn said in a somber voice.

Once again there was silence. All the thoughts that had only moments ago been dashing through Corey’s head were gone. Now they had been replaced with thoughts of utter horror and disbelief. Nothing he had ever imagined could have prepared him for the news he had just heard.

“What do you mean attacking”? Corey asked. “Just what the hell is actually going out there”? He screamed.

Glenn paused for a moment before he spoke again. “The reports we have now show the attacks have been moving in a circular pattern all over the globe. Several cities across the country have already been destroyed completely. Our defenses are no match for them. Based on the path of the attacks, our Intel shows they should be in our area anytime now. I just wanted to let you know what was going on in case you didn’t know”.

Once again Corey had to pause to allow this information to sink in. He began to ask Glenn another question when the telephone suddenly turned to static. At the same time all the electricity in his house went dead. For a brief moment, there was complete and total silence.

Suddenly, out of the silence, Corey began to hear a terrible drilling noise. It cut through his brain like a knife causing him to bend over in pain. He ran to the window and threw open the curtains. What he saw was almost enough to make his mind simply stop.

Outside he saw people running and screaming in fear. Some of them were on fire; others were simply trying to find someplace to hide. In the distance he saw flames leaping into the air. Out of the corner of his eye he saw a giant ship swoop down from the sky and hover directly over the house across the street from him. From the belly of the ship extended a long metal tube which began sucking people up like a vacuum cleaner. Nothing he was seeing made any sense at all. He had no context for this.

As he was trying to comprehend what was going on he heard an odd clicking noise behind him. He spun around and felt himself slip into insanity. Standing behind him was a large figure wearing a long black cloak. The creature must have been at least 8 feet tall and was extending a long finger towards him. In the shadow cast by the hood of the figures cloak, Corey began to see a brilliant white light. Suddenly he was at peace.

Within the span of an instant Corey Daniels suddenly knew everything there was to know. He understood why these beings were here, and why they were doing this to earth. In that one second, he was keeper to all the knowledge in the universe. Just as quick as it had come, it was all gone. The light from the creatures’ eyes vanished in a bright flash. When the flash had subsided, the figure was gone.

Corey Daniels house exploded in an enormous ball of fire.

```````````````````````
edit to include link only

[edit on 31/1/07 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Was the figure with the black cloak one of the aliens or was it a messenger come to teach him something?

Great story, btw.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I would like to say it was a messenger who had come to teach him a lesson about something. I can't say that however. The truth is this is just a depressing look at the ET scenario. They didn't come for anything, and gave no reason for attacking earth. It just happened. There were no answers to any questions. Could it possibly happen like that for real?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
They didn't come for anything, and gave no reason for attacking earth. It just happened. There were no answers to any questions. Could it possibly happen like that for real?

I don't know...I would like to think it would be like in your story where Corey's mind was opened for a moment and he "understood why these beings were here, and why they were doing this to earth."

I think that if we as earthbound humans were given a moment of clarity like that...a moment of supreme perspective...that would be one hell of a parting gift.

Nice work, nyk.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essedarius
I think that if we as earthbound humans were given a moment of clarity like that...a moment of supreme perspective...that would be one hell of a parting gift.

Agreed. Even if it were the last thing we knew. Would the clarity really be worth that though? I'm sure to many it would. It is something to think about though.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   
There would have to be a reason for them to come all the way to Earth. Even if it were just for their entertainment, they would still have a purpose for coming. The only way I can see them coming for no reason, is if they were plotted to land on a random planet and mankind attacked them first, causing them to kill everyone.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Hey, great job man. I really enjoyed this. I'd hate to nitpick... but what else is a forum for...

You seem to go between past and present tense a lot (he thinks or says one line, and then he thought or said the next). This seems to be more of an issue toward the beginning than the end. Also, when writing dialogue, the punctuation always goes inside of the quotations. If you want to do a full stop, use a comma and then end with your he said (not a capital He). So...

"Those muffins look delicious," he said.

not

"Those muffins look delicious." He said.

If you want to break it up, use a comma...

"I would really love to," she said, "but I just don't have the time."

If you want to use a ? or ! or whatever, for some reason they don't count as sentence stops...

"OMG you're hot!" he said.

Ok, I'm a total square. I'm not trying to be a teacher/jerk, just thought these things are handy to know. I've only recently learned a few of them myself.

Anywho, like I said, I really enjoyed your story. I thought the dialogue flowed naturally and I liked the rather sudden ending. Good work.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Lilin]

top topics

join