It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NIGHTMARE: Woman gives birth, hospital makes her Quadruple Amputee...won't say why!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by WalkInSilence
....and perhaps even more amazed that the we American people continue to constitute leaders who permit such acts.

You're joking right? You can't be trying to lay this at the doorstep of Nancy Pelosi can you?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Not necessarily. She would have known she had problems, but if she is an immigrant or temporary worker, she may not have gone into the hospital until she was actively in labor.

Very true, many immigrants don't have the money to pay the expensive (too expensive, imo) bills and they worry about being deported back to Mexico or wherever else they came from....so they ride it out as long as they can until a family member or someone else throws the flag and gets them the medical help they need.

But not in her case. She's married to an American and judging from the video, she speaks great english. So I guess we can rule any miscommunication between her and the nurses and she probably had no reason to not keep away from hospitals.

Sporty

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Something sounds like a load of Male Bovine Fecies here.

Streptococcous, Group B

This says nothing about it not being easily treatable. Nor does it equate to having to turn this poor mother into a quadruple amputee.

I think that a lawyer on this case is going to make this woman very rich off of this sad excuse for and excuse!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I hope she can raise enough funds and find a decent lawyer (does such a thing exist) to sue their ass and have them imprisoned.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
she should sue for enough to get one of these bionic arms here
woman-with-bionic-arm-given-back-sense-of-to uch
is there any more news about this woman?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I always try to find the silver lining in everything. So here it is. At least she won't ever have to change a poop filled diaper.

I know, I know.....I'm going to hell.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:24 PM
link   
no matter what happened this woman's life has been forever drasticly altered by this hospitals mess up. So this hospital needs to be held accountable for their actions. I don't think that a judge or jury in the world won't listen to this woman seriously and not award her compensation. I bet she could go into the court by herself and get a huge settlement just by saying

LOOK WHAT THEY DID TO ME!

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Damn

wow

WOW....

she better get an ASSLOAD of money, that is messed up like whoa.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by lombozo
I always try to find the silver lining in everything. So here it is. At least she won't ever have to change a poop filled diaper.

I know, I know.....I'm going to hell.

Know now she will have to do it with her teeth. No lie. I saw a documentary or a women in the same condition as her and changed the diapers with her teeth and kind of waddled about.

She was an amazing women for sure.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I'm really surprised that someone is posting this now - it happened over a year ago - but I guess it's better late than never. :-) But for those who are new to this story, read on.

People may be familiar with the sore-throat strain of strep, Streptococcal pharyngitis, but she contracted this strain of strep: necrotizing fasciitis. She just wants to know how she contracted it and why the hospital had to perform such drastic measures (a lot of the reason why she has to sue the hospital is because they can't give her certain answers because of doctor-patient confidentiality crap).

For those not familiar with necrotizing fasciitis: an individual who contracts it will be pumped full of antibiotics and will always need infected tissue removed, whole limbs, or anything else deemed infected. Infected tissue is like a domino effect (related to the bacteria releasing massive amounts of toxins that help to bring destruction of skin and muscle), if it is not removed immediately, it will spread like a wildfire throughout the individual's system.

Also, not only did she contract necrotizing fasciitis, but she had a little Toxic Shock Syndrome as well. The fact of the matter is that she came down with the worst of the worst. It's entirely possible that the doctors did exactly what they had to do to save her life.

[edit on 2-4-2007 by EmbryonicEssence]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
no matter what happened this woman's life has been forever drasticly altered by this hospitals mess up. So this hospital needs to be held accountable for their actions.

I could not agree more. In America though, where the health system is privatized, the only way to make them accountable is to make it so expensive for them so that they cannot afford for it to happen again. Hopefully other hospitals wont be able to afford such horrible incidents, either.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 01:39 AM
link   
embryonic
I first posted the story almost exactly a year ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This thread is a duplicate, but it has generated so much discussion I didn't think it ought to be closed.

My opinion is that it wasn't necessarily a mistake on the part of doctors taking her limbs, we don't really know the circumstances except what we're told.

Letting her contract the disease in the first place, however, seems like malpractice to me. The hospital is not supposed to get you sick.

And the reason why this 'harmless' little infection got so serious, is because hospitals and other so-called 'sterile' environments tend to accelarate the process of natural selection and produce super-bugs that are resistant or immune to suppressive technologies like astringents and anti-bacterial solutions.

There was another story a little while back about the bacteria in some harbor or another that had gotten really bad because of the toxic crap in the water - only the strong survive. In this case, just falling in the water with an open wound cost some people their lives. I think it might have been Hawaii, but I'm not sure.

We should be congratulating ourselves - like the quintessential mad scientist, we have created a vastly superior lifeform, and now it's going about its business..killing us.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
embryonic
I first posted the story almost exactly a year ago.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

OMG! No wonder I didn't see your thread!

I just checked the date of the original article I posted, and it DOES say 2006.

Here's the really strange part. I think I pulled it from a news monitoring site under "current events".

Not only was my source sloppy, but I apparently was too!

So sorry... I should have caught that.

:shk:

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 04:12 AM
link   
No worries, seriously.

I think it's an interesting and important story, no harm in bringing it back to life to generate more discussion.

It's not like this is the only case involving hospital-acquired infections - this one is just so extreme it gets more attention than the countless poor schmucks who 'just' lose a toe or a leg, or half of their left hand.

The trend is toward more amputations, and more fatalities. If what I've read is accurate, hospital acquired infections have been steadily rising for years, and account for ~80,000 deaths a year in America (many of them preventable). That's more than 25 9/11's annually, not even taking into account the millions who suffer but don't die. :shk:

These infections also kill a fair number of newborns every year, if I'm not mistaken.

So, no harm in raising awareness, even if this particular incident is a year old.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Seems like the doctors DID tell her about the surgury, they told her either they had to amputate or she would die, and she made the choice:

www.wesh.com...

Still not a good situation but a little easier to swallow. The main concern is they just want to know how she caught the bacteria. But it wasn't so much that they put her to sleep and she woke up with no limbs.

Claudia Mejia knows her life will never be the same. Twelve days after giving birth to her son Matthew, doctors gave her a choice no one would ever want to make.

"If I want to live, they want to cut off my arms and legs. If I don't, I'll keep my arms and legs but I'll die. Is this a dream?" Mejia said.

One year later, and she still doesn't know how she contracted Strep A and doesn't know why.

"Every day I ask myself what happened. What they don't want to tell me. I just want some information," she said.

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Wow.

In a word, take your vitamins, eat healthy, exercise regulary, and...

keep a stash of heroin handy to OD on when you need it...

Oh, that's right, someone else will need to inject it!

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   
im completely stunned...

I wonder what they do wtih the severed limbs....

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I beleive waste like that is usually incinerated.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join