It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NIGHTMARE: Woman gives birth, hospital makes her Quadruple Amputee...won't say why!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe

Its good to see a lawsuit that will not

be frivolous!!!

Tell me about it!!!!!

I smell a rat, something is not right with the so call reason for the surgery, I think something went very wrong with her and some kind of mistake and bad decisions were made.

I have surgery two times I will make sure next time that I have something in written that ensure that I will be wide awake before another procedure not related to the one I am going for it and explained to me is done.

This to incredible to let go.

One of my sons friend have surgery for a broken femur after a car accident, he came out fine, the femur heal fine but when he went back one year later to have the screws removed, he got the skin eating diseases and a hole was formed where he got the screws removed.

He didn't lost his leg it took long and painful treatment but he got over it, my son said that you could fit a fist in his open wound.

Occurs he is now suing.

This women amputations made no sense, how in the world she got the infection so bad in such small amount of time and spread to only her limbs!!!!!!

Whent the contact was made during her labor and in another parts of her body.

Fishy.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I worked in hospitals for 6 years, and have seen several women go in for delivery or other simple medical procedures, and either get a flesh eating outbreak, or develop Toxic shock sysndrome; and in both cases, the patient will very often lose all of their limbs.

You do not see many medical practitioners opting to have elective surgery, because they know the risk. Obviously, having a delivery is not elective, and is a calculated risk. One of the hospitals I worked at was demolished, because there were numerous airborne strains, living in the ventilation systems; resulting in a number of patients dying from secondary infections. They built a new hospital, and the mortality rate went down. There are a lot of hospitals in this country that are over 25 years old, which lack the modern ventilation systems, used to keep these airborne infections at bay. Keep in mind, there are a lot of sick people in hospitals, and you are breathing the same air.....

If I have to be in a hospital, I only choose newer hospitals for this very reason; to lessen the risk of secondary infections. Something to consider if you ever do have to get hospitalized. Frankly, if she came down with an airborne infection, I am surprised this made the news, it happens quite a bit more than anyone realizes. This I know for a fact, because I saw it several times with my own eyes, and worked on the patients. It is heartbreaking to witness. The destruction of the hospital, and the costs of building a new hospital to lessen the rate of infections was absolutely justified. I certainly hope the hospital adminstrators are taking a serious look at their processes, as well as their facility.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
The finger was supposedly found in chili, not chicken nuggets. Yes, that case nearly bankrupted Wendy's and could have had the truth not come out. The woman wasn't physically injured though and I don't see someone consenting to having all their limbs amputated just to be able to file a lawsuit. I would rather die than live out the rest of my life like that.

If she really had this bacteria bad enough to amputate her limbs, it would have affected her torso as well. Also, it often kills if it gets to that stage. I find that scenario unlikely.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:19 PM
link   
huh...... no?

That's just huh....

Yeah, im speechless as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It is pretty common for a person to lose their limbs during a life and death struggle against an infection. The body will do whatever it needs to do, to protect the vital organs; which includes shutting down circulation to the extremities in order to protect the torso. I have seen it happen many times, and it is absolutley horrible to watch. In some cases, even that was not enough, and soon the organs shut down. From my own experience, once a patient went into renal failure (shutting down of the kidneys), the patient was not likely to survive.

My advice....stay out of hospitals unless it is absolutley necessary to be there.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by basecamp1
I worked in hospitals for 6 years, and have seen several women go in for delivery or other simple medical procedures, and either get a flesh eating outbreak, or develop Toxic shock sysndrome; and in both cases, the patient will very often lose all of their limbs.

You do not see many medical practitioners opting to have elective surgery, because they know the risk. Obviously, having a delivery is not elective, and is a calculated risk. One of the hospitals I worked at was demolished, because there were numerous airborne strains, living in the ventilation systems; resulting in a number of patients dying from secondary infections. They built a new hospital, and the mortality rate went down. There are a lot of hospitals in this country that are over 25 years old, which lack the modern ventilation systems, used to keep these airborne infections at bay. Keep in mind, there are a lot of sick people in hospitals, and you are breathing the same air.....

If I have to be in a hospital, I only choose newer hospitals for this very reason; to lessen the risk of secondary infections. Something to consider if you ever do have to get hospitalized. Frankly, if she came down with an airborne infection, I am surprised this made the news, it happens quite a bit more than anyone realizes. This I know for a fact, because I saw it several times with my own eyes, and worked on the patients. It is heartbreaking to witness. The destruction of the hospital, and the costs of building a new hospital to lessen the rate of infections was absolutely justified. I certainly hope the hospital adminstrators are taking a serious look at their processes, as well as their facility.

I have never heard of a woman losing limbs because of TSS. en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

He didn't lost his leg it took long and painful treatment but he got over it, my son said that you could fit a fist in his open wound.

That's a fantastic mental picture when you are eating... :0

[edit on 31-1-2007 by selfless]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   
WOW thats a tragic dilema

I feel sorry for the woman

I will be interested to hear anything more about this story please.
I wonder how much the hospital is going to charge her for a birth and quadruple amputation, she should sue for damages for sure.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I have seen it, and it is awful. The fingers and toes begin to turn black and whither......then all the way up. The doctors start amputating a portion at a time, to prevent other issues, like gangrene, etc. Frankly, over the years since I worked in the medical industry I have managed to put these experiences behind me. It has been 15 years since I worked as a Pulmonary Technician, so hopefully the frequency has gone down as facilties and technical progress has been made.

Secondary infections are really not suspicious in my opinion, but they can be deadly. When people are in hospitals, they are usually at their lowest point, when it comes to fighting off viruses, infections, etc. Secondary infections are a real concern to any medical professional. In fact, they are one of the worst ways I can think of to die, based on what I saw and experienced.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by megaslayer
I wonder how much the hospital is going to charge her for a birth and quadruple amputation, she should sue for damages for sure.

Wow, imagine waking up with out arms and legs and someone hands you a bill for the amputations and you can't even hold it...

If they charge her on top of ruinning her life then that hospital is wack.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by basecamp1
I am surprised this made the news, it happens quite a bit more than anyone realizes.

I am very glad you are here and I am very glad that you posted this .. but I should also say that you have just scared the stuff'n out of me. YIKES!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:12 PM
link   
from the original article:

"The hospital maintains the woman wants to know information that would violate other patients' rights."

in my opinion, hospitals shouldn't care about what lawyers may care about

one would think that, when entering a hospital, one would be given every bit of information available about one's current state and every bit of information on how to fix it...

i guess not

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

The hospital, in a letter, wrote that if she wanted to find out exactly what happened, she would have to sue them.

That makes sense to me considering how cases like that would go. The reason no one ever goes to court over disclosing sensitive info is because the sensitive information would have to be repeated in court and put down on record as part of the case.

Here, I would imagine it would be the same. The hospital says, "We aren't allowed to release this info legally," and the court says, "What info?" and then the hospital would have to disclose it for a judgment to be made.

What's wrong isn't just that they didn't tell her why, but that they didn't tell her BEFORE they did it!

Even if it was a quadruple amputation or death, I would at least want to have some role in that decision, considering it would be my life.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluesquareapple
The only reason they would have pulled the patient privacy card is if she contracted it from an infected person in the hospital. If this was the case, sterility in hospitals is far from sufficient. Also, if they knew someone was infected with contagious form of flesh eating bacteria, they should have been monitoring other patients very closely. From doing a bit of research, early stages of this infection can be treated by antibiotics.

No matter what, this is the doctors' fault. Everyone from the people delivering the baby to the surgeon performing the amputations should lose their license and be put in jail for a long, long time..

If that's the case I wonder why the would have someone with such a disease anywhere near the labor ward or floor. Even if that person with the bacteria was pregnant she should've been somewhere else within the hospital.

Perhaps they didn't realize what they had spreading around the hospital. If so then the case becomes, what should've they have known based on a reasonable expectation of medical staff to recognize the condition.

The article says she was held 12 days for "complications" and then transferred to another hospital where she woke up and her limbs were gone. I don't quite understand how it got to a point after 12 days where she didn't know what she had and how they wouldn't have had the time to inform her or family member about the surgery they were going to perform.

I know the new HIPAA laws don't allow medical folk to release almost any medical information but I would think as long as they didn't disclose names that it would be acceptable since it directly pertains to this lady's medical condition. It will be interesting to see how this case plays out and if it has any ramifications on the HIPAA laws.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Infections are pretty bad in hospitals I'm sure.

The local hospital here messed me up so bad I almost lost the lower part of my left leg. I went in there with a badly sprained ankle, and wouldn't have even gone in there for that had I not been worried something was broken. They did x-rays then wrapped it up really tight with bandage. I told nurse it felt too tight and she insisted it was supposed to be that way and to leave it on for I think it was ten days. A few days later I couldn't stand the pain anymore from the bandages and took them off. They were so tight that it cut through my skin and my muscles were exposed. It hurt really bad. I had infection set in and went to a different hospital. Pus was literally oozing out all over the place and my leg was so swollen I had trouble putting pants on and couldn't wear socks. The doctor there said she'd never seen anything so bad before and I was put on very expensive antibiotics and was told to keep gauze on it and change frequently. Had to change the gauze every 30 minutes to an hour instead because the pus would saturate the gauze in no time. Had to buy 30 cases of gauze from seller on ebay to keep the wounds cleaned and had to rely on my neighbor for about everything. Lawyers said I couldn't sue though because there was no permanent damage. Had I lost my leg I could've sued. It cost me thousands in bills for gauze and stuff keeping my leg cleaned and was so gross seeing my muscles. The skin took a while to grow back but I only have faint scars now. The hospital successfully sued me though for the medical bills because I refused to pay them for what they did to me and I never will. I'll just take the ding on my credit. Had they any ethical standards at all they would never had the gall to bill me for their foul up. I have very bad circulation now in that ankle and it hurt at spells, but I am so glad I still have my leg whole intact.

Hospitals mess up like this all the time.

The same hospital nearly killed my sister in law last month. She went in with severe stomach pain that went up her side. Her blood pressure was extremely low, indicator of internal bleeding. The hospital gave her IV fluids, told her it was just "female problems" and to go home and rest. She passed out in waiting room while I went to get the car and while looking at her before I left to get the car I remembered thinking "she's dying." The hospital still wouldn't treat her seriously, even though her blood pressure was deathly low. They wanted to just give her more IV fluids to get BP up and send her on home. Before she went into a coma like state, she asked my father to take her to this other hospital in another town. He had to carry her to the car and met her mother on the way and they got her in the e.r. This hospital examined her and her BP bombed all the way then and rushed her into emergency surgery. They had to cut her 4 times to find where the bleeding was coming from and even started cutting before meds kicked in. She nearly died. She had a ruptured ovarian cyst. Had my father not rushed her out of this hospital, she would've died there with IV fluids running into her arm. Thanks to wonderful tort reform in this state, she cannot sue the hospital. She's been told by lawyers that in order to sue she would have had to been rushed out of that hospital in an ambulance called for by this same hospital which dismissed her problem as menstrual cramps. So essentially, she would have had to have died in order for there to be a law suit because that hospital would have never called for her an ambulance for somewhere else.

This same hospital refused to even see this one man. He's my mother's boss's father or uncle. I forget all the details, but he went in there very sick with no insurance and they sent him away saying that you wouldn't go into a car lot and get something and you won't get anything here.

Tort reforms only protect the guilty. Medical costs would go up regardless and the medical profession would just find something else to blame the high costs on.

I would much rather be dead though than to go through life with no arms and legs. That is not living at all. I feel so bad for this poor woman. She's basically an invalid now who'll feel helpless the rest of her life dependent on her husband to take care of her.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I don't even know what they hell to say??????

WTF! is going on these days.

hmmmm. I think will just cut your legs off and not give any explantion, but if you want the truth take us to court.

I don't think she will ever get the truth even in court. This is the weirdest story I have ever read.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempeThis woman may never know what its like to hold her child but she will know what its like to be filthy, filthy RICH.
It's news items like this that get me so outraged at the state of the world we live in, I agree with you 150%, this woman will have no problem finding a "balls to the wall" lawyer to not only take but win her case!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluesquareapple
The only reason they would have pulled the patient privacy card is if she contracted it from an infected person in the hospital.

Indeed. If she had the disease before she went to the hospital, she would have noticed it. The hospital had probably placed in a close vicinity as a patient with the infection, and they're using confidentiality to keep their doctors from losing their license.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by shai hulud
Well, better get used to more of this when socialized medicine is emplented in this country. At least this lady can sue the hospital, ever try to sue the government?

well I hope they dont implement socialized medicine because things like this will become a common occurance. Free medical is a bad idea, anyone ever heard the horror stories from military hospitals?

Besides, medicine is one of the few strong industries we have left in the United States, socialized medicine will hurt that dramatically.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
It would seem that a condition severe enough to dictate amputation of all her liimbs would require the hospital to warn the person no?

And infact the whole thing is very very fishy and farfetch. I don't think she had any problems at all.

I honestly don't know what happened in that hospital but it strongly seems like the hospital messed up like no one has ever messed up before.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join