It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NIGHTMARE: Woman gives birth, hospital makes her Quadruple Amputee...won't say why!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Woman Becomes Quadruple Amputee After Giving Birth

A Sanford mother says she will never be able to hold her newborn because an Orlando hospital performed a life-altering surgery and, she claims, the hospital refuses to explain why they left her as a multiple amputee.

The woman filed a complaint against Orlando Regional Healthcare Systems, she said, because they won't tell her exactly what happened. The hospital maintains the woman wants to know information that would violate other patients' rights.

Claudia Mejia gave birth eight and a half months ago at Orlando Regional South Seminole. She was transported to Orlando Regional Medical Center in Orlando where her arms and legs were amputated. She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.

The hospital, in a letter, wrote that if she wanted to find out exactly what happened, she would have to sue them.

More...

I'm speechless...

How is this even possible????

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Loam, I just sat there a moment staring at the screen from what you just posted. I am rarely speechless, this is just nuts. It seems that after removing four limbs from her body, they wouldn't have a problem giving her specifics.

And what in the hell violation of other patient's privacy rights is it when she is the amputee?

Unless they don't want to admit that there was another patient with a flesh eating disease that the staff did not correctly quarantine, and they are trying to cover their own butts.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Im surprised they didnt change the sex of her baby while they were at it.

Why ruin one life when you can ruin two?

Im not a doctor but how could all of her limbs get a massive strep infection but not her torso?

Id be flipping mad. Get it? Flipping? Flippers? No arms? Oh, Im going to hell.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
WOW! Un F'in believeable!!

If this was a botched job then everyone who was in the operating room at the time should be jailed and the hospital should be sued. The hospital board members should be sued and jailed.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Say what?
Is this how things are going?
Giant corporations make money by gathering and selling information about you, but if you want to find out about you, it requires a lawsuit.

Privacy is a thing of the past, and evidently so is accountability.

I cant believe that the hospital says 'sue us' if you want to know what happened to you.

Had this happened to my wife......
a lawsuit is the last thing they would have to worry about.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82 they are trying to cover their own butts.

I think that about sums it up. However, when a hospital removes your limbs without telling you first, I would imagine their butts are somewhat exposed.

I'd like to find out when they determined she had the disease and if she was ill before entering the hospital. I've been seeing the flesh eating bacteria thing popping up a bit recently and there was a thread here about how this is becoming a problem here in the states. Perhaps she came in with it and they saw it and did what was necessary. Always more to the story but they still need to notify you when they plan on doing something as drastic as removing your arms and legs.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
This is so wrong. This poor woman and partner were probably looking forward to the most memorial day of their lives for it to be totally ruined and at that the day that changed her life forever.

She has a right to know why they did that to her for crying out loud.

What did the hospital expect? That this woman is of sheeple mentallity so will not ask and just go along with their excuses and be grateful she is still alive. Sod that every person involved in that decision should be sued and jailed.

They should only perform such an op if it was imminent death otherwise.

Over here in the UK i would expect a family member or the patient themselves would be asked for their permission first and would be told every last detail

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The only reason they would have pulled the patient privacy card is if she contracted it from an infected person in the hospital. If this was the case, sterility in hospitals is far from sufficient. Also, if they knew someone was infected with contagious form of flesh eating bacteria, they should have been monitoring other patients very closely. From doing a bit of research, early stages of this infection can be treated by antibiotics.

No matter what, this is the doctors' fault. Everyone from the people delivering the baby to the surgeon performing the amputations should lose their license and be put in jail for a long, long time..

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Wow, this one I will follow! I would love to hear the full story, but I am sure they cannot publish that as it would help the hospital build their case.

Where was the family? Did any Dr's or Nurses explain this to them? PRIOR to the sugery? I didn't know they could just do something as severe as this without asking first or explaining exactly why OR giving the family second and third opinion options. Like I said I would love to hear the full story, and I will watch.

Just imagine a nurse knowing what really happened and is keeping their mouth shut. I say this because someone has to know the truth behind this all. If I was a nurse in that facility and read this report I would risk my job to gather the evidence. This is just absolutely discusting!!!!

WOW loosing 4 limbs I say this is one major multi million dollar lawsuit!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Well, better get used to more of this when socialized medicine is emplented in this country. At least this lady can sue the hospital, ever try to sue the government?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
They refuse to tell her???

This woman may never know what its like to hold her child but she will know what its like to be filthy, filthy RICH.

This hospital is very lucky i'm not the patient.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
She caught that flesh eatting disease. The hospital refuses to say how she caught it and that she'll have to sue to find out. OMG .. what a NIGHTMARE! I can't even imagine!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:19 AM
link   
This is a first. Lombozo is rendered speechless..................

What? How? Huh?

I am not a litigous person at all, but that woman should sue the hospital, and every single person who was involved for every single cent they have. This may very well be the most heinous story I've ever heard. Not only was this CRIME committed - the way they are handling themselves in the aftermath is absolutely unforgivable.

I hope that I speak for alot of us here at ATS - I'm sending lots of prayers in the womans direction.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I know if I were the husband or a relative, I'd be going John Q on their arse right about now. Sorry for the one line but I'm too speachless right now.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Terrible episode. I feel awful for that woman...but

The "news" story is undoubtedly the worst journalistic attempt I've ever seen. It leaves the reader with many, many questions, and was obviously written in a sensationalized style.

The hospital is undoubtedly withholding information regarding how she became infected or why it wasn't detected ant treated earlier because they are guilty of some kind of negligence. However, the story, very disgracfully, tries to convey the notion that they put the poor woman under and sawed off her limbs with no explanation or cause. I doubt she was not told beforehand, that they were going to attempt to remove comprimised tissue, or that she didn't sign a release that gave the doctors the permission to do whatever neccesary to save her life.

Sad sad story. I feel awful for her. And I think the hospitals refusal to release information regarding how she became infected is reprehensible and completely unacceptable. However unless there was a major communication problem I don't think they just amputated her limbs without cause and with out her implied consent.

I hope some lawyer will take this case pro-bono and she will get her answers.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   
This is beyond wrong.

I hope she gets enough from the lawsuit to fix her up with false limbs at least to get her some sort of a life. What kind of a life does she have now?

Why was she not given IV antibiotics instead? If the bacteria is caught in early stages, it's treatable. And having deformed limbs would even be better than having no limbs at all.

I'd stay far away from this hospital. To call it unprofessional would be a gross understatement for that place.

I think the reporters reported what information they had at the time. The poor woman doesn't seem to know much about what happened herself. The hospital knows and isn't telling.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This woman was taken to surgery without telling her that she was to lose her limbs.

No explanations as how she caught the infection, hummmm

Law sue in order and also this will be making head lines for long time.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Its good to see a lawsuit that will not

be frivolous!!!

This just boggles the mind. Poor thing.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MicheleLee
Wow, this one I will follow! I would love to hear the full story...

Likewise! Anyone with followup news stories, please post them.

Where was the family? Did any Dr's or Nurses explain this to them? PRIOR to the sugery? I didn't know they could just do something as severe as this without asking first or explaining exactly why OR giving the family second and third opinion options.

Thing is, they shouldn't be able to do this unless (perhaps) the person is in complete crisis (brought in after a car accident and they're doing emergency surgery to stop bleeding and so forth.)

But... patients have also been known to lie (remember the famous "I found a human finger in my chicken nuggets" lawsuit? Turned out the lady planted the evidence and lied.) Nor does the "you'll have to sue us to get access" make any sense.

I wonder if she speaks English poorly. That could cause communications problems where the staff would be fairly certain they told her something and got her agreement but where she didn't understand the language well enough to follow what was going on.

Here's what I found interesting:

She was told she had streptococcus, a flesh eating bacteria, and toxic shock syndrome, but no further explanation was given.

This suggests that she was NOT getting regular prenatal health care; that they were poor (or immigrants) and weren't able to afford health care, so she was brought into the hospital in pain and in labor.

Here's a FAQ on the bacteria:
www.faqs.org...

This page also indicates that flesh eating bacteria can CAUSE toxic shock syndrome:
www.hc-sc.gc.ca...

I'm wondering what else the patient and her family aren't tellling the news media -- like how long she'd been having pain or felt ill before she went in to have her baby. I'm not saying they're guilty of something -- only that there's a LOT more to this story than meets the eye.

After reading up on the disease, I'm certain she didn't get it at the hospital... that she was the one who brought it into the hospital.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Byrd]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Like another poster said, if I were the woman's husband, I would go John Q on the hosipital and get all the doctors, nurses, staff, anyone involved with the surgery and get the answers myself.

Anyways, wether the hospital is at fault or not, they should give her an explanation of why she was amputated.

This is sick

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join