It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anti-terror police arrest eight planning to kidnap and execute Muslim soldier

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Eight people have been arrested under the Terrorism Act in Birmingham in connection with an alleged plot to kidnap a British soldier.

A number of addresses in the city have been sealed off after morning raids.

Senior security sources told BBC News the raids were focused on a plot to target and kidnap a serving member of the British armed forces.

The operation, believed to have taken six months, involved police and security service MI5.

Source: news.bbc.co.uk...

Security services said today that they had foiled a suspected plot to kidnap and torture a British Muslim soldier recently returned from service abroad before beheading him live on the internet.

Eight men were arrested in a series of dawn raids at 12 addresses in Birmingham. John Reid, the Home Secretary, has been informed of the arrests and is receiving regular updates about the operation.

Security sources said that the carefully planned operation had averted the alleged plan to kill the soldier, which was in its later stages.

Source: www.timesonline.co.uk...

Proof, if any was necessary, that terrorists don't care who you are or what your religion is. These sick, twisted individuals planned to kidnap a Muslim serving in the British Army and apparently had plans to record his execution similar to those that have happened in Iraq in the past.

I remember a similar kidnap plot in Canada in which a group planned to kidnap and execute Canadian Members of Parliament last year.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Ste2652]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
It's not that the topic doesn't interest me but I've resisted rushing to comment as I've watched whatever news we're getting appear.

Tough cases these intel led ones, usually.

We've seen them come to nothing before and yet some are so absolutely on the money it's genuinely very frightening.

Much as I'd rather see the cops act and not risk disaster I just hope their sourcing is giving them quality info.

The last thing we need is poor intel, bungled raids and evidence free investigations.
They wouldn't go down too well and an alienated Muslim population is not going to help us one little bit in this 'war'.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I agree, sminkeypinkey. This is one we will have to watch.

As this unfolds, it will be interesting to know more about the intel trail and if this was just a UK only operation.

I have not seen similar stories from the US.

posted on Mar, 1 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
That the Law applies to everyone

new topics

top topics

join