It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joseph Biden Annouces Run for the US Presidency in 2008

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Is it the word clean that has everyone's panties in such a bunch?

Biden Calls Obama To Clarify

Joe Biden called Sen. Barack Obama (D-IL) to clarify his "clean" comment to the New York Observer, Biden told reporters in a conference call this afternoon. Biden said Obama told him: "You don't have to explain anything to me. I know exactly what you meant." Asked to clarify his comments, where he said Obama was "articulate and bright and clean," Biden said he "really" regretted the word "clean" was taken out of context. Biden: "My mother has an expression clean as a whistle sharp as a tack, that was the context." As to the effect it might have on the African-American vote, Biden: "I have no doubt that Jesse Jackson and other black leaders ... knew exactly what I meant. We have a very, very long relationship. ... There will be no misunderstanding."
Source

Biden told reporters that he‘d used the word "clean" to describe Obama as "fresh and new," and that the choice of words was not meant to disparage other black candidates who‘d run for president in the past, such as civil rights leaders Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton .
Source

Yeah, put the pitchforks away.
It's amazing that someone can be raked over the coals for calling someone else "clean".

I didn't mean anything racial by the use of the word "coals". I hope no one was offended.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

You're right, there is no comparison between what Lott said and what Biden said, or even what dem senator Byrd was (is?) - but nothing happens to the dems. Lott talked in a speech about what Senator Thurmond did many years ago. For that he was forced to resign his leadership posts. Biden's comment is first person, in the present - what he really thinks and feels now. Then Byrd was actually a KKK member - and he's still a committee chair.

That's my point exactly. there's a double standard.

My apologies, I misread your post. I fully understand the point you are making, however I belive this is being taken out of context. This wasn't intended to be a racial slur, if anything it was a jab at the democratic party. Yes there have been very articulate black republicans that have run in the past, and well.....the dems have Jessie Jackson and Carol Moseley Braun - forgive me if I have left anyone out here...
A poor choice of words yes, but hardly the racial slur some are attempting to make it out to be - I can only imageine what Hillary will try to do with that one...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, put the pitchforks away.
It's amazing that someone can be raked over the coals for calling someone else "clean".

I didn't mean anything racial by the use of the word "coals". I hope no one was offended.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Benevolent Heretic]

No pun intended, right? Somewhere off in the distance, we can hear a drum set.... buh dum, chhhh....

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It's not what he called Obama. It's what he generally implies about other black american politicians by calling Obama the FIRST.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
It's not what he called Obama. It's what he generally implies about other black american politicians by calling Obama the FIRST.

And which black politicians have run for president previously who are "articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy"?

"Clean" meaning without political scandal...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
So Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton are not "clean" or are they not mainstream, or both?

I found the comment racist and derogatory. But it will blow over. Why? Because he is a Democrat.

Double standard, no doubt!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Sorry to say that he is actually truthful when it comes with Obama been the fist clean black candidate, because to tell you the Truth, I like Sharpton but Jackson . . . you know the rest.

And even when I like Sharpton he and Jackson are not and will never be President materials.

Obama has a great career ahead of him even if he doesn't make it in 2008.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

"Clean" meaning without political scandal...

Really, BH, that is not the FIRST definition that comes to mind in the context of the statement.

Cut it any way you like. Even if you give Biden 100% the benefit of the doubt, it doesn't take a whole lot of consideration to foresee how this statement would be misinterpreted.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
Sorry to say that he is actually truthful when it comes with Obama been the fist clean black candidate, because to tell you the Truth, I like Sharpton but Jackson . . . you know the rest.

And even when I like Sharpton he and Jackson are not and will never be President materials.

Obama has a great career ahead of him even if he doesn't make it in 2008.

Well said!!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
So Jessie Jackson, Al Sharpton are not "clean" or are they not mainstream, or both?

I found the comment racist and derogatory. But it will blow over. Why? Because he is a Democrat.

Double standard, no doubt!

You are only trying to stoke a fire that isn't there. There wasn't any racism intended in the statement. All you need to do is take into account the persons character and their record. You are taking it out of context. If Trent Lott said this, yes it would be taken differently - NOT because he is a republican, but because of his history.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
I know it's not the first definition that comes to mind, but do you really think he'd say something like that and mean the first definition that comes to your mind? This guy is a seasoned politician, not an bumbling idiot. But he's not perfect, either.

And do you even consider that Obama knew exactly what he meant and Biden explained himself? Does his side of the story even matter at all?

Not when there's sensationalism to be had from it.

And yes, if he had a speech written with that in there it probably would have been taken out. But he was talking off the top of his head. There was no foresight He goofed. He admitted it and he's sorry he used that word, but he didn't mean what everyone's trying to make it out to be.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
It's not reallly about how Obama saw it. But, rather, how others might reasonably see it.

Stupid mistake for such a seasoned vetran...but a mistake nonetheless.

Should he be crucified? Of course not.

But don't think it won't cost him votes.

EDIT: I wasn't really looking for this, but it appears this isn't the first time he has made some stupid remark.

In thanking a young Indian-American man for the support of his Indian-American group, Sen. Biden touts how Indians are the fastest growing immigrant group in Delaware and says, "You CANNOT go into a 7-11 or a Dunkin Donuts without an Indian accent."

Link.

I'd say the guy has issues...

[edit on 31-1-2007 by loam]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I know it's not the first definition that comes to mind, but do you really think he'd say something like that and mean the first definition that comes to your mind? This guy is a seasoned politician, not an bumbling idiot. But he's not perfect, either.

And do you even consider that Obama knew exactly what he meant and Biden explained himself? Does his side of the story even matter at all?

Not when there's sensationalism to be had from it.

And yes, if he had a speech written with that in there it probably would have been taken out. But he was talking off the top of his head. There was no foresight He goofed. He admitted it and he's sorry he used that word, but he didn't mean what everyone's trying to make it out to be.

In American football when you have the ball you play offense and try to get something done. In American politics, it is apparently just the opposite - as soon as you get power, you begin to play defense. Democrats now have the ball and have started circling the wagons and defending anything and everything from members of their own - whether actually defensible, or not.

Where am I going with this? I just want to say, BH, way to play defense! Maybe you'll even get drafted by the pros ...

[edit on 1/31/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:59 PM
link   

[
In American football when you have the ball you play offense and try to get something done. In American politics, it is apparently just the opposite - as soon as you get power, you begin to play defense. Democrats now have the ball and have started circling the wagons and defending anything and everything from members of their own - whether actually defensible, or not.

Where am I going with this? I just want to say, BH, way to play defense! Maybe you'll even get drafted by the pros ...

[edit on 1/31/2007 by centurion1211]

Well, since we are going to make this a political thread...
considering the bang up job that the former gov did with the last 5 years, i would say the democrats have ALOT of breathing room as far sa making mistakes are concerned. Biden is being defended, because he is a good man, period. the last few republicans that were caught in a scandal dont deserve to have the same said about them.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:19 PM
link   

In American football ... BH, way to play defense!

This is not football and I am not a Democrat.

I don't get this football analogy everytime politics comes up! :shk:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I have only one thing to say about Joseph Biden presidential bid.

Be aware of the man who has nothing to lose.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Well, his comment about Obama was overblown in the press, imo. But the same cannot be said about his comments about Indians:

"I've had a great relationship. In Delaware, the largest growth in population is Indian-Americans moving from India. You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I'm not joking," Biden said.
www.cbsnews.com...

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:55 AM
link   
I don't think this is about any racism on Biden's part so much as it is sloppiness.

The kind of sloppiness that doesn't win the presidency.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:00 AM
link   
How is that a slam against Indian-Americans? They own every freakin' 7-11 in the U.S.!
They know it and I doubt they would take any offense to the statement.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
It's not politically correct. And I love it! Biden is not politically correct. Not by long shot. It's one thing I love about him. That's not to say he's racist. It's not a "one thing or the other" situation.

Off-topic
I used to work in an engineering group at GTE that just happened to be almost ALL foreign-born employees. We had Iranians, Iraqis, East Indians and Africans. White people were by far the minority. My boss's name was "Kamal". I was told to organize a group party. So I made an invitation sign:

We're having a party!

Come one!
Kamal!

and showed it to him before putting it up. He LOVED it! He laughed and approved it right away. That was back in the 80s before everyone knew they were supposed to get pissed off at stuff like that.

Biden apparently just doesn't care. I love that about him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join