It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joseph Biden Annouces Run for the US Presidency in 2008

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Jospeh Biden (D-DE) announced today that he is running for the Democratic nomination for president, ending months of speculation that he would most certainly be running. He brings foreign policy experience after years on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, and "is gambling that in a dangerous world, voters will choose experience over excitement - particularly regarding the Iraq war." This run follows a failed attempt for the nomination in 1988, when he was knocked out amid controversy surrounding his alledged plagiarism of one of British politican Neil Kinnock's speeches.

www.msnbc.msn.com
Democratic Sen. Joe Biden has been saying for months he's running for president. He made it official on Wednesday. The Delaware senator will file the paperwork with the Federal Election Commission and release a videotaped campaign message to voters on his Web site, www.joebiden.com. He also is planning another trip to New Hampshire early next week.

"After nine months of doing this, there is no exploratory committee - I'm running," Biden told The Associated Press.

A 34-year Senate veteran known for his foreign policy expertise and somewhat windy oratory, Biden acknowledged his campaign would generate little of the buzz surrounding the celebrity candidates New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Biden is running on a platform that emphasizes his foreign policy experience. The question remains to see whether he can overcome problems with his own name recognition. He also lacks the inherent luster of a Hillary Clinton (who would be the first female president and has comparable experience) and Barack Obama (who would be the first black president and has generated considerable excitement). He needs to do something quickly to put himself in the public eye.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by 12m8keall2c]

[edit on 1/31/2007 by Togetic]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Did he actually write his announcement or did he 'borrow' it?
Biden's plagiarism issues will surface as soon as Hillary is tired of throttling Obama. When Hillary is president I wouldn't be surprised to have Biden, who is running to her left these days, as Secretary of State.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   
My exact thought was... "I wonder who's announcement he used... Hussein Obama's or Billary's?"

One thing is for sure, he can't be the first to drop out...

Joe's on a fishing trip... Let's see if he even bothers to put bait on the hook.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Who!!!!!
Biden Who

He got not chance against Hillary and Obama popularity, hell he got no chance against Gulliani either and Gulliani is Republican.

Popularity is what the 2008 campaign is all about.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:40 AM
link   
C'mon guys, the plagiarism smack is old news. He's already admitted on national TV that he did it and he was sorry. The Republicans are going to have to come up with more than that this time.

Biden's my guy and I can't wait to see him destroy in the debates. Although I have a hard time seeing him winning the nomination, I think he'll end up as Secretary of State or VP.

Vote Biden 2008!!!

Peace

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:23 AM
link   
From Drudge...

SEN. BIDEN SHOCK INTERVIEW: OBAMA FIRST 'CLEAN' BLACK IN MAINSTREAM... 'I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy'...

The link to the full inteview is here. Because the server is so busy, I have not read it. However, it allegedly includes his comments about Hillary and others running against him.

He is going to need to do better than this to pull ahead.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
He is "clean" when you compare him to Al Sharpton. I don't see anything wrong with what he said.

Peace

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:35 AM
link   
First "clean" African American candidate?

Time for Joe to go back to school.

Oh, that's right... An a African American politician who isn't a Democrat lapdog can only be a "Tom." :shk:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
In theory, there is nothing much wrong with what he said, but people can easily spin it into a claim that he thinks that all other African American candidates have been not clean.

It's not necessarily about truth, it's about perception.

And from where I am standing, having worked on campaigns in the past, I frankly think if he makes gaffes like this on day one, he doesn't have the wherewithal to win the nomination.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I know someone who works for Biden. When asked if he thinks Biden has a chance, he just rools his eyes. Very telling from someone who works for the man.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I love Joe Biden. I disagree with him on a fair amount of issues, but he's a lot better than some who are in this race. Plus, I love his personality, his guts to stand up to others in Washington, his intelligence and I think he's highly electable.

I probably won't vote for him but I love him all the same!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Another news source with that 'clean Obama' comment Biden trashes the dems . He's giving all the dems in the field a hard time.

Seriously ... using that word 'clean' was a bad choice of words. As a long time politician he should have known better. Hillary will probably make him Secretary of State, Dr. Love, so your guy still has a future with the dems after all this is done.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Maybe some should try researching some other platforms that will be running for presidency in 08'. Last time I check the same two we have been putting into power have been giving us nothing in return but bad ideas that can only be made worse. Republican and Democratic ideas and view points are out dated and only repeat in actions with no results. Watching people put these morons who I might remind you are the same group of elite people who have been in Washington for the past 40 years makes me wonder how much our society has progressed.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:42 PM
link   

The Iraq he envisions has three ethnically homogenous enclaves, with a central government responsible for securing the country’s international borders and distributing oil revenues.

He’d put the Shiite majority in the south, limiting their geographic control but keeping them from being drawn into a wider Sunni-Shiite conflict.

He’d move the Sunni majority into the oil-poor Anbar province in the West, but they would be guaranteed a cut of oil revenues worth billions of dollars. Mr. Biden’s hope is that the oil money and relative calm would drain the loyal Baathist insurgency of support while simultaneously making the province less amenable to Al Qaeda provocateurs.

--New York Observer

I am not necessarily against this solution. But I cannot help but wonder how we deal with splitting the resources of the country if this is the direction we choose. What do other people think of this idea? And to not get too off topic, will this help Biden's run by proposing this solution?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
First "clean" African American candidate?

Time for Joe to go back to school.

Oh, that's right... An a African American politician who isn't a Democrat lapdog can only be a "Tom." :shk:

Biden needs to go back to school????? Just go back to school???

Sorry, but if some Republican had said something like this, the best they could hope for would be having to resign from office. Trent Lott's speech was worse than this? And he had to give up his Senate leadership post?

Give me a break.

There is truly a double standard for what dems can get away with doing and saying vs. Republicans, and this is just another example proving it so.

No, Biden needs to be hounded out of all his Senate posts and then out of office for these kinds of comments.

[edit on 1/31/2007 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
[
Biden needs to go back to school????? Just go back to school???

Sorry, but if some Republican had said something like this, the best they could hope for would be having to resign from office. Trent Lott's speech was worse than this? And he had to give up his Senate leadership post?

Give me a break.

There is truly a double standard for what dems can get away with doing and saying vs. Republicans, and this is just another example proving it so.

No, Biden needs to be hounded out of all his Senate posts and then out of office for these kinds of comments.

[edit on 1/31/2007 by centurion1211]

Put the torches and pitchforks down for a minute mmmkay?? Do we have any other links other than Drudge for petes sake?? I googled this and couldn't find one legitimate link to corroborate this story. Being a HUGE fan of Biden and one who has followed his actions for the last couple of years, i am highly skeptical of this statement.

On a side note, dont compare Biden to Lott - Lott is a segregationist who wants to repeal the civil act - the two aren't even in the same catagory.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun
Put the torches and pitchforks down for a minute mmmkay?? Do we have any other links other than Drudge for petes sake?? I googled this and couldn't find one legitimate link to corroborate this story. Being a HUGE fan of Biden and one who has followed his actions for the last couple of years, i am highly skeptical of this statement.

On a side note, dont compare Biden to Lott - Lott is a segregationist who wants to repeal the civil act - the two aren't even in the same catagory.

You should check the link to the NY Observer. There is also audio of the quote here.

I have also not heard of Lott having advocated for the repeal of the Civil Rights Act. Do you have documentation about that?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Talk about a candidacy that's over before it even began...

:shk:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LogansRun

You're right, there is no comparison between what Lott said and what Biden said, or even what dem senator Byrd was (is?) - but nothing happens to the dems. Lott talked in a speech about what Senator Thurmond did many years ago. For that he was forced to resign his leadership posts. Biden's comment is first person, in the present - what he really thinks and feels now. Then Byrd was actually a KKK member - and he's still a committee chair.

That's my point exactly. there's a double standard.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Biden has responded to the statement that he made.

www.youtube.com...

I appreciate that he has talked to Obama and told him what he meant, and he says that it was a compliment. He still needs to avoid statements like that in the future, though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join