It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could Another Major Natural Disaster Strike Asia Again Soon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   
Senior Professor of the Earth Sciences Department D.Chandrasekharam warns that a major disaster could occur again in Asia in the enar future. The professor gave this warning because the entire Java-Sumatra-Andaman island subduction zone has experienced an increase in seismic activity. Since December 25, 2006 more than 51 earthquakes of magnitude 4.2-7.5 were recorded in the last month.

"Since December 25, 2006 till Thursday morning, the entire Java-Sumatra-Andaman island subduction zone experienced more than 51 earthquakes varying in magnitude from 4.2 to 7.5 on the Richter scale," the noted expert said.

These include two major earthquakes - 7.1 magnitude in Taiwan on December 26 and 7.5 in Molucca sea. Also 4.9 and 6.1 magnitude earthquakes were recorded in Nicobar Islands.

Majority of these events are associated with "thrust fault", an underground phenomenon that had caused the 2004 tsunami killing nearly 2.5 million people across several countries, including India, he said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

There is one mistake in the above article. That I know of, there were no 2.5 million people killed by the tsunami. Probably there was a mistake in the translation. I have seen figures that in the 2004 tsunami up to 275,000 people were killed.

I did a search of other articles to see if there is any truth to this one, and found several other Indian newspapers reporting almost the same thing, except in some of the other Indian newspapers it says

2004 tsunami killing nearly 2.5 lakh

www.dnaindia.com...

A Lakh is equals to 100,000, so the article should read 250,000 people instead of the 2.5 million people the translation says. Appart from that it appears that it is true, there is a professor by that name being reported in major Indian newspapers as giving this warning.

I hope he is wrong.

Related News Links:
www.financialexpress-bd.com
www.rediff.com

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Muaddib]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I wouldn't be surprised if there were another large earthquake in Indonesia/Asia, there have been continuing earthquakes in the Kuril Islands area, and other than that there wasn't that many 5.0+ quakes except aftershocks of the Molucca sea quake.

And then there were two 6.0+ quakes quite close in time, which seems strange when they are not large aftershocks.

The Large Kuril Islands quakes were within 60 days of each other as well.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:52 AM
link   

There is one mistake in the above article. That I know of, there were no 2.5 million people killed by the tsunami. Probably there was a mistake in the translation. I have seen figures that in the 2004 tsunami up to 275,000 people were killed.

That error may derive from the Indian convention of writing 250,000 as 2,50,000 - which could easily be confused for 2.5 million.

new topics

join