It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming Debate Turns Ugly

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I will use this as a metaphor... I personally have been recently diagnosed with COPD which I am not exactly thrilled with but I have to live with it, its what I get for smoking like a fish for years (8 years as a non smoker now)...

What I did to my lungs... we do to the earth... we have so transformed the chemical structure of the atmosphere that it doesn't work like it supposed to. Now if we don't do anything about it, it would be like me continuing to smoke 1 1/2 packs a day and a bag or two of pot a week after my diagnoses... it would be suicide. Unfortunately it isn't so simple with the earth but the end results are the same.

The forces, political and corporate who benefit from the muddying of the waters on this issue are in the long run the short sighted and ignorant ones... but they are banking on the debate will continue so that they don't have to do anything "unpleasant" that would require them to either make hard policy decisions or anything that will cut into their profit margins... in short criminally negligent behavior, especially considering their obstructionism effects all of us.

I still say even if global warming were proven to be wrong, it would still be prudent to change how we consume.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
I will use this as a metaphor... I personally have been recently diagnosed with COPD which I am not exactly thrilled with but I have to live with it, its what I get for smoking like a fish for years (8 years as a non smoker now)...

What I did to my lungs... we do to the earth...

I appreciate the metaphor although I dont understand COPD is I have a better understanding of the way people think concerning the environment and I now consider the possibility that maybe the earth cant rid itself completely of the pollution that the industrial complexes have spewed into the air and water. I have worked in an industrial complex for 20 years now and have seen the pollution first hand every morning when I get off work my vehicle is covered in dust from the surrounding industrial plants. I have disscussed the issue of this pollution with many of my co-workers and they feel that the earth cleans itself from the waste of industry and until now I had taken that same view (ignorantly I might add) but having developed some health issues of my own (possibly from working around hazardous chemicals) and after reading your post, it has forced me to reconsider my view of the (alarmist) position. I'm no fan of the kyoto accords but the weight of some of the posts made here for the environmental side of the coin cannot be ignored .........thanks for the input.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   
The Prudent Course

I still say even if global warming were proven to be wrong, it would still be prudent to change how we consume.

Speaking as someone who is skeptical of the "Global Warming agenda", I thought I should point out that I agree with this sentiment.

Being skeptical of Global Warming doesn't mean I'm opposed to sound environmental policy.

Indeed, I'm hopeful that if nothing else, all the alarmism surrounding Global Warming might at least drive a push for a reduction in the production and propagation of environmental pollutants and a longer view of technology and sustainable energy sources (i.e., a move away from burning oil).

We'll see how it turns out, though for the sake of my grandchildren (I have two), I'm hoping we'll make wise choices.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Nice. Thread.

O-K, I can present this better. First of all, how do we know for certain we are on top of the food chain?

And secondly, isn't extinction part of the natural cycle too?

My viewpoint examines the assumptions we have made about our world that could be error. Technological abilities do not guarantee us to be the smartest knives in the drawer, and our development may very well be part of natural evolution. So what the Earth is doing is a consequence of the cycle we have participated in, and the waste of our civilization will be food for the next species.

Just add it to death and taxes, extinction is there too, you can be sure of it.

[edit on 2/4/2007 by Matyas]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by the_sentinal

What I did to my lungs... we do to the earth...

I appreciate the metaphor although I dont understand COPD is I have a better understanding of the way people think concerning the environment and I now consider the possibility that maybe the earth cant rid itself completely of the pollution that the industrial complexes have spewed into the air and water. I have worked in an industrial complex for 20 years now and have seen the pollution first hand every morning when I get off work my vehicle is covered in dust from the surrounding industrial plants. I have disscussed the issue of this pollution with many of my co-workers and they feel that the earth cleans itself from the waste of industry and until now I had taken that same view (ignorantly I might add) but having developed some health issues of my own (possibly from working around hazardous chemicals) and after reading your post, it has forced me to reconsider my view of the (alarmist) position. I'm no fan of the kyoto accords but the weight of some of the posts made here for the environmental side of the coin cannot be ignored .........thanks for the input.

COPD is Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
(Chronic Bronchitis and Emphysema)

You can have one or the other seperately but to have them together in chronic form is COPD.... think those old men pulling around tanks of oxygen.

The reason I use it as a metaphor is that I cannot process what oxygen my lungs take in properly anymore, or for that matter exhale properly anymore so the CO2 builds up in my lungs further restricting my breathing. At worst if I had a bout and did not have it treated, I could aphexiate to death. It happens.

Just so we have dumped all this crap into the atmosphere that the mechanism that cleans it all out has broken down and it builds up and effects everything else including how the earth discharges excess heat.

Like all healthy systems, the earth or yours or my body we do cleanse ourselves of all the toxins that get dumped into it.... up to a point and that is the whole issue in a nutshell.... the advocates of global warming say that the earth's atmosphere can no longer cleanse itself properly so that it can function properly.

[edit on 4-2-2007 by grover]

[edit on 4-2-2007 by grover]

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join