It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Children...Different Era?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Do you ever look at your precious babies and wish that you could wisk them up and take them away to a different time? A time where the corruption and such hatred were not present as it is today?

I was watching my babies play today and thought "I wish I could take them away to a better time where things were peaceful and didn't have to worry about what this world would be like in 5 years, or less."

i am so scared for them. If it were just me, i would relish every event in this world, because i am an enthusiast for change, conspiracies, saying "i told ya so!' but when i look at the kids, I have to wonder what is in store for them!!! scares me to death!!!

JOHN TITOR!!! Bring that time machine here baby! Cuz the 50's look pretty damn good. My kids could play anywhere in the neighborhood as long as they are home by the time the street lights come on!!

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
AAhhh..come on ppl. I hate to even think about this subject much less talk about it, but i would love to hear others thoughts

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I grew up in the 50's.

It wasn't so nice, really.

During that decade, I aged from 4 to 14.

I had 1 attempt on my life because I was on the wrong street at the wrong time. All the kids on my street were of one gang, all the others were fought off. I was unlucky enough to get caught outside my 'safety zone', was dragged to a river wall and tossed over. It was a 20 foot drop onto rocks.

That wasn't the only serious thing that happened...but, I'd rather forget.

I fought incessantly because I had to. It was WWII residue, father depleted, rubble strewn Holland for me and definitely not a 'pretty place'. I moved to Canada in '54.

During those 6 years ('til the 60's) in Canada, I STILL fought incessantly, because I was considered a "DP' or Displaced Person... hugely reviled, picked on and laughed at. I had to battle everyone I knew because I was 'different'. What was worse, I had to go back to grade 1 from grade 3 because I didn't know English. It was hard and I survived because I refused to be beaten. I managed to skip grade 2 because I was a quick learner.

The '50's were a time when racism was everywhere and kindness was at a premium. Those were the days of ducktail haircuts, hoods, switchblade knives and bootleggers.

Sorry, but the '50's leave a sour taste in my mouth.

There's was a building boom, though... so at least a lot of men were making a decent living for their families.

I can't speak for the ladies of the era, but I don't think it was 'peaches and cream' for them either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Edit to add 'STILL"

[edit on 30/1/07 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
sorry masqua, i meant to refer to a society that was safer. I was only going by what my mother used to tell me regarding being home only by the time the streetlights came on, and i know now that i have to be out there with my children and have them in sight at all time!

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Please, no need for an apology... you have every right to an opinion in opposition to my own. I'm not too sure, but at 60, would I be close to your mothers age?

I don't think there ever was a time when you could feel safe to let your kids play without at least a bit of supervision.

I grew up in a small town ('54 to '68) considered safe by many. BUT, there was a pervert in the area who preyed on children, boys or girls, and who was never caught. My parents were always on my case to be careful, not talk to strangers, etc., so I was afraid of strange men at all times (until I was big enough to put up a fight).

I think it's safer now than ever before, because more people are aware of such predators and they are being actively hunted down by police.

I realize this thread is about government corruption, gang activities, corporate greed and, ultimately what seems like an impending 'alien invasion' (if you will allow me that one
), but, really, aren't the people more 'savvy' now than they were in the earlier decades?

There seems to be much more attention paid to crime, whether it's civilian, military or 'what have you'.
```````````````````

removed quote

[edit on 30/1/07 by masqua]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Ahem...

Not to appear old, (not too old) but the late 50's were wondrous to me, i had June Cleaver for a mother and Ward was my daddy. I could go out and roller skate alone or with my cousins all day and be safe at all times.
I remember that beach house we owned in Varadero Beach in Cuba (if there is a heaven and it becomes what you want it to be, i hope that is where i end up again) and the horse rides, the fun, Coney Island, bla bla bla.
I had a wonderful childhood and i moved to Miami in the 60's and it was the same- just wholesome and nice. Dick Clark, American Bandstand, dance hops...Buddy Holly....
How i miss those times! My boys never experienced any of this, and i always felt bad--always thinking, why did they have to miss my era and all the fun and safety? I'm sure there were a few kooks out there, but far and few.

My grandchildren, who knows. I look at my little baby grandaughter with pity
Such a beautiful little face, so loving and what kind of world will she have?
*I need a Kleenex* *sob*
I guess God knows when he put us here, our purpose, our experiences- some with hard times, some super rich.
Isnt life strange?

This is a good thread, because i have these thoughts every day.

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I don't know if times were safer in the past. I know that I roamed free from the time I was 4 years old. Frequently, my parents only knew where I said I was going, not necessarily where I ended up. My brother and I managed fine, and this includes a time when there were a lot of race riots going on in my hometown. I'm not necessarily convinced the world is statistically less safe for children. More children achieve adulthood now than at any point ever in the past. Children are also protected from everything under the sun - they have to wear kneepads and helmets, every item created must be safe or a lawsuit with happen, there are car seats and seat belts required, labels on items telling people not to do things that anyone with common sense wouldn't do. I didn't have any of that growing up.

My opinion has less to do with actual safety and more to do with how people perceive the world around them. 25-30 years ago, I didn't know if kids were being abducted in California, Iowa, New Mexico, or any other place where I didn't live. There were exceptions, but overall I didn't hear about it. What I think is that our society is shrinking to the point where we're inundated with information from everywhere around the world. If 5 kids were abducted in 1975, most people didn't hear about it; if 5 kids are abducted now, it's all over the news everywhere.

The US has a society where everyone is afraid of everything. I'm not saying there's nothing to fear, merely that we spend too much time being afraid. It keeps people from fully enjoying life.

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
OK, I did a search before starting a new thread. So, necrobump.

We had very few trick or treaters this year. They were at the mall, a church, or the rich neighborhoods. They were at the rich neighborhoods because that's where the loot is. They were at the mall and church for safety and control. Our crime rate has plummeted, yet I get the feeling parents are encouraged to coddle their kids. They send them to the mall or a church group for recreation. The mall gets money and the church gets more cult members. Our mall is about to be bulldozed, and the youth population of the church has dwindled over the years. I'm inclined to think there is a conspiracy afoot.

BTW, I was a very free-range kid in the 70's and 80's.

EDIT: I just told my 12 yr old daughter about the lower crime rate and that the MSM is selling fear. I told her how I could go up and down my street at 4 and around the block at 5. I asked her if she was scared to go out on her own. She replied, "A little bit." I told her that she's a victim of the news. She said, "I know. The news is a butthead."
edit on 2-11-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Society and the world is just as dangerous.

We've come very far since the 50s, or past times. Regressed in many ways as well.

Dont be over protective with your children, that can be the most dangerous.

Be greatful you and your children are alive and breathing in this moment in time. Be greatful youre experiencing an evolving world and a change in society.

A lot is coming, your kids will be apart of something incredible

top topics

join