It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US IS NOT A GREAT COUNTRY

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 05:26 PM
link   
i love the usa as much as the next guy
buy i think that there are some stuff that history book and every one else is trying to block out of the history of the us
first the monroe doctrine which said the no countries will take over the new forming countries in SA or CA or any part of the new world
but what is this!
taking PR illigally
signing a treaty with Spain
when PR already had a year of independence
wow great keeping of treaties!
also they destroyed all of their resources and built up factories
so now even if PR wants independence
which they don't
they can't because they cna't support themselves
also what about DR in 1965 when the US went and bombarded the citizens just becasue the citizens of DR were discussing THEIR political issues
also what about many of the CA and SA countires
one of the main reasons why they are poor is because the us went in stole their resources built factories like they were the kings
but you never hear about this
no you don't because they try to cover it
or with the MExican American war
this was their attitude
"ok you don't want to sell me YOUR land so i'm going to kill you *click click BOOM"
YOUR DEAD I GOT UR LAND.
or with the Native Americans
promising them land (with was the Na land in the first place) waith treaties and few months later oh sorry you have to move to another dry rotten land.
well i just had this on my mind so i wanted to share it
anyways i love the us don't get me wrong this is the land of opportunities but there's somethings that people have to be aware of

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Bull.

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 05:46 PM
link   
no actually it's not bull it did happen all of this actually did happen look it up if you want
i'm just saying what people block out from american history

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Hey JM, if you want to hear about something else rotten that Blugrl *didn't* mention about the Native Americans:

The US government sent them blankets infested with Small Pox...Intentionally. That was the first recorded case of the US using biological warfare.

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 06:03 PM
link   
what else is new... heh
it's not a matter of the information being blocked out...
but the growing carelessness and arrogance of the people.
they just feel it's not their problem.

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Am I the only one that gave up reading the pigeon English of the original post?

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 07:36 PM
link   
echelon yes people do blick this out
ignorant people that don't accept that there are flaws with their country, flaws with their goverment, flaws with their history
and they seriously don't wanna hear about so they blick it out
just proving that they are beign more and more ignorant every day

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Bluegrl I know there are problems with the people that RUN the country, but your claims of PR and DR assuming it is Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic are less than accurate.

Any claims PR had of independance were just that, claims, as far as the world and the US were concerned PR as was Cuba were still just territories of Spain. When that treaty was signed (treaty of Paris right?) we annexed the territories of spain (PR and Phillipeans).

And we gave Cuba its independance and recognized it.

As for DR if I remember correctly, it was at the time dominated by a dictator, and we sent in the Airborne to oust him? I'm not much one to care about DR, they are as diseased as Africa and the less we care about them the better.

I also HATE how people so construe the facts with the Indians. Sure a lot of things the US did to the Indians were bad, but same goes for what the Indians did to the US. The United States like any other nation had to expand to grow, at the time there was no way to expand but through force, the indians fought, it was probably the worlds first entirely guerrila war, and the Indians lost. You don't see people complaining and whinning about what the Viet Cong did to US in that war.

This self pity needs to stop, anyone who hasn't seen the USSR for what it was, or who hasn't talked to someone who WAS a member of the Nazi Party during WW2 or whose Great Grandma did not tell her experiences during the Civil War to your Grandma, who then passed the information to you, Please raise your hand.

All you with your hands raised need to do some research on what this nation REALLY is, Freedom, in the hardest since, and all this Self-Pity and conspiracy theorists is making us lose reality. Our school systems drive people away from the voting booths in my opinion. I say instead of whinning about the land we CONQUERED, which is what we did and there should be no shame in it. We should rather make sure our Freedom stays safe, rather then let it be sucked out from under us by greedy people, whom rely on our ignorance.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 17 2002 @ 10:02 PM
link   
ur the ignaorant in this whole conversation
when the US had it's civil war did u see anyone interfere
no because it was their own battle
also the DR yes it does stand for the dominican republic at the time WERE having a revolution
their own revolution they wanted their good president Bosch back who in my opinion was the best president that they ever had
four days after this US marines and soldiers came to Dr to protect "US interest" what Us interest would they have in the DR in the first place
then they massacred the country
and in june when they were suppose to leave 12500 soldiers remained
y? to take pleasure in killing innocent and defenseless people

second of all in PR yes they did take it illigally
Spain had granted their freedom already
they had been free for one year already!
then the US and Spain singned the treaty of Paris give PR to the US
how can u give something away that is not yours anymore! YOU GO EXPLAIN THAT TO ME

also how are you going to tell me that the natives were wrong.
how are you going to tell me that when i lived on this land and i have this land the us goes and takes it away from them!
also the US signed many treaties with them saying we won't bother you again they go and movethem again fromn the land they have been promised to keep.
NO WHAT I AM TYPING IS NOT PITY FOR OTHER COUNTRIES OR RACES WHAT I AM SAYING IS REALITY
YOU GO AND TELL ME THAT THIS IS RIGHT
WELL NO IT'S NOT MAYBE IN YOUR MIND IT IS BUT IN MY IS NOT

if that's how you really fell about this then hey i respect your opinion but i don't agree with it
just know that i respect your opinion
but i'll still say my reasons to back up my statements

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 12:08 AM
link   
LoL you should research a little more on the Civil War. Chancellor Hindenburg was once quoted as stating the main reason (not the only) that the European powers did not enter the war on the side of the south was the RUSSIANS! They had just as much interest in KEEPING us a country, as the Europeans had interest in breaking us apart.

Two Russian fleets parked themselves in the shipping lanes off the coast of San Fransico and off the coast of Florida. Any European involvement and those shipping lanes would be shut down by the Russians.

Now other reasons and better known are the fact that the south proved incapable of winning the war AT ALL. Europe did not want to involve itself in a bloody war against a MAJOR trading partner, unless they knew they'd be making MORE money by our division. Gettysburg showed clearly that the stronger military and economy lay in the Union's hands, further involvement would have cost Europe a great deal of money.

Now why do we involve ourselves in other people's civil wars? Because this world is TOO small to have imperialist nations running around everywhere. The day of conquering an empire ended with Nazi Germany. America along with Nato and the UN are all actively involved in maintaining stability, though they differ on methods and ideas on how to do so. And that goes for every backwards island in the Carribean too.

You contradict yourself with PR, if Spain gave PR its "freedom" then it would not have handed over PR to us, besides, they are better off with us then without us, and there is no point in making ANOTHER nation, so might as well leave things as they are.

As for Natives being wrong, I don't believe I meant that...that whole war was not about right or wrong, simply put it was about territory. The natives weren't doing anything with their land, we wanted it, we took it. Fair and square. Any acts of brutality on our part was somewhat matched by acts of brutality on their part, but also, you can't rub off on a nation, what a few men do of their own accord. Or else, we should all kill the Germans, for their crimes against the Jews?

Hmm and I've never bothered to look this up but it would be interesting to research...who signed those treaties for the indians? Wasn't it governors of states and territories? I mean, isn't the senate the only legislative body capable of signing treaties with foriegn powers? If so, then I do believe that although we signed treaties with the Indians they were not legal, unless of course it was the senate approving them, but I don't think they did? I'm not sure.

And in actuallity this isn't my opinion, I really don't care. As long as people don't use these minor details to point out that we have been unfair, I generally am for righting our wrongs. But just as with Affirmative action, as soon as someone uses this to swing it to one side, I take the position on the other side. As with most things I'm indifferent about.

The fact though is you claim the US is not a great country through these claims.

But let's go to the OTHER side of things, no need to bicker about what we have done to certain groups. Let's see why US is a GREAT Country.

Reason 1: We don't have to follow what the "party" says.
Reason 2: We can practice our own religions, any way we want.
Reason 3: We have Due process and various other legal methods that save us from governmental tyranny.
Reason 4: We have the ability to bare arms, there may be a lot of Anti-amendment 2 people out there, but everyone of them don't look at the facts of what happens to a nation without arms....it turns into a DICTATORSHIP.
Reason 5: We aren't communist, sorry echelon, but I've seen what governmental Communism does...if you want to live in a city-state society be my guest
but other-wise, communism is the anti-freedom of the world.
Reason 6: We ARE Free, it may not feel like it at times. But Americans are the ONLY people ON EARTH EVER!!!! TO have fought themselves to ensure that there was just an OUNCE of more Freedom, in a huge POOL of Freedom. America is the only nation that can claim that, other nations have only fought themselves to GAIN Freedom but never to Improve it!

Reason whatever: We can vote, that's a biggy, most take it for granted but damn, it's really a rare thing. I'm not sure how many people here have seen what it is like to NOT be able to vote. To HAVE leaders "chosen" for you. I myself have not really seen that other side, but what I've seen of it, it is horrible. Enough to make everyone vote.

Many Imigrants know this, they get here, they stay, vote and are politically active. And we really don't give credit to that either. But you should find a foriegner from say Russia or Cuba or Africa, and ask them how it is being there.

And I've ranted enough....point is, we have WAY more reasons to be GOOD, than to be BAD, if we'd stop whimpering over the bad, we could truly do things that the world would never forget. Like we have before.

Sincerely,
no signature

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 11:27 AM
link   

we have WAY more reasons to be GOOD, than to be BAD, if we'd stop whimpering over the bad, we could truly do things that the world would never forget. Like we have before

Hmph. Like what? Be the first to use nuclear weapons in war? Oppress countries with opposing political views (eg. Cuba)? Interfere in other countries affairs all over the world? Start wars for oil greed? Homogenize the entire world into a hotdog eating, nascar watching pseudo culture???

Granted, the US HAS done a few good things, so don't reply to this with a list of "all the good things" the US has done.

But I don't know if we need to do anymore things "the world would never forget". I think we've done quite a bit of that.

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 03:26 PM
link   
"You contradict yourself with PR, if Spain gave PR its "freedom" then it would not have handed over PR to us, besides, they are better off with us then without us" posted by mason

mason that's the whole point we took PR illigally! They were already free and we still took them

also about the indians how are you going to say that we took it from them fair and square
what is so fair about taking away the land you live in and that you have owned way befor CC came to the new world
in the late 1800's when the idians didn't want to sign a new treaty to give up their land i believe it was John Chivington who lead their army (im not sure) even after the indians raised a white flag to surrender the US army killed 150 women and children and men. Also we forced many of them to give up their culture
cut off their brades (which they considered an honor) took children away from their homes and put them in schools were they were thought to forget their heritage. if you think this is fair then i don't know what's unfair.

also in the civil war no country actually cam in and killed anyone from the union or the confederate side
the confederates wanted britain to come in but they never did

also as i said in my post before
i love the US
you get so much freedom and rights
also this is the land of opportunities
but was it really worth putting down all these countries in povery to get were we are right now?

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Bluegrl

If the U.S was not so great then why so many immigrants came here for job opportunities, religious freedom, and a new life.

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 03:47 PM
link   
have you even read my posts
god i hate repeating myself like i said on the last post
"also as i said in my post before
i love the US
you get so much freedom and rights
also this is the land of opportunities"
please read the posts before you reply

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I knew all that happend. I said bull to the fact that u said the U.S.A. is not a great country. Next you'll say we should have never bombed Japan.

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Jm, good point. Think about this tidbit.

No nuke, we inveds, lose a few million lives. We nuke, we save a few million lives. Japan was training their women how to use staffs and daggers. Think if we had to invade?

Anyways, America rocks1 Where else can you have a hot dog eating contest, then a bikini contest?

posted on Nov, 18 2002 @ 11:18 PM
link   
um...... Afgahnistan???

posted on Nov, 19 2002 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Well, psypher I think James meant beutiful woman.

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Don't underestimate middle eastern women...

posted on Nov, 20 2002 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Fo' real man. I've seen some pretty fine middle eastern chicks here in the states (eg. Lebanese & Israeli babez) mmmmm

......in fact, Shakira is half lebanese!! (Point proven)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join