It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU Wants to Keep Limits on How Passenger Data Can Be Used by The U.S.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

The European Commission wants to retain existing limits on how the United States uses data on incoming air passengers despite U.S. calls for more flexibility, a spokesman said on Monday.

Under a temporary deal reached in October as part of U.S. efforts to combat terrorism, European airlines must pass on up to 34 items of data, including passengers' addresses and credit card details, to be allowed to land at U.S. airports.

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said last week Washington would not look for more data in forthcoming negotiations on a permanent accord but would push for more flexibility in how it could use the information.

The EU and the United States are under pressure to negotiate the agreement, designed to help fight terrorism, because the temporary deal expires in July.

The United States has also been pushing for the right to hold data on passengers for longer.

SOURCE:
news.Yahoo.com

I'm glad to see that the EU is sticking up for it's citizens rights, and
is not going along with the degredation of freedom based on find-
ing 'terrorists'.

I will add though, the EU is hardly the best place in the world when
it comes to privacy rights.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei

But its not the worst, I mean to be fair...if ANY government thought you were a threat they would be able to find, track and spy on you without your knowledge very easily.

We can get number plates off cars from satalites, we can keep undetectable UAV's airborne for a day.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

Originally posted by iori_komei

But its not the worst, I mean to be fair...

I know, I just added that so no one would jump on me for
making the EU sound like it's perfect in every way.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
'scuse the one-liner, but does the passenger data relate to ANY flight, or JUST to the US?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by citizen smith
'scuse the one-liner, but does the passenger data relate to ANY flight, or JUST to the US?

Just US flights, free travel within the EU is allowed though the restrictions per country do vary.

top topics

join