It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Releasing the wrongfully convicted

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Now I know that some of you have allready heard the news about the man being freed by DNA evidence from a non-profit orginization.
(if not visit www.ga-innocenceproject.org... ). My question to all members is, What if any amount of money or goods should the US government provide to those who have been proven to have been incarserated wrongly. one million, two million? Tell me your opinion.

Ford Farmer

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I am not sure, but I wasn't aware that the government was even liable for these kinds of actions. Are they? It would seem that they should be if you are wrongly imprisoned, but then again, they can always blame it on the jury for accusing you.

I would be doing an injustice to the wrongfully incarcerated to even quote what I think their time is worth. Time is worth more than money.

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Some states allow for compensation based on number of years an innocent person was jailed.

In California it's $36,500 ... not much but I guess a token amount is better than no amount. I can't imagine that any amount of money would make up for many years spent locked up in a prison for a crime you didn't commit.

Exoneration Compensation

California also has a "Victim Compensation" program which pays for a limited amount of expenses including medical and "wage loss" for up to 5 years. I would certainly be making a stink to have those funds available to me as a "victim" by being wrongfully accused.

Calif Vict Compensation

new topics

join