It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your common cold remedy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I just got one. Scratchy throat & coughing.

I'm trying vitamin c to get rid of it.

Any other recommendations?

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Jewish chicken soup... It's chicken soup, but with cabbage. (I hate cabbage, but love this soup). There are probably some good recipes online. It supposedly has the healing properties of Penicillin (which I'm allergic to), and it always seems to do the trick.

Any hot liquids will do wonders though, and for me, popsicles also tend to make my throat feel tons better.....

EDIT: I'm not Jewish...so I don't know how Kosher it is, etc. It's what my mom (also not Jewish) called it. I've sworn by it since....because it works.

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Zycam ( spelling )

it comes in nose spray, swabs and now tablets...

it works.. however you're supposed to use it when you first feel the cold coming on.

I got a scratchy throat one day, used 2 swabs, never did get the cold ! scratchy throat gone by that evening.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My common cold remedy is BBOOOOZZE

RED WINE TYO BE PRECISE!

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Spicy, spicy foods! followed by a shot a whiskey and a nice nap in a warm cozy bed. That always helped me when i got a bad cold.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BeingWatchedByThem
Spicy, spicy foods! followed by a shot a whiskey and a nice nap in a warm cozy bed. That always helped me when i got a bad cold.

Well for me spicy foods dont help they make things worase:shk:

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I had a friend that took a shot of vodka or two as soon as he felt funny. he claimed that the alcohol killed the viruses.

I also heard that gurgling vinegar works really well.

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 11:54 AM
link   
gurgling yeah but i dunno bout vinegar,if taht was me then i'd want fish and chips wif my vinegar!

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
try putting a toad on your head, sea weed around your neck, and mustard on your chest .

posted on Dec, 24 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   
i just try to ride it out, but i find vicks vapor rub helps along with always drinking water

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Why didn't I see these responses before I took off on my holiday?

I knew I forgot something to try & that is cabbage. I remember someone told me there was something in it that provided a miracle cure of sorts.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
for mucus removal, physiologically, www.belowtopsecret.com...

arc

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
ginger and lemon tea, vitamin C and echinacea. I haven't had a cold for a year - the tea usually stops anything developing past the initial woozy head stage.

If its got past that - hot bath with plenty of olbas oil clears the head and eases the aches and pains

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
A few jalapenos tend to clear my sinuses. The rest of the time, I just drink a LOT of hot green tea.

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
good old fashioned hot toddy

hot whiskey and honey

[Edited on 5-1-2004 by witsend]

posted on Jan, 5 2004 @ 06:25 PM
link   
vitamin C is good, even if you're not sick, makes you immune system stronger.

For cold relief, I choose NyQuil Syrup (lol I sound like a sales man or something...). Tastes like #, but damn does it work.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Just made some Jewish Chicken Soup last night, to help my fiance' fight an oncoming cold... good stuff...and I really meant it about the cabbage...(I hate, hate, hate cabbage, but it completely absorbs the flavors of the other ingredients, and is like a different kind of noodle when you're done, that's all). Good stuff, and we both took some for lunch today...

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Hey Gazrok,

how about posting a recipe of this Jewish Chicken soup for us.

posted on Jan, 6 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Sure, it isn't difficult...

I usually get the following:

Large can of Chicken Broth
Celery
Carrots
Egg Noodles
Green Onions
Small head of Cabbage
Bell Pepper (green, orange, yellow or red (your pick)...this gives a little kick to the sinuses)
Cut up pieces of Chicken
Assorted Spices to taste

I start the chicken broth and let it come to a boil in a large soup pot. While that's cooking, I chop up the chicken and the veggies to smaller than bite-size pieces. I sautee the chicken pieces in a small pan, and season (usually with some seasoning salt and pepper).

When the broth starts to boil, I add the cabbage and the veggies, as well as the chicken, as well as a little dash of soy sauce, and some salt and pepper. I turn down the burner to about medium, and let it do a gentle boil, for about 15-20 minutes or so. Then, I add the egg noodles, and do a gentle boil for another 10 minutes. Stir every once in a while through this whole process. Then, remove from the heat (or just put it on simmer), and you're ready to go! I usually eat crackers with it too, to help settle the tummy.

Trust me, the cabbage totally absorbs all of the flavor from the chicken, broth and veggies while it's boiling...

Sometimes, we use elbow macaroni noodles instead, and noodle type isn't really essential to the recipe...

top topics

join