It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Death of the Dictator

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Miami city officials have discussed their plans for celebration in the event of death of the Cuban dictator, Fidel Castro. Such plans include using the Orange Bowl as a party venue, where even themed clothing will be sold. These discussions come to be announced after it's been learned that the Cuban leader has fallen seriously ill in recent weeks.

www.msnbc.msn.com
"MIAMI - With Fidel Castro seriously ill, the city of Miami is making plans to throw a party at a local football stadium when the Cuban president dies, complete with themed T-shirts."

""(Castro) represents everything bad that has happened to the people of Cuba for 48 years," City Commissioner Tomas Regalado, a Cuban American who came up with the idea, told The Miami Herald newspaper. "There is something to celebrate, regardless of what happens next ... We get rid of the guy."

"Ramon Saul Sanchez, leader of the Miami-based Democracy Movement organization, worries about how the party would be perceived by those outside the Cuban exile community. Even when Castro dies, his communist government will still be in place, he said."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find this really disgusting. I don't care how bad of a person he is, to celebrate someone's death like this is just shameless. It seems like they don't care so much about helping Cuba anymore as they do waiting for Fidel to die.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
It's probably hard to understand, unless you are Cuban.
Besides. It will be a good thing, when Castro is out of HIS misery.
He lived a long life. I sure don't want him to suffer any more

He's very ill. First in the head, now..in body.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
As I said in the other thread, this is going to be a brilliant party -- I wish I could attend!

Miami is going to be one big party for a very long time celebrating this good riddance to bad rubbish.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
If and when Castro dies, should it be celebrated? I don't think thats appropriate to be a state,federal or city sponsored event. When something bad happens to America or Americans , people bitch about it when people in other countries celebrate. If you want to set an example, then one should be above those that you complain about. If not, then expect the same of others.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I think it would be profoundly tacky... but what do you expect from people who made a cult of Elian Gonzales?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:01 PM
link   
you wanna throw your party, fine. But if bush or any other high politician were to be assassinated or suddenly fall ill and die I dont want to hear one word from anyone when the world throws parties. You want to throw parties when a foreign leader dies, don't feel outraged when the same happens to us.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Cuba is a country that has lost many, many citizens due to the policies of it's communist government. If those people were given a choice i'm sure a good part of them would move back to Cuba, If it were a free country.

The demise of Castro is one step in that direction. If I was in the situation where the death of a dictator meant I might someday be able to go home, i'd party too.

I'm not Cuban and I'm not going to judge them. If they want a party than let them have it.

I don't approve of celebrating someones death, but I can almost understand why the Cuban community would celebrate his.

Just my thoughts on it,

[edit on 29-1-2007 by mrwupy]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   
The thought of celebrating any death is a no no in my books. The loss of any life is a tragedy. If the death of any individual meant a brighter future for a population of individuals, then so be it. You can look upon it as a positive while keeping your "joy" to yourself. A public celebration of one mans death is completely unnecessary and downright disrespectful.

We can say that he was a terrible man, did this, did that, none of it matters. All of it only indicates that we should try that much harder to respect his passing to show why we, western civilization, are as great as we are.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Well, if I lived there, I personallly would'nt be attending the party,
simply because I'm not a people person.

In my opinion, the death of Fidel Castro will be a good thing.

And as for people being pissy here if Bush died and the world
celebrated, well I think that most people here would be celebra-
ting as well.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:26 PM
link   
And that's it right there.

If Bush died tomorrow, and the international community celebrated, Would Americans be ticked off? I would think so. They have no right to celebrate the death of any man, no matter what their opinion. If Cubans wish to celebrate, so be it. But I wish they would not make such a public spectacle of it.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Celebrate , and import communism to America!

Weeeeeeeeeeee///phbiiiiiiiiitttttttttt

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
And that's it right there.

If Bush died tomorrow, and the international community celebrated, Would Americans be ticked off? I would think so. They have no right to celebrate the death of any man, no matter what their opinion. If Cubans wish to celebrate, so be it. But I wish they would not make such a public spectacle of it.

Ok, so you acknowledge that it is cubans who are celebrating castro's death and not americans? so why are blaming americans as if we are all dancing in the street or something? Same old anti-american crap, doesnt matter what it is.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Ok, so you acknowledge that it is cubans who are celebrating castro's death and not americans? so why are blaming americans as if we are all dancing in the street or something? Same old anti-american crap, doesnt matter what it is.

Cubans, Cuban-Americans , it doesn't matter if City Funds are paying for the festival, then its viewed as Americans celebrating. If its paid for by a Cuban organization, then hey more power to them. I don't think any governmental office should sponsor or condone it.

Keep in mind many European Countries do not view Cuba as we do. They do not block trade or tourists from visiting Cuba. Its still a tourist destination for many countries who get along just fine with the Cuban government.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:17 PM
link   
My wife celebrated the demise of Pol Pot. Does that make her bad? Why is it so bad to celebrate the death of a tyrant? Get past the communist pardise propaganda and how many people has castro tortured and killed during his reign? Did you light a candle and shed a tear when Nicolau Chauchescu was hanged? Do you condem the people of Romania who took to the streets dancing? Unless you are a victem of such repression I have a hard time believing you would truly understand.

[edit on 1/29/07 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It really wouldnt matter to me if he lives or dies.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
My wife celebrated the demise of Pol Pot. Does that make her bad? Why is it so bad to celebrate the death of a tyrant? Get past the communist pardise propaganda and how many people has castro tortured and killed during his reign? Did you light a candle and shed a tear when Nicolau Chauchescu was hanged? Do you condem the people of Romania who took to the streets dancing? Unless you are a victem of such repression I have a hard time believing you would truly understand.

Did your local City government pay for your wifes celebration or have T-shirts made up? Did those Romanians also have City or state funding for a celebration? That would be the difference. The personal opinion of an american is one thing, to involve the government is another.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Celebrating the death of someone who's caused so much suffering is a natural reaction, especially if you've been personally effected like I would imagine so many people in Miami have been. While I understand why someone might choose to do so, I hope people will rise above their first instinct and choose to direct their energy and focus on hope for a better future rather than dwelling on the past- which is exactly what would be happening by celebrating Castro's death. You may be thinking, how can celebrating the end of a life be dwelling on the past?” Look at it this way, it's like the difference between an anti-war rally and a peace rally. One is focusing on what you don't want any more of and the other is focusing on what you actually want. At the end of the day, which one is more likely to get you what you want? Anti war, anti Castro, these are negatives and unbecoming of anyone who truly wishes a new beginning.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
I live 4 hours away in Tampa guys. If it happens soon, ill take a couple days off work and head on over there to post video and images. Not going there to celebrate, purely a journalistic venture.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   
First of all lets not criticise cuz if binladin was tro die tomorrow we'd all be dancing out in the streets too, but what you gotta wonder is once castro dies how long before the country of cuba goes into chaos and a new revolution is started or if all the cubans will go back to cuba now and leave florida and all its retirerees desolate

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Hey - why not go the whole hog and celebrate the fire bombings of Tokyo, the nuclear bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and the almost total destruction of Cologne, Hamburg and Berlin in Germany! Yay!

Not.

Sick idea, showing the worst excesses of the American blindspot. Castro and Cuba didn't yield, and neither did the North Koreans, so they get condemned to permanent hatred by certain sections of American society, and yet the two countries who caused half a million US deaths in WW2 are just fine and dandy.

If the state is paying for - or donating facilites to - this event then its a national scandal if it goes ahead.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join