It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Al-Jazeera - Turkey Will Invade Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Al Jazeera

No. I don't believe anything that comes out of Al Jazeera. At least, I don't believe it without it being reported by a more credible source elsewhere. However, for those who are interested, I have posted a link to an article from Al Jazeera claiming that they have information of invasion plans of Turkey into Northern Iraq.

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if it was to happen someday. The country boundries over there are artificially drawn without thought to the ethnic makeup of the people within them.

Anyways - read on -
Al Jazeera

Just got this in with more info on the story....
Debka.com

[edit on 1/29/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Turkey has for a long time been opposed to a Kurdish nation-state on it's borders, and has previously stated that they are against any formation of Kurdish nationhood, as this would lead to civil strife within, from Turkish-Kurdish minority groups...much in the same vein as Basque separatists ETA tried to force the hand of the Spanish govenment to cede territory for the formation of a separate and distinct nation by use of terrorism and political coersion (but mainly terrorism)

The way that Iraq is headed with the civil strife between Shia, Sunni, and Kurd will eventually lead to the same scenario that we saw in the mid-90's in former Yugoslavia between Bosnian, Serbian, and Croatian peoples.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
If Turkey wants to die for it then bring it!!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Turkey has more to loose then to gain.. they desperatly want to get into the EU, and attacking a nation will put it out forever. If they did take over at least Northern Iraq it would be almost all Kurdish.. which they hate with a passion.. it would rouse the Kurds to lead .. another.. civil war or at least a geurilla war against Turkish interest. Not to mention retaliation from the US if Turkey was to just dive into Iraq and try and take it over..

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
al jeezera is quite the reputable source
it's just demonized for the fact that it actually reports from an objective position
like that fact that they air bin laden's tapes
then they have people actively discussing it from both ends
and not the type of "discussion" that occurs in american cable news

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is not new, since the beginning when the Kurdish started to take lands in the north to form their littler nation against US permission, Turkey said that they will not allow a Kurdish nation in its borders.

So is not question of about who should die or live but rather tribal rivalry between these people.

No even the Kurdish will be untouched by all the violence in the area.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I think there are enough countries invading Iraq already.

Too many wars over there.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Personally I don't see Turkey invading anyone, unless they have the
concensus from the EU and America to.

As it is Turkey deftly wants to be an EU member state, and if they
invaded Iraq, it would diminish there chances incredibly.

Plus, I don't think Turkey really cares to much, if it starts spilling
into there nation, they'll solve it as a civil unrest problem within
Turkey.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Maybe, but not yet. Dang, each family has like 10 children in Turkey. Anyway, Turkey in the EU? Wow, I would laugh so hard. First of all, shouldn't the country that's joining the European Union actually BE IN EUROPE? I don't think they would need 'permission' from the US, or any other country.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Qwazzy
Maybe, but not yet. Dang, each family has like 10 children in Turkey. Anyway, Turkey in the EU? Wow, I would laugh so hard. First of all, shouldn't the country that's joining the European Union actually BE IN EUROPE? I don't think they would need 'permission' from the US, or any other country.

Well it depends on what you consider Europe, some people consider
Turkey to be part of the greater European region, and some don't.

It would mean that the EU would have more Muslims than any other
religion.

Personally, as long as Turkey is willing to continue to align itself with
EU initiatives, I would'nt have much of a problem with them joining it.

However, it would concern me somewhat though, since if the EU ever
started doing something like the US does with states, Turkey would
hold many votes.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:13 PM
link   
I consider a little part of Turkey to be in Europe. However, I don't think this is enough of a qualification to even apply to join the EU. WHat also strikes me as weird is the GDP per capita of Turkey...It is ranked 75th in the world, with a GDP of 7,950. My country(Bulgaria) which I consider poor-er(lol), is 66th. But the overall GDP is 17th in the world. I'm really interested in where this money comes from. Sorry for not staying on topic.
Also, what I would like to see happen with the EU is not accept any countries that don't have more than %50 of their land in Europe. It just doesn't make sense. It shouldn't get too big either.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Well, if you get technical about it, there really is'nt a Eutope, as much
as there is the Euro portion of the EurAsian continent.

So, one could argue that all of asia could be considered part of Europe.
But no one is, and I doubt anyone will argue China is a Euopean
country.

Europe really does depend, at one time Europe was all the land con-
quered by Alexander the great plus the traditional thoughts of what
Europe is.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:27 AM
link   
True, it's not seperated by water, but on maps it's considered another continent.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Qwazzy]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
do you not think that this maybe an attempt to secure the Turkish/Iran border? Its the only border that is not controlled by the US or its allies. I wouldnt be surprised if this was the pawn moves in the start to the Iran war, its been obvious for a while that Kurds could be an easy target for the US and its War On Terror, now if the kurds flee or take refuge in northern Iran the US/UK have the perfect way and excuse to enter in to Iran on the pretext that they are aiding and holding terrorists (they tried that with Syria & Lebanon last summer but it was a lame attempt). I have been waiting for Turkey's part in all this for quite a while, now it seems the move is about to be made.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface
do you not think that this maybe an attempt to secure the Turkish/Iran border? Its the only border that is not controlled by the US or its allies. I wouldnt be surprised if this was the pawn moves in the start to the Iran war, its been obvious for a while that Kurds could be an easy target for the US and its War On Terror, now if the kurds flee or take refuge in northern Iran the US/UK have the perfect way and excuse to enter in to Iran on the pretext that they are aiding and holding terrorists (they tried that with Syria & Lebanon last summer but it was a lame attempt). I have been waiting for Turkey's part in all this for quite a while, now it seems the move is about to be made.

Wow, great comment! Hadn't thought about that. Turkey is like macaroni and cheese with the US and Europe.

top topics

join