It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says plans to expand role in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Islamic Republic’s ambassador to Baghdad tells New York Times Tehran prepared to offer Iraqi government forces training, equipment and advisers for ‘security fight’; senior Iraqi banking says Iran received license to open national bank in country

Iran’s ambassador to Baghdad told the New York Times on Sunday that Tehran plans to expand its economic and military ties with Iraq.

According to the Times, the plan carries the potential to bring Iran into further conflict with the United States, which has detained a number of Iranian operatives in recent weeks and says it has proof of Iranian complicity in attacks on American and Iraqi forces.

Ynet

Frankly, it's quite amusing to see Iran undermining US (police) power projection in Iraq. No matter what the US, the UN or Israel says, Iran just pushes forward with its uranium enrichment program, clandestine support to Iraqi insurgents and with a legitimate support offer to the Iraqi government.

No one can possibly stop Iran from legitimately support the Iraqi government, but it damages the US invincible reputation. After the Cold War no country has tried so blatantly to undermine US power. Eventually, we'll be exposed to a greater risk of terrorist attacks.

As a matter of fact, an Israeli based think tank drew a similar conclusion:

WASHINGTON, 18 January 2007 — The failures of the US and Israeli wars in Iraq and Lebanon have undermined the deterrent strength of the Washington-led alliance while exposing the entire region to increased insecurity, reports an Israeli-based think tank.

“The Lebanon war actualized Israel’s strategic problems and instability, damaged its deterring image, and exposed IDF weakness in decision-making in Israel,” added the survey, which was written by experts at Tel Aviv University’s Middle East Strategic Studies Institute.

The institute also stated that the failure in Iraq hurt the United States’ position and that Israel had nothing to gain from the American presence in Iraq.

Israel’s fighting in Lebanon was perceived by many, friends and foes united, as an Israeli failure, noted the survey writers. The war also exposed the issues of Israel’s vulnerability and the lack of an effective solution to the Qassam rockets.

Source

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 04:56 AM
link   
It just looks like a big slap in the face.
America cannot deny them if they promote that they are helping the security and prosperity of Iraq.
We are shouting to the skies we are there to HELP the iraqi's build a secure an democratic country..
So If their next door neighbour offers to assist them achieve the same, then for us to refuse them would look pretty down right dirty.
Iran, are a master at political ploys.

c'mon all you big strong men, uncle sam needs your help agian, got himself in a terrible jam way out yonder in errran, put down ya books and pick up a gun, we're gunna have a whole lotta fun...
and its 1-2-3-4

WHATTA WE FIGHTING FOR, Dont ask me I dont give a damn, next stop is eeerrran!....... and its 5-6-7-8 walking up the pearly gates... well aint no time to wonder why..

YIPPEE we're all gunna die........

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agit8dChop
c'mon all you big strong men, uncle sam needs your help agian, got himself in a terrible jam way out yonder in errran, put down ya books and pick up a gun, we're gunna have a whole lotta fun...
and its 1-2-3-4

WHATTA WE FIGHTING FOR, Dont ask me I dont give a damn, next stop is eeerrran!....... and its 5-6-7-8 walking up the pearly gates... well aint no time to wonder why..

YIPPEE we're all gunna die........

I don't think thats going to catch on with US drill instructors

Yeah well i think its great theres going to be a further war, the sooner this scenario(war with Iran) comes to fruition the better, we all know total war looks different than a low intensity counter insurgency. This is the problem, stop with the tip toeing around trying to win the hearts and minds of people who hate you, coalition battle groups should soon be rolling around the middle east destroying evrything on sight.

Don't get me wrong i'm not condoning it, more innocent people will die. But atleast we'll reduce our combat casualties.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by carslake

Yeah well i think its great theres going to be a further war, the sooner this scenario(war with Iran) comes to fruition the better, we all know total war looks different than a low intensity counter insurgency. This is the problem, stop with the tip toeing around trying to win the hearts and minds of people who hate you, coalition battle groups should soon be rolling around the middle east destroying evrything on sight.

Don't get me wrong i'm not condoning it, more innocent people will die. But atleast we'll reduce our combat casualties.

"Yeah well i think its great theres going to be a further war" With a comment like this I think you are actually condoning a war with Iran, I don't know you but I imagine the closest to a war zone you've been to was on your Xbox!

If you've seen what war does close up, it would make you puke

I'm a proffesional soldier and I can't stomach some of the things I've seen and I'm trained to be desensitised to it!

Iran has a moral, political and financial need to be involved in Iraq, the same as the US does with Canada, they are neighbours. Iran is a well developed middle eastern country and it's citizen's are actually quite westernised. If Iran can help Iraq get back on it's feet then Iran could have a strong, rich ally to whom they could make excellent trading partners. If Iran helps to bring the middle east together they will stabalise the entire region and eventually make radical Islam redundent.

America does not want this, a stable middle east would mean it would be more difficult to influence.

Iran should also be allowed to continue it's nuclear programm, If US government had shown more respect to Iran in the first place it would have been more likely to have let inspectors monitor their sites, plus Iran now feel a need to have an atomic deterrant becuase of the attitude the US shows towards it! Instead Iran are showing signs of a strong diplomatic relationship with the East and Russia, Why? because China and Russia see that Iran is a well developed, peacful nation (I can't recall Iran Invading are attacking any countries recently) Iran can help china and russia by supplying fossil fuels and in return would have hugely valuable trade markets.

America are worried about Iran because if Iran can get Iraq on side, Iraq too will favour the east and snub the US.

The US government needs to take a big bite of humble pie, yes they are a massive superpower but they can't keep pushing people around. It's a destructive policy.

I don't see Russia and China planning pre emptive strikes against anyone, but countries seem to listen to what they have to say. If you want to say "yeah but what about Taiwan" that example is like California wanting to break free from the US of A, It has all the things needed to be a single country. Would Washington simply let a revolt happen and accept California's claim to independance???

Anyway to the point, I am all for Iran expanding into Iraq I hope it does well. The western coalition certainly haven't!

[edit on 29/1/07 by Jimmy1880]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Oh you don't have to tell me jimmy i've seen enough to know better, but that sentiment doesn't stop war. Lets be realistic theres a good chance this is going to escalate and i'd rather it happened sooner than later.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy1880

"Yeah well i think its great theres going to be a further war" With a comment like this I think you are actually condoning a war with Iran, I don't know you but I imagine the closest to a war zone you've been to was on your Xbox!

If you've seen what war does close up, it would make you puke

I'm a proffesional soldier and I can't stomach some of the things I've seen and I'm trained to be desensitised to it!

Iran has a moral, political and financial need to be involved in Iraq, the same as the US does with Canada, they are neighbours. Iran is a well developed middle eastern country and it's citizen's are actually quite westernised. If Iran can help Iraq get back on it's feet then Iran could have a strong, rich ally to whom they could make excellent trading partners. If Iran helps to bring the middle east together they will stabalise the entire region and eventually make radical Islam redundent.

America does not want this, a stable middle east would mean it would be more difficult to influence.

Iran should also be allowed to continue it's nuclear programm, If US government had shown more respect to Iran in the first place it would have been more likely to have let inspectors monitor their sites, plus Iran now feel a need to have an atomic deterrant becuase of the attitude the US shows towards it! Instead Iran are showing signs of a strong diplomatic relationship with the East and Russia, Why? because China and Russia see that Iran is a well developed, peacful nation (I can't recall Iran Invading are ...................
...............China planning pre emptive strikes against anyone, but countries seem to listen to what they have to say. If you want to say "yeah but what about Taiwan" that example is like California wanting to break free from the US of A, It has all the things needed to be a single country. Would Washington simply let a revolt happen and accept California's claim to independance???

Anyway to the point, I am all for Iran expanding into Iraq I hope it does well. The western coalition certainly haven't!

Jimmy you are part of the problem, "i'm a profesiional soldier" your a feckin robot jimmy with all due respect. Your a soldier so go to Iraq and kill some people and stop being political or get out and stand with us.

Your like someone who complains about global warming and then drives their gas guzzling suv. Russia or China are bastards! the only thing lacking for them is the opportunity.

The thing Iran is intersted in is a shia superstate, and are struggling to bring it about without getting taken out by the US of A in the process. Do you know anything about how the Iranians conduct themselves in secret, theyve been kept in check by western intelligence for the last 20 years, oh yeah they've got peaceful intentions alright LOL. If the iraqi shia with Iranian backing take Iraq theres going to be war with surrounding sunni countries.

And no the US government doesn't have to eat humble pie, you know what artillery, planes and tanks do to ill equiped forces. The americans can fight their way from Iraq via Iran and enter Afghanistan and then turn around and do it all over again if they so wish.

I haven't voted in 16 years why because I have a good idea what is really going on. There is absolutely nothing i can do, in 2003 some of my friends said to me cmon lets go on a peace march, LOL HAAA haaa
i haven't stopped laughing since god bless em. My reply to them was f**k the peace march how about a pro-democracy march
running around putting out fires when they should just shoot the arsonist.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Jimmy you are part of the problem, "i'm a profesiional soldier" your a feckin robot jimmy with all due respect. Your a soldier so go to Iraq and kill some people and stop being political or get out and stand with us.

My Motives for joining the Army was to lead an active lifestyle and to protect and serve queen and country! Joining because you enjoyed killing people would show a strong psycotic tendancy, we don't let psyco's into our Army. The reason I was sent to Iraq the first time round was to remove the Saddam dictatorship, the other 2 times was to uphold the peace and to protect the Iraqi citizens.

Your like someone who complains about global warming and then drives their gas guzzling suv. Russia or China are bastards! the only thing lacking for them is the opportunity.

Russia and China are B******s. Yeah thanks for the Info, nice addition to the debate

The thing Iran is intersted in is a shia superstate, and are struggling to bring it about without getting taken out by the US of A in the process. Do you know anything about how the Iranians conduct themselves in secret, theyve been kept in check by western intelligence for the last 20 years, oh yeah they've got peaceful intentions alright LOL. If the iraqi shia with Iranian backing take Iraq theres going to be war with surrounding sunni countries.

Actually I do have insights on how the Iranians conduct themselves in secret, thanks for asking. If you compared the dark ops that Britain and the US carry out to that of Irans, you may retract that statement. The current middle eastern leaders have no intentions to go to war with their neighbours, Iran would love to have a powerful, self sustaining middle east, then they can stick two fingers up to the west.

And no the US government doesn't have to eat humble pie, you know what artillery, planes and tanks do to ill equiped forces. The americans can fight their way from Iraq via Iran and enter Afghanistan and then turn around and do it all over again if they so wish.

Hooah!!!

No seriously, do you really believe this, I mean faith in your country is one thing but beleiving what you've written is quite delusional.

I haven't voted in 16 years why because I have a good idea what is really going on. There is absolutely nothing i can do, in 2003 some of my friends said to me cmon lets go on a peace march, LOL HAAA haaa
i haven't stopped laughing since god bless em. My reply to them was f**k the peace march how about a pro-democracy march
running around putting out fires when they should just shoot the arsonist.

Nothing you can do, that's the spirit! Good job your ancestors didn't feel the same when the impoverished, underequiped US militia's drove out the most advanced and powerful miliitary of the time (British)

Image that, The United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and North America!
Now that has a nice ring to it

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jimmy1880
My Motives for joining the Army was to lead an active lifestyle and to protect and serve queen and country! Joining because you enjoyed killing people would show a strong psycotic tendancy, we don't let psyco's into our Army. The reason I was sent to Iraq the first time round was to remove the Saddam dictatorship, the other 2 times was to uphold the peace and to protect the Iraqi citizens.

No jimmy you are part of the problem, you signed up for an illegal, undemocratic war and your their tool. "Your like someone who complains about global warming and then drives their gas guzzling suv." That comment still stands if your not for the war. Your motives are not being questioned here. Think of the world and you in it, who do you stand with.

Russia and China are B******s. Yeah thanks for the Info, nice addition to the debate

I haven't got the time to explain something as obvious as why. But quickly an example, Russia started the second world war, the comintern, the gulags. China the cultural revolution, invasion of vietnam, invasion of tibet, to name but a few insults to humanity. Its outside the scope of this debate to bang on about this.

Actually I do have insights on how the Iranians conduct themselves in secret, thanks for asking. If you compared the dark ops that Britain and the US carry out to that of Irans, you may retract that statement. The current middle eastern leaders have no intentions to go to war with their neighbours, Iran would love to have a powerful, self sustaining middle east, then they can stick two fingers up to the west.

So what would you have us do they are the enemy, and thats their definition. And btw they are already sticking two fingers up at the west, its simple as this, we run the show they don't like it now watch them get slapped for it.

Hooah!!!
No seriously, do you really believe this, I mean faith in your country is one thing but beleiving what you've written is quite delusional.

No not delusional a realistic possibility, i've studied on and off the Russo-German War of 1941-45 you would be surprised at what is possible in 'total war'. Oh and btw jimmy i'm English, i'm not an apologist but for some its still a burden.

Nothing you can do, that's the spirit! Good job your ancestors didn't feel the same when the impoverished, underequiped US militia's drove out the most advanced and powerful miliitary of the time (British)

Image that, The United Kingdom of England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and North America!
Now that has a nice ring to it

The only thing i can do is plant seeds of doubt in people minds. I'm not going to patronise you jimmy, so don't patronise me, and if i have, well then thats not my intention.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So if your for this war, go fight it instead of watching it on CNN, and let soldiers like these, who are intelligent and rightfully against more war, stay home.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Jan. 30, 2007 - Amid reports that Iran is prepared to offer Iraq help with reconstruction and other forms of economic aid, President George W. Bush warned Tehran today that any helpfulness on its part would be met with “swift retribution” from the United States.

Speaking from the White House, Bush warned Iran not to entertain any thoughts of being helpful, vowing, “No good deed will go unpunished.” The president also issued a stern ultimatum directly to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, warning him against “future provocative offers of help.”

“Iran can continue down this dangerous path of helpfulness, or it can resume its role as an international pariah,” Bush said. “The choice is clear.”

Source

Here we go again. I've heard this harsh rhetoric before. To be exact, prior to the invasion of Iraq. While I question the goodwill of Iran's intentions, isolating them is no key to peace. Frankly, I wonder whether peace is still of any importance to the general Middle East policy. It seems that all that matters is power projection, war profits, oil and in the long term, the US Dollar.

This isolation strategy is a very dangerous one. Yesterday, an ATS'er said: ''we're already in World War III''. I beg to differ, but I will have to agree that we're very close to either a world war or a very big civil war in the Middle East.

It's happening before their eyes but they don't see it. They will when it is too late.

top topics

join