It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

surviving an EMP scenario

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2007 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Here is a very interesting link to actual testimony to Congress about EMP effects.

www.endtimesreport.com...

Report of the Commission to Assess the
Threat to the United States from
Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack

Report of the Commision

With all that has been reported recently about Iran, North Korea, Russia, and now Venezuala - this will most likely be the highest priority threat to this country.

Russia & Venezuela

Chávez hints at nuclear future for Venezuela

posted on Jun, 30 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Broad EM pulses are very hit or miss in their effect. All of our guided missile containers were EMP proofed without grounding. As far as I know, they were simple metal or fiberglass containers. A spare CPU and ignition module(in a sheilded container) for your vehicle may be all you need to bring it back to life. It's certainly not going to effect simple curcuits like incandescent light bulbs. A car or truck with a carburetor and Pertronix Igniter

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 08:20 AM
link   
If you don't have a fireplace or wood burning stove in your house, how would you heat it through the winter? I have six children and the thought of all this is really scary. I want to prepare our house for survival.

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
IMHO planning for an electricity free future makes the most sense by far - human civilization survived wit out it for thousands of years - how have we become s dependant on it in only 120 ~ 130 years ???

posted on Aug, 20 2008 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Wood burning stoves can still be found for relatively cheap. That might be something to look in to.

posted on Aug, 23 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Just a little information from some one that works at a power plant, if we were to take an EMP I don't think there would be much use in going to work the next day. As for the population making it without electric power, look at the population of the world prior to electric power. About 1/10th of what it is now. No water in cities, no refrigeration, refineries go off line, all bad juju.
In one outage a person called and wanted to know how they were going to eat, their electric can opener would not work, I sh!t you not.
I may work at a power plant but I have a wood stove, cut more wood this morning.
I also have a bailer for pulling water out of my well if the power goes out.

The spare parts issue for the power plant is becoming a real pain in the ---- some things that are critical are 26 to 78 weeks out. We have been purchasing spares but like just about every one we are behind the curve. The average person has no idea of what is involved in keeping the lights on.

posted on Aug, 26 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
if you have a wind generator keep spare IC parts for it in a ammo box.
the generator its self will not be hurt by a EMP pulse.
if you use a inverter it my be toast as most have IC circuits in them
that will put you to DC voltage only.

EMP will not hurt batteries, motors, starters, tube type radios. light bulbs
(fluorescent lights may come on brite even if turned of during a EMP attack)
anything stored underground "unless its tied to a outside power source"

EMP will kill ICs, Gasoline and diesels engines with electric controls, large tranformers. but not small ones.

Questionable, down well electrical motors on wellpumps. they will act as a super groundrod for all the powerlines in the area.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
what about drag chains? would that help with cars?

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dr_strangecraft

It is 60Hz in your walls not 60MHz FYI. Just thought you might want to know that.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

If the terrorist really want to terrorise us Non nuclear EMP would be the way to do it. Easy to construct and very effactive.

That is not entirely correct. An EMP with enough energy density and a long enough energy period of burst to do harm to an area of just a few meters is easy to construct. It would be rather large and require its own energy source to generate the pulse but is not that much to construct if the persons doing it have some electronics engineering experience.

To construct an EMP that would have a destructive effect to electronics over an area of say 40 meters square is a very complex device that would have to be an explosively driven piezoelectric system detonated directly over the target area no more than 70 meters above. These are complex devices that were originally developed by the then Soviet Union. The explosives have to be designed to detonate in a very specific shaped charge and the energy has to be directed into the cylinder used and the crystals that are compressed by the charge have to be aligned just so and the field winding have to be charged from a large capacitor at just the moment before the whole thing is destroyed by the explosive charge. It is a tricky thing that has to be tested and this testing can be detected so development of one of these devices is not a simply matter at all unless you are a Dr. Stranglove and have your own little remote island.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The US defense policy makers are most concerned about sophisticated tiny nuclear devices lofted by rocket into the ionosphere near a cluster of cities as in California. They would not have to use a large enough rocket to make orbit just large enough to get their payload up to or near the ionosphere above the target area. This would cause a large EMP to be reflected back down to the Earth from the ionosphere and destroy all electronics over a rather large area.

Such a device could be launched from the sea from a small modified cargo ship or even a big fishing boat and would reach an effective target altitude far too quickly to be stopped with anti-missile systems.

This could be done with a SCUD missile and a very low yield tactical nuke. Neither of these things is outside the realm of possibility to obtain by a well funded group with say ties to the ISI.

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

A faraday cage is the only known thing that ime aware of that if made right will defeat the EMP wave. things stored inside it will be safe.

isnt a faraday cage equivalent to a microwave, without the guts? a faraday cage is designed to keep frequencies in and out, right? i been pondering this and it seems like a death trap to me. if someone was to build a cage couldnt someone send an emp blast to an implant and basically fry them? am i missing something here?

posted on Aug, 29 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by resistor

Motor mounts are still attached with bolts. The bolt grounds out on the engine ear and the bolt grounds out on the frame. Engines also usually have another ground strap to ensure adequate grounding for the battery to complete the circuit (this is true for cars back into the 30's). Of course with a generator & points system, there is nothing to worry about. And a tube radio is impervious also. If you ever noticed Russian fighters from the 80's had ginormous nose cones for radar - as they used tubes for protection from EMP.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by skycopilot
reply to post by resistor

Motor mounts are still attached with bolts. The bolt grounds out on the engine ear and the bolt grounds out on the frame. Engines also usually have another ground strap to ensure adequate grounding for the battery to complete the circuit (this is true for cars back into the 30's). Of course with a generator & points system, there is nothing to worry about. And a tube radio is impervious also. If you ever noticed Russian fighters from the 80's had ginormous nose cones for radar - as they used tubes for protection from EMP.

Ah, I see your point.

That’s why I keep a ‘66 Riviera around, along with a spare coil. Should be able to plow through about anything in that old tank for a day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join