It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magic Johnson living for 18 years or more with HIV? cure found??

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Dont you find it interesting how Magic Johnson isnt dead yet after having HIV for over 18 years?? I mean i hear of people dying in less than a couple years and yet this man has done almost the impossible and lived for over 18 years.. and this guy is STILL NORMAL and functioning the same..

has the government found the cure for aids??? are they hiding it from us?? man i find this very confusing....

whats your insight on this?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I don't think there is a cure. Some people do live for long periods of time with HIV without developing AIDS. I would imagine he is probably taking medications that help in reducing the chance of developing AIDS. I found this on WIKI...

Current treatment for HIV infection consists of highly active antiretroviral therapy, or HAART.[81] This has been highly beneficial to many HIV-infected individuals since its introduction in 1996, when the protease inhibitor-based HAART initially became available.[82] Current HAART options are combinations (or "cocktails") consisting of at least three drugs belonging to at least two types, or "classes," of anti-retroviral agents. Typically, these classes are two nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NARTIs or NRTIs) plus either a protease inhibitor or a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI). Because AIDS progression in children is more rapid and less predictable than in adults, particularly in young infants, more aggressive treatment is recommended for children than adults.[83] In developed countries where HAART is available, doctors assess their patients thoroughly: measuring the viral load, how fast CD4 declines, and patient readiness. They then decide when to recommend starting treatment.[84]

HAART allows the stabilisation of the patient’s symptoms and viremia, but it neither cures the patient, nor alleviates the symptoms, and high levels of HIV-1, often HAART resistant, return once treatment is stopped.[85][86] Moreover, it would take more than a lifetime for HIV infection to be cleared using HAART.[87] Despite this, many HIV-infected individuals have experienced remarkable improvements in their general health and quality of life, which has led to a large reduction in HIV-associated morbidity and mortality in the developed world.[82][88][89] A computer based study in 2006 projected that following the 2004 United States treatment guidelines gave an average life expectancy of an HIV infected individual to be 32.1 years from the time of infection if treatment was started when the CD4 count was 350/µL.[

en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 28/1/07 by Skibum]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HondaCivic
Dont you find it interesting how Magic Johnson isnt dead yet after having HIV for over 18 years??

No.
Why do you?

I mean i hear of people dying in less than a couple years
From where?

and this guy is STILL NORMAL and functioning the same..

No he's not. He's on a heavy regimine of anti-viral drugs, and they are, lucky for him, keeping the HIV virus down in his system, preventing the outbreak of full blown AIDS, so far, for him.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   
My thought's, Hmmm.

It helps to have a lot of money to afford the latest, best, and most expensive treatments.

Sometimes I wonder if with all these healthy people with AIDS now, one would think more people would be getting AIDS, sick people don't have sex. But some sick people are healthy feeling enough to do it (have sex).

Some of these people would not care if they spread it. But some do care, but there are those few who don't give a @$#%.

Anyway, yes, money helps IMO.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
so doing the math... he should have about 15 years left?? maybe??

i wonder how much this would cost..., or maybe this is just something they use to cover up the fact that maybe magic johnson does have the cure? and that is wuts used by everyone else but not him...

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
His mindset and outlook on his life could also play a role. In increasing numbers it is being known that positive mindsets (with constant positive feelings) improve the quality of life. Especially the physical body.. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if Magic reached 80 yrs.

So it could be that also.

Btw.. If I'm not mistaken, there was an announcement some years ago in which they claimed that he was about 99% free of the HIV virus. Something like that.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by TheBandit795]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Btw.. If I'm not mistaken, there was an announcement some years ago in which they claimed that he was about 99% free of the HIV virus. Something like that.

That just means for the moment his viral load is "undetectable". A lot of HIV positive people have undetectable levels while on the medications.

I also know people who have been HIV positive since day one. That's over 25 years now. They still get sick though. It's not as "manageable" as the media would like you to think (I wonder why they want people to think it's so "manageable" now adays?). I know plenty of people who are HIV positive, on medication and still develope pneumonia and other problems.

I think having majic Johnson as a role model for HIV is giving the wrong impression to people (especially kids) that this disease is manageable and they don't need to protect themselves anymore. Wrong way of going about trying to curtail the disease IMO.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Contrary to what a lot of people seem to think neither HIV nor AIDS will kill a person. People can only die from complications to the virus. If you have ever heard of people with HIV passing away from something like the cold virus...it is 100% correct. HIV gradually shuts down a persons immune system so that it is no longer able to fight off other infections, and when the T4 cell count drops to around 200-300 mms the cell count is low enough to let other infections destroy the body.

In effect, a person could survive with HIV for an undetermined amount of time as long as their immune system counts remain high, and viral loads remain low.

Magic Johnson is HIV positive. He can spread the disease at any time, and his immune system be obliterated at any time. He and his wife have to practice safe sex, and use protection each and every time they have sex. As was already pointed out...Magic is rich...he can afford expensive medications, treatment therapy, a perfect nutritional system (many people do not realize that a person that actually lives "healthy" will have a greater chance of surviving for a longer period of time with the virus).

As I have stated in previous posts on this subject...

There are over 900 Billion "strains" of the virus within one single human. As the virus enters one cell it uses that cells DNA to disguise itself from the other T4 Cells and essentially "masks" itself from the others. If a person were to get vaccination shots for HIV they would need a minimal of 900 Billion vaccinations within one dose.

Also, people seem to forget that there are no cures for viruses! Physicians cannot even cure a simple Cold Virus; what makes anyone think they could cure a virus as complicated as HIV? With any virus like HIV, the Cold, the Flu, etc. a person essentially has to let the virus run its course. Unfortunately, HIV's course runs a bit longer than the flu or the cold.

Viruses cannot be cured...bacterial infections can. This is why there are no cures for viral STD's like Herpes, Hep C, Genital Warts, etc., but there are cures for bacterial STD's like Hep A & B, Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Syphilis, etc.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Viruses cannot be cured...bacterial infections can. This is why there are no cures for viral STD's like Herpes, Hep C, Genital Warts, etc.,

What about the the Rabbies virus? Or is that not considered a cure? Also, the new vaccine for HPV (genital warts) does have an affect on the virus that is currently there. Not just as a vaccine. So, to say that we will never cure a virus is a little pessimistic IMO.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Griff...

I think people sometimes get confused about what exactly a vaccine is. Vaccines are not actually considered cures for anything. All vaccines do is prepare the host's own immune system to fight the virus that has invaded the system. Smallpox, rabies, polio, etc. are all viruses and can be "contained" and "controlled" by a good vaccine, but vaccines are not a cure as some people think. Let me explain further...

There are many drugs out there to help fight against viruses, but none of them are a cure all. One important thing to keep in mind with viruses is that they not only live inside the human body, but they also live inside individual cells. Most bacteria live inside the body, but outside the cells.

Viruses are very simple organisms which use the host cell to replicate themselves, and they do not actually have a metabolism. This is why they need a host cell to survive and replicate. The immune system can actually destroy a virus and recognize a virus in certain situations, but the drugs that have been developed are nowhere near as amazing or complex as a persons own immune system...nor are they as effective. Essentially, any vaccination or drug only boosts the levels of immune system cells fighting against any organism (be it bacterial or viral) and it lets your system do the work...meaning there is no "cure".

On top of all that, there are some viruses that change very quickly from one form to another including influenza, cold, and HIV...because of their rapid changes it is much harder to create a vaccination for them. So, essentially no vaccine is a cure...the cure is actually just your own immune system fighting off the viral loads. If your immune system is good enough it can possibly fight off viral infections with the help of a vaccine.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Thanks Jazzerman.

So, in the case of the rabbies virus, it would be considered a vacine and not a cure?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
No problem Griff, just glad to help with whatever I can.

Yes that is correct, as far as rabies is concerned...

The rabies virus directly affects the nervous system in humans and eventually spreads to the brain where inflammation can occur. There is a vaccination for the virus, but even so the host will need to follow up with multiple shots during the exposure time. There is no cure for rabies, but it can be effectively fought off with the appropriate vaccination before exposure and shots after exposure. Basically what the vaccine does is boost your immune system count, and the drugs can boost it even more allowing your body to kill off the virus by essentially outnumbering it.

This is also why someone diagnosed with AIDS and an immune system count of around 200-300 mms cannot fight off other infections (co-infected). Their immune system is so outnumbered by HIV that any other infection they may get can basically ravage their body without the interference of the T4 cells.

The same goes for any viral infections including the often mentioned West Nile Virus, and Avian Flu Virus (Bird Flu).

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:37 PM
link   
just wondering, have they found like the root cause of where the infection started? and what it came from? i couldnt find that on the net..

also i dont understand whats taking so long for them to find a cure? wut problems are they facing??

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Honda...are you asking do they know where the disease started on a historical timeline, or where it started in one individual? I have an answer to both, but I'm not sure what you are asking.

As far as why it's taking so long to find a cure...

HIV is not actually a "living" organism as you and I would define a living organism. HIV is simply a set of genetic instructions carried in a envelope to instruct its host into producing more viral particles. The problem with finding a cure is simply that most but not all viruses are extremely small, ingeniously basic, and because of this...nearly impossible to destroy.

People also need to realize that a form of HIV is found in nearly all other species on earth including Monkeys (Simian Immunodeficiency Virus), Cats (Feline Immunodeficiency Virus), Sheep (Visna), and Goats (CAEV)but to name a few. So, the virus can be traced back to an original ancestor, and that ancestor is classified in the subgroup named Lentiviruses, which are in a class known as Retroviruses. So, the basic deconstruction of HIV is as follows:

Viruses - Retroviruses - Lentiviruses - Human Immunodeficiency Virus

This particular subgroup of viruses are particularly hard to destroy (for all the reasons I have mentioned in some of my posts above but don't need to repeat again). So, we have the problem of tracing the history of the virus before the 1950's when it is believed some of the first exposures took place. We know that other species on earth have Lentiviruses themselves, but because of the mutations that take place upon entering ones body it is extremely hard to trace where exactly the virus came from.

Now, here is another piece of information to blow some people's minds...

Can two people that are HIV positive have unprotected sex with each other because they already have the virus? The answer is simply no. In some cases this can cause a supervirus (which is a whole different subject), or they can cross infect one another. So, a person with HIV can actually get HIV twice. The reason to be concerned about this is because some strains of HIV are resistent to certain medications meaning that if you are on the drug Tipranavir (for example) and you are re-infected with HIV from another person, and his/her strain of HIV is resistant to Tipranavir...then that medication will probably no longer work on you as well.

Some more food for thought...

There are two forms of HIV: HIV-1 and HIV-2. Not only are physicians combatting over 900 Billion strains of the virus in a single human being, but they are also battling against the two forms that HIV comes in. However, it should be noted that HIV-2 infection is rare and only accounts for a small number of infections, but when you consider everything I have previously said in my other posts you can see it will be extremely difficult for any medicine to work on it.

This is not to say that one day something won't be developed to help combat the disease better than what we have now. If you were to ask me to predict the future of medications for HIV I would simply tell you that it is more probable that medications will be developed to sustain life, and not so much to "cure" the disease.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
There could be one way to destroy the HIV virus, but it has been poorly researched in the last decades, due to either ridicule or surpression by the authories and the medical community.

It's the RIFE technology. According to theory, that can destroy all bacteria and all virusses by way of vibration.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I agree with Toadmund,

Money can buy the latest and best drugs for AIDS.

Also, there are people that will go and find all of the best treatments for this disease therefore allowing them to live longer.

I know someone that has had this disease for 18 years but he is getting sick now. He took advantage of every single new medicine that he could get his hands on.

This person doesn't have money like Magic Johnson so the public Assistance pays for his medicine.

I also know someone that lived 24 months after being diagnosed. She was only 24 yrs old when she died.

I also know of a little boy that was only five years old when he died from AIDS.
He was born with AIDS.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
HE LEAVES THE GAME BECAUSE OF AIDS. YET, ONE YEAR LATER HE COMES BACK INTO PLAY FOR ONE YEAR. NOW THAT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN UNLESS YOU TEST NEG. SO, HOW DID HE DO THAT?
ENVIVO BLOOD ELECTROLOSIS,ELECTROMAGNETIC PULSEWAVE GENERATION,COLLIODAL SILVER SUSPENDED IN AN ELECTROLIZED STATE WITHIN DISTILLED WATER ,IONIZED WATER.
THATS WHAT HE USED. THATS WHAT HAS BEEN SUPRESSED.THATS WHAT THE US PATENT OFFICE GRANTED PATENTS FOR IN 1990 AS BEING A 100% CURE FOR THE VIRUS. THATS WHAT I HAVE FOUND TO WORK WHEN I CHOOSE TO SAVE MY FRIENDS LIVES. PEOPLE DIE ALL THE TIME FOR REVEALING THIER SECRETS OF HEALTH AND WELL-BEING. SO BE IT.

Mod Note: All Caps – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 8/2/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on May, 16 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
HE must be using a new treatment, you see hiv not only reproduces in the blood but also in the guy area where it may mutate and become a raging virus that attacks the tcells in the blood and destroys the immune system. Know todays medicine can almost counter and limit the resistance in the blood and all and some in other parts of the immune system. But getting the whole load of the virus that is in the gut is hard with conventional medicine...if magic john son has a 99% cure of hiv, then they must be doing something to get the hiv in the gut which is probably some new medicine or something the public doesn't know about.

posted on Mar, 28 2008 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Hi!

According to my information, Magic Johnson was cured from HIV by taking healing water which springs in a little village called Tlacote north of capital Ciudad de México, in Mexico. There are four such healing wells found in the world: in Mexico, in Germany, in India and in China. The water has extraordinary healing capabilities and has cured thousands, even milions from many different diseases and health problems. You can read more about this on Share International web page. The water or homeopathic praparations from it can be easily ordered.

posted on Jun, 26 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join