It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Causes of the end of the world as we know it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   
After much deliberation on where to place this post, I figured that it really boiled down to science, no matter how I sliced it - environmental science, physical science, political science, etc. Anyway, on to the post.

There are literally hundreds of theories out there as to what will cause life as we know it to end. I'm posting here to start a discussion as to what we feel is the most likely cause of the end of everything we've built.

Of the suggested causes, it's ranged from everything from warfare (not just nuclear, but nuclear is the most common), terrestrial (such as the possibility of a supervolcano erupting at Yellowstone), extraterrestrial (as in the meteor that will pass under our satellites in 2012, possibly lining itself up for a direct impact somewhere around 2030), and technology (such as the development of an AI that will attack the human race - a scenario popular in science fiction).

Personally, I think it may be of a political/warfare nature, but I want input from all of you wizened souls on here to try and formulate a more informed theory.

Let's let the game begin, and suggest the way the world will end (or at least suffer such a cataclysmic event, so as to completely change life as we know it).

How will everything end? You tell me.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
With the drastic consumption of natural resources, it is inevitable that nations will eventually begin fighting one another for mere resources. Fresh water, lumber, minerals, metals,... Oil.

This is of course a foolhearty endeavour. Going to war requires resources, more resources than you can possibly aquire from that war. However, because of public need and demand, the nations governments will be left with no alternative.

This may be seen as a possible end of all times, however, I like to think of it as a rebirth. You see, nature can retake areas alot faster than say, a horribly damaged human populace. Which will mean that whatever country happens to be the last standing, wont be able to repopulate the earth as fast as nature can retake it. So in the end, you will have a fertile earth to enhabit again.

As for which country will be the last standing?
It will either be Canada, or one of the south american nations.
Why? Because we have vast amounts of natural resources, most of which are the last remaining on the earth. A planet fighting for these resources is certainly not going to do anything that will destroy those very resources.

Wether we will still be known by the national names we currently hold, is another story.

These resource pools will no doubt be the last stand. This is most likely where mankind would have to start from again, should the rest of the world destroy itself.

I cannot see the 'end of times'. We will inevitably come to a point where the majority of the human race is killed off... but the human race will still continue.

Meteors are a good point. But there is no way of saying right now what the chances are of getting hit by a meteor. They are random, until you actually spot one and know its trajectory. It's kind of a "we dont know if one will hit us, and until we are capable in doing something about it, we shouldnt really care" because seriously, what would knowing do you? It would simply create panic before everyone dies... as opposed to calm before death.

Climate change? No. That wouldnt kill us. Climate change is a slow thing, and would be far to easy for our race to adapt to and still keep our creature comforts at the same time. You talk of a major change in heat, well look at jamaica, they seem to handle it ok. You talk of a major cold front, well, the Canadians and Russians can teach you how to live quite happily in -60 Celcius temperatures.

If we are to die, its going to happen without us knowing it.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:41 AM
link   
We will be consumed in fire of an enormous magnitude.
Fire of intense proportions all over the entire globe, burning everything to a total ash......everything. Whole cities leveled, boiled and buried miles down and not a trace (that hot). Global plates shifting under intense heat. Sinking continents and creating new ones. It will be a whole entirely new world. Like the Garden of Eden only better.
How? I'm not sure yet. It's a mystery.

My guess is we're gonna have something unfold, that no one in a million years ever thought about. It's going to come from out of the blue....unexpectedly.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by rocknroll]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Science can only observe the end of the world as we know it, not predict the end of the world as we know it.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Some of the posters on this topic have missed the point of my original intent. I wished to discuss science, not theory. As far as the world at large, what is the biggest possibility of the end-times, regarding politics, science, etc. I don't wish to get answers that have no proof or evidence. I'm looking for science here (whether you consider science physical, medical, political, or religious). I don't want responses that speculate without evidence (yes, I'm pointing at you, Rocknroll, and also Soitenly), I'm looking at not scientific proof, but the likelihood, which means it would be shown by science, even if it ultimately proves false.

I'll state again:

I want scientific evidence or proof that alludes to the end times. What theory is the most probable? Refer to my original post if you need ideas.

[edit on 1/30/2007 by obsidian468]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I saw a special on the history channel that counted down the biggest threats to our world, super volcanoes, asteroids etc.. the number one threat to earth, in their opinion, was global warming.

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:09 PM
link   
with all the effort we are taking to figure out what could destroy our world we could be out there saving it

Ex

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't think there IS a scientific answer to your question.
or that this really is, The End Times!

The possibilities of our our demise are endless
but all are just theory and speculation.
The one thing I do know is
Humans are adaptable, and have survived through most every
natural catastrophe I can think of.
Atomic bombs, ,floods and hurricanes,
Fire and volcanic activity, Wars, even by genocidal dictators.

The future is ours , with many alternatives
Robotic soldiers, flying cars, homes that are fortresses
with openings in the roof to park. Technological advances that
will marvel the mind!
Whose to say, we may find an alternative energy tomorrow
that will untie us from our oil addiction.

There is No science to our demise.....
But there is hope
with hard work and effort
we can adapt!!

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Nothing, we have reached a point that anything that would happen, their would still be survivors to start anew. Humans will exist as long as the universe exist.

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Environmental collapse combined with the end of cheap oil will be followed by economic collapse and cause mass starvations and resource and religious wars. After a prolonged period of, possibly nuclear, war most of modern technology will be unavailable to the masses. Society will be forced to return to a rural, agrarian base. Doctors, scientists, engineers will be scarce and therefore highly coveted by the numerous small, rural communities.

top topics

join