It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS Segregating?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I'm not saying thats a good thing. When the path of knowledge becomes comfortable and easy, It's no longer the path of knowledge.

As in, it becomes more like recessive, non-interactive aquisition or rejection?

(Stop pretending i'm Yoda I must as well.)

lol, can you clarify that for me please? No comprende!

And Regen, curious that. Segregation related to a caste level system under the all seeing eye. So many a truth is said in jest! I wonder how may people here are the inconspicuous anchor stones of your cute little pyramid. Well, so much for making a thread topic out of nuttin. Fun while it lasted though.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacedoubt
No way am I falling for one of them pyramid schemes Regenmacher.

Glad to hear that Spacedoubt!

Allow me to point out one discrepancy, and I know it's all in fun.

So long as the sun shines.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Let me relate an incident that has colored my choice of where and who I respond to.

I used to jump into any old thread, the more outrageous or controversial, and have fun debunking statements, pointing out errors in facts or logic. Great fun.

Then I got a u2u from a "junior" member, telling me that what I was doing was bad. I may have been right in debunking a thread, said the member, but I was not giving the youngsters the chance to learn it on their own. Give us a chance, the member said.

Since then, I mostly stay away from those newbie threads that don't meet a certain level of standard.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Let me relate an incident that has colored my choice of where and who I respond to.

I used to jump into any old thread, the more outrageous or controversial, and have fun debunking statements, pointing out errors in facts or logic. Great fun.

Then I got a u2u from a "junior" member, telling me that what I was doing was bad. I may have been right in debunking a thread, said the member, but I was not giving the youngsters the chance to learn it on their own. Give us a chance, the member said.

Since then, I mostly stay away from those newbie threads that don't meet a certain level of standard.

I disagree with you. I think you should get stuck in and treat it like any other thread. The new members can either observe the debunking, or (more likely) see what you're doing, and then look at the story again.

When I first joined up I too was running from thread to thread posting like a crazy fool, but then I realised that what I was posting was either completely stupid, or complete belief. Even though I saw a hole in a story, I just looked past it out of courtesy. Then I realised that we were MEANT to look through the holes... and since then I've had a hell of a time.

There are some threads which I just won't post in. Anything to do with George Bush gets my blood pressure to high, and I don't want a heart attack at 18

But I do read alot of what gets posted. When I log in, I read all of the 'Recent Posts', I browse my favourite forums and skim through the top 6 or so. And I also understan ATS chat is a pretty good feature too (though I've never used it)

There isn't a segregation, but I think older members like to see how new members are shaping up before they reply to them.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada

Originally posted by Duzey
There are many topics I have discussed to death, and can't even be bothered to participate in any more. I have given up on certain topics to retain what is left of my sanity.

If I have something factual to add, or a topic is going on where people are looking for a certain bit of information I know where to locate, then I will pop in and give a link for them. I'm just not interested in rehashing the same arguments over and over. I applaud those who have the patience for it, but I don't.

That doesn't mean I don't read their posts.

Hit the nail on the head!

Well they do say the old ones are the best !

I've been a member for quite a while as a few might still remember me from DR's days, I still come and look and read often but you do find that certain subject are looked at over and over again !

Not saying that isn't good as its always good to get another point of view no matter what the subject in hand maybe !

You never know whats around the corner or whats gonna happen next really.................do you ?

blackwidow back again !!!!! (back from the dead)

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 05:48 AM
link   
I would consider myself a newbie.

Do I feel comfortable here? Yes.

Do I feel intimidated here? Yes.

But, does that stop me? An obvious No.

I'll hop right on up here on the porch with the big dogs... I aint scared.

If I have something to add and a thought with enough catalyst to drive my fingers to beat out my thoughts or opinions, I am more than happy to share. Giving little to no thought about who cares for me or not.

When it comes to MY opinion... everyone is entitled to it.

Im not here to be liked, Im here to learn and hey, maybe teach a bit.

To the OP, I give you a kissy for the weaker of the species. But hey, if they are scared to post, nothing you can do can help them. ATS is where the big dogs sit... the porch.

Lastly, I too own a board and I have about 50 members that post everyday... regulars one could say. It doesnt matter how many times a newbie comes in and asks the same beat down, (to us) stupid question. But! We understand WE use to be that 'stupid' person and we RESPOND to their post.

Its just the right thing to do. And if others of you feel youre above that or too 'senior' to be bothered with beat down threads or newbies then you are selfish and closed-minded. Youre work here at ATS is done, you can go now. You have given and taken all you wish. Now, you just want to take? No give?

You would be very surprised at what a 'newbie' that hasnt been ATS programmed might bring. Newbies are like a breath of fresh air! Love um!

The pups have to play in the yard. Much like the real world, really.

I stay on the porch regardless of the place or situation. ATS is not for the timid.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades

Originally posted by jsobecky

I disagree with you. I think you should get stuck in and treat it like any other thread. The new members can either observe the debunking, or (more likely) see what you're doing, and then look at the story again.

Well, that's fine. Disagree if you want. I chose the other way, mostly because I didn't want to appear like a bully. No regrets.

Looking back, I'm glad I made the choice.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I agree I think that alot of cliques are forming...this is a new name for me on here I used to have an old name but got rid of it because it sucked...But anywho I have noticed alot of cliques between some senior members and others as well...I think thats great if you make some close friends on here but I dont think that people are going out of there way to avoid "newbies" by any means...I just think that they have some close friends that they talk to more often than others...

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Uisge Baugh
I agree I think that alot of cliques are forming...this is a new name for me on here I used to have an old name but got rid of it because it sucked...But anywho I have noticed alot of cliques between some senior members and others as well...I think thats great if you make some close friends on here but I dont think that people are going out of there way to avoid "newbies" by any means...I just think that they have some close friends that they talk to more often than others...

So clearly jsobecky, I am not the only one here raising the question in the thread title. I feel it is a valid one given what I have seen. But now that we have all these different viewpoints on the issue, maybe awareness of it will be beneficial in some way. Maybe it won't. And maybe I shouldn't care.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Any member, veteran or rookie, should not have to feel compelled to contribute to any thread.

Veteran members don't necessarily have the truth, in fact I would say none do. That's why they are here. I've seen some HIGH point members spew such absolute nonsense, that it just reinforces the opinion that 'veteran poster' does not equal 'veteran knowledge'.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I have not seen this at all. I dont care who iniciates the post, if i like it, or find it amusing or irritable or crazy, i'll put in my 2 cents.

I dont think ATS members are clicky at all...anymore. There was one time it was more prevalent but i dont see it now.

Lets all come together and love one another and give peace a chance.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I can not really speak on behalf of it today, but I believe that I respond to threads created by "senior" members and new members all of the time. But I can speak from experience from when I was the fresh face around here. Within a few weeks of ATS, you begin to grow accustomed to who is frequent with the boards. Some of the more astute members can be very intimidating when you just walk through the door. I think in my early days, I tended to avoid threads created by senior members because I felt it was inappropriate to rush into a thread as an "inexperienced" member and offer any criticisms to someone who had been here much longer.

Now that I've been here for well over a year, I can see how absurd that is. I hope that new members today are not avoiding threads that are created by our upper echelon members. They are not bullies, they are simply very talented at getting their point across while being passionate. Good writing skills come in handy with ATS, so someone who may lack the skill slightly, may feel in over their head with certain members.

I think you need to beat the best to be the best. And with ATS, you can certainly learn from the best.

But as for cliques, I really don't think that is the case. That would imply that this "group" as a whole is aware of it and intentionally keeps to themself. Certainly not the case, and I would be interested to see who would ever be accused of it. How would you possibly track it? Govern everyone's posts and see who they tend to respond to? Certainly we have some preferences, which is only human nature. But that is quite far from a clique.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 09:07 AM
link   
All I have to say is this.

A few months ago I got into it with a "not so senior member".

It was funny how much support the person had from their fellow colleagues. I was appalled at how horrible the favoratism was in the thread,anyhow the whole thing was about how younger members who cant possibly have the knowledege that they speak must be googlers or something to that effect.

Anyways the whole thing ended in my posts in the thread to be deleted and I think i was even suspended for three months.

I don't even bother posting anymore cause its like a elementary school yard in here sometimes.The member i was arguing with actually got the wats award for that thread,mainly from people just blatently agreeing or as it looked "jumping on the band wagon".I said I was so disgusted that i was going to stop posting ,and basically I have.

Aswell I have alot of podcasts with hundreds of views most of them are over 1000,yet I have never been mentioned in any ats review,or been given any kind of recognition.funny that.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by toraylin]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
I think in my early days, I tended to avoid threads created by senior members because I felt it was inappropriate to rush into a thread as an "inexperienced" member and offer any criticisms to someone who had been here much longer.

I agree alot with that.

I think some new members, me included when I first joined (even though I'm still pretty new) kinda get...nervous if they disagree with a senior member.

Because if you are new, and then there is another member with a filled up red bar, 10 million points and seems to know everything, you don't think you can just go "Hey! You're wrong, man!" Because you'd think they will do some super scientific stuff and you'll look like an idiot.

At least thats what I thought, now I know most members are friendly and glad to help you

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by toraylin
Aswell I have alot of podcasts with hundreds of views most of them are over 1000,yet I have never been mentioned in any ats review,or been given any kind of recognition.funny that.

Toraylin, I understand your frustration with the podcasts. Even the admins make reference to their "3 listeners." At least they have 3, lol, they ought to be grateful. Anymore I'm lucky to get any comments at all on music podcasts. It really makes you feel like what you're posting sucks. Since I refuse to believe that, the bottom line for me is that people just don't give a crap about music here- it's a conspiracy site.

As to ATS segregation, the new social networking function poses interesting parallels to the OP here. What those are exactly I am still thinkin on.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
The new social networking on ATS reminds me a bit of high school with "clicks." Oh well he's friends with so and so, he must be cool. Or so and so dosen't like him, he must be a jerk.
Posting on the comments section is the equivalent to "sign my yearbook."

Just my opinion on the new network.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by enjoies05
Because if you are new, and then there is another member with a filled up red bar, 10 million points and seems to know everything, you don't think you can just go "Hey! You're wrong, man!" Because you'd think they will do some super scientific stuff and you'll look like an idiot.

......being academically challenged I understand this statement very much.

When I see a repeated topic posted by a newbie I tend to find the original and post the link into the thread, I also keep an eye on the thread just in case anything new arises from the fresh input some newbies provide.

p.s. The idea of segregation and cliques could now be more of an issue as more users are participating in the [Friend or Foe facility.

[edit on 17-3-2007 by Koka]

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I dont agree with the Veteran/Newbie divide because as far as im concerned there isnt one. I have had very intelligent conversations with newbies and vets and i dont treat any as differnet as the other.

I make a point of welcoming a newbie when i see their thread on the board
to try and make them feel welcome

As mentioned lots in this thread the problem is a lot of the topics are seasoned to the ATS vets and to them repeating a debate on the same subject is and can be quite boring but its still ok to look and have a read. It does not mean you have to post though.

What i have noticed is that there is a lot of highly intelligent teen newbies hitting the board lately who come up with some great stuff. (A fresh set of eyes and grey matter is always welcome)

Sadly what i have also noticed is the TROLLS. Dammit they are everywhere lately it must be like the hip thing to be a troll on ATS

AHEM AHEM AHEM.............

I have just remembered when i was a newbie in 2004 i had a disagreement with a mod on a topic. I then received a volley of abuse from other members of "You cant talk to him like that do you not know who that is he is a mod". when i only disagreed with a comment??????

So now im thinking HHHHHMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Saying shut up or something like that to a mod is like a kid saying shut up to his Grandmother. It's just....wrong.

posted on Mar, 17 2007 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Been noticing this for quite a while now that many of the senior members are staying out of many of the newer member's threads. Anyone else noticed this? Bad bad bad. Maybe I'm wrong, but it also seems that cliques have formed here and it's starting to remind me of high school. Certain people seem to only reply in certain people's threads.

I personally haven't noticed this happening. That's not to say it's not the case, but keep in mind also that a lot of ATSers don't have hours per day to browse the site and keep abreast of all the threads. Most people, pressed for time, are only going to click on titles that interest them, or people who interest them.

Still, it might be worth looking into. What would you suggest as a fix for it?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join