It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS Segregating?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   
Most of the time when I read a thread; someone has already posted what I wanted to say and usually better. No need to be redundent.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Umm, well, while that certainly doesn't apply to me... I respond to threads that interest me... I do notice that you have to be careful who you "offend" on these threads because if you offend some, they won't only not post on your threads, they generally ignore anything you have to say on other threads as well... I am not going to name people, but it is something that I have noticed about certain ones here.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I would call it settling in and finding your niche, where as new members are more apt to be jumping around until they settle in. Seems only natural to me.

It would be unnatural to force people to respond to posts that they have no interest in.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by Regenmacher]

df1

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
they won't only not post on your threads, they generally ignore anything you have to say on other threads as well...

Do you really think people are ignoring me out of spite? I prefer to believe that they came around to my way of thinking and in their silence they are giving their tacit approval to my views. Go figure.

But seriously, redundancy is big reason I don't post in some threads. I also tend to avoid threads where my views are already expressed to my satisfaction. As far as cliques, I don't think I am involved in any, however I will at times remark to posters with which I have had some sort of exchange in the past. Some folks are pleased at encountering me again, others aren't.

My advice to new posters is to keep posting, someone will get around to offending you in no time.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by df1]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by df1

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth
they won't only not post on your threads, they generally ignore anything you have to say on other threads as well...

Do you really think people are ignoring me out of spite? I prefer to believe that they came around to my way of thinking and in their silence they are giving their tacit approval to my views. Go figure.

I was referring to my own experience really.. I have "offended" a couple of posters on this forum and they not only don't post on any of my threads, but generally ignore any of my posts on other threads as well, even if the post was related directly towards one of their posts.. I am not going to mention any names here because that wouldn't be fair.However, it has come to my attention that such things do happen here. As far as cliques existing here,I am not so sure about that... I think there are some posters that are "drawn" more to some than others, but that is just human nature I suppose.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I haven't noticed this, but I haven't been around for that long. It has happened in other forums I've been to, but it doesn't ruin it so much.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Not a senior member but by no means new.

When I post in a topic I consider a lot of things. The main thing is whether or not I can actually be bothered to post. Sometimes you get the feeling that something you post will lead to a potentially long, boring argument.
Also, as I've been here for a while, I see threads get repeated. I mainly frequent the Crypto forums, and some of the things there have been posted time and time again. Similarly in the UFO forums.

I will confess however that I do sometimes neglect to post in a newer members thread - however I do so not out of any sort of n00b prejudice. I don't post in every thread that interests me, and definitely not in those that completely bore me. I don't post in any one members threads, nor do I follow members around posting in topics they post in.

Personally, I find that members who share similar beliefs and interests will be drawn to the same threads - which may explain why it seems membrs only post in their friends thrads.

I have noticed however something. I wouldn't call it segregation though. As I mainly have begun to inhabit BTS, I find a lot of members, new and old, mingle there (although even there I am a lazy poster).

A good way for new members to put their beliefs forward and gain a reputation would be to muck around in BTS for a while. Join a competition, tell some jokes or urban legends, create a hoax picture (my favourite thread!), or talk about games, films, books, comics...
I would say a week of activity in BTS is the best introduction you could make into ATS.

[edit on 29/1/07 by JackofBlades]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
lol, well good responses folks.

But I see no one has taken up my challenge to clear iggy's yet.
Awe, come on. Be brave. Be forgiving. Give it another chance! (And hey mods, don't you dare go in and see who I got on iggy.
Since I started this mess, I reserve special priviledge to maintain my one iggy.
) But tell ya what, I'll clear it if someone else clears theirs in the interest of reuniting the board, and says so in this thread. But be honest, please.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Now that's curious. And that's kinda where I'm going with this a bit. It is to members like you then that I appeal to maybe jump in a few of those and MAKE it interesting. A lot of the newer members don't understand yet that this ain't "just your average" discussion board. It seems that to get the attention of more of the senior people here, threads have to be a longer read, with salient points, interesting discussion, good sources and links, and a unique angle on the story. The new people jumping in and making a thread with just a link and a one liner comment don't much appeal to me either.

Well I mean they tend to be threads I just have no wanting to reposnd
to, like the various crap you find in Aliens & UFOs, if I think I help a
thread move on in a good direction, I'll add to it.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by JackofBlades
I have noticed however something. I wouldn't call it segregation though. As I mainly have begun to inhabit BTS, I find a lot of members, new and old, mingle there (although even there I am a lazy poster).

A good way for new members to put their beliefs forward and gain a reputation would be to muck around in BTS for a while. Join a competition, tell some jokes or urban legends, create a hoax picture (my favourite thread!), or talk about games, films, books, comics...
I would say a week of activity in BTS is the best introduction you could make into ATS.

[edit on 29/1/07 by JackofBlades]

This is a damn good idea. BTS let's us get to know each other. I don't know how many people I've locked horns with members on the other boards but once we get to BTS we chill, relax and have some laughs. That's what BTS is for. I recommend BTS for EVERYONE!!!

As for segregation, it's just that older members have been here a while and they've posted on a given topic numerous times, no need to post again, your point already is out there. That's the mentality I've had about certain issues, abortion and capital punishment come to mind. The thing is, the new members don't know your point of view, older members do. Maybe I'll have to re-evaluate this practice.

Edit: Syntax.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by intrepid]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   

You have voted JackofBlades for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

Dead on man. Not only do I agree completely, but it is exactly what I did.

When I first signed up with ATS, I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. 9/11, JFK, Bush, Terrorism, Lennon, Conspiracy Conspiracy!! I could not get it out quick enough. I would spend five minutes on the "greatest" post of all time, sit back and wait for the conversation to begin. Then I noticed something. These "thoughts" that I had were seriously flawed and I was being toasted on every corner. I noticed quickly that ATS expects a certain level and I was determined to meet it.

I backed off of ATS for some time and lurked over on BTS. I chatted amongst members frequently with lighter subjects and participated in some games. Events, competitions, etc., were all in good fun and I dipped my hand into creating avatars. After some time I began to get a feel for the board and it's operation. The bbcode became second nature and I finally felt comfortable in my ability to make some contributions. After all, it is not the message itself that you are trying to portray. The manner in which you present the message is ultimately going to dictate how people accept it. Some of us learn this quicker than others.

BTS is a place where new members can learn the ropes, get accustomed to posting, and hell.. even form a click or two. I met a lot of great members in different threads that pertained to off beat subjects, and I continue to chat frequently with them today.

Jack, I think you've hit the nail right on the head. Well said!

Edit: Typo

[edit on 29-1-2007 by chissler]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
The thing is, the new members don't know your point of view, older members do. Maybe I'll have to re-evaluate this practice.

Exactly Intrepid. I at one point thought about doing a "member review" podcast to help bring about some of these positions on issues. But I dropped that idea for several reasons, not the least of which was I'd probably be just opening a real big can of worms. Also, people's postions change sometimes. So it was just unrealistic, not to mention the saying that goes around here that "it's the post that is interesting, and not the member."

But hey, by talking about all this, at least some of the newer members can glimpse a few of the reasons that some of the "senior" members may not be responding to their posts. I felt that was important enough to bring about this thread, so they don't just go wander off thinking no one around here gave a crap and was just ignoring them.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   
TrueAmerican,

Thank you for pointing out a potential flaw in (my) posting habits. Didn't realize I was developing them. I have deleted my ignores. (Allright, I kept ONE-call it a souvenir). I have all the same reasons for not posting in certain forums as everyone else has already mentioned, but, you're right about second chances.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Well, there certainly are a lot of old-timers and what I consider Proficient Posters responding here, so what does that say about the OP?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Well, there certainly are a lot of old-timers and what I consider Proficient Posters responding here, so what does that say about the OP?

I suppose that clearly I am out of my mind, demented, and totally off base. What else is new?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
How about we call it the abovetopsecret caste system instead...

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
No way am I falling for one of them pyramid schemes Regenmacher.

I'm not sure about segregating. I mostly click on posts the fit two criteria.
something with Compelling "threadline" and in one of the forums that interest me

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Most of the time when I read a thread; someone has already posted what I wanted to say and usually better. No need to be redundent.

I'm not so sure I'd categorize that as redundant! Isn't part of the reason we all post to guage a person's agreement or disagreement with your position on something? And before you all take that to extremes, let me reiterate: PART of the reason. I realize there are plenty of other reasons!

But the point is, whaaa, it is helpful to a degree to state, if nothing else, your agreement or disagreement with a certain position. And then even more interesting, the reason(s) why for either case. When done in a civil manner, that is part of what generates interesting discussion, yes? So what I'm trying to say is that even if you agreed, and someone stated it "better," it may be helpful and beneficial to another member to state that you agree. And equally as helpful or beneficial to state why you disagree.

And by the way, the fact that you stated that was helpful to me, and a good part of the discussion here, contrary to those that might make me out to be wacko for the OP.

Now the real consideration is to me, jso, the reasons those very people you speak of might or might not be responding in this thread. But I will not conjecture on that, seeing as to do so might push buttons that are best left unpressed, lest someone bring up a topic they feel like discussing. I.e., this one.

Regen, lol. Surely you didn't just go to all the trouble to whip that up for a meaningless topic like this one? Cute.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
When I first signed up with ATS, I was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. 9/11, JFK, Bush, Terrorism, Lennon, Conspiracy Conspiracy!! I could not get it out quick enough.

And that may be part of it. New members are all over the place and soaking it in like a sponge and posting on topics both old and new with the energy of a two year old on a sugar buzz.

Members that have been here awhile have found their niche and tend to look into the threads that have become familiar to them or simply pique their interest. They don't feel the need to weigh in on every subject.

I'm not saying thats a good thing. When the path of knowledge becomes comfortable and easy, It's no longer the path of knowledge.

This has become something to think about. Dwell on it I must. (Stop pretending i'm Yoda I must as well.)

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Regen, lol. Surely you didn't just go to all the trouble to whip that up for a meaningless topic like this one? Cute.

I enjoy making graphics..so it's no trouble at all.

A laugh a day keeps the psychiatrist away too...

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join