It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is ATS Segregating?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Been noticing this for quite a while now that many of the senior members are staying out of many of the newer member's threads. Anyone else noticed this? Bad bad bad. Maybe I'm wrong, but it also seems that cliques have formed here and it's starting to remind me of high school. Certain people seem to only reply in certain people's threads.

The new members around here are jumping into any thread without prejudice, as it should be. I simply ask that we all push the reset buttons around here, and that the seniors maybe make an effort to jump into some of the newer member's threads and make them feel welcome. We need unity at ATS, and not division. For united we stand... Justa slapa me if I'm off base here.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Which threads in particular do you think have been passed over?
Perhaps the people that have been on the board for a few years are a little older than the people that are new, and thus have different posting schedules and don't see the threads from newer members?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:29 PM
link   
Well, I can't say I've really noticed that.

But, perhaps it's because they are no interested in the thread topic,
or have responded so many times before to older threads about the
topic that they no longer feel like responding to it after doing so so
much.

Personally, if I don't post in a thread unless I like the subject and
have something to contribute.

But alot of threads by newer members just are'nt that interesting to
me, that;s not to say that they're are none.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I post in any thread that I think I can contribute something to, or learn something from through discussion.

I'm not sure if your observation is accurate, but I certainly hope it isn't.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by iori_komei
But, perhaps it's because they are no interested in the thread topic,
or have responded so many times before to older threads about the
topic that they no longer feel like responding to it after doing so so
much.

I pretty much agree with the last part of this statement: I have seen the same old topics over and over and the new people, not aware of this history, post the same old threads that have been here for quite awhile.

Some examples are:
various Alien threads proclaiming - "Proof of Aliens!" which never turns out to be any kind of proof.

Assorted NWO alarmist threads

Global Warming, both pro and con

Please understand, It's not that I don't think these things exist, it's just that after having been here for a year and a half, you begin to see alot of the same old topics. I would say that doing a search before you post is helpful, except that, at least on my computer, the search function works not at all.
So, newbies, it's not your fault, it's just, well, we've gone over the same ground already but you weren't here for it.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Although I don't exactly see myself as a "Senior Member", I'm not a newbie either, so I guess I can add my opinion?

I agree with iori_komei - and like to add that older members probably read all the "over-looked" threads, they just don't reply because it's the repeat of exactly the same conversation they've taken part in 3/6/12 months ago. They've spoken their minds on the topic, and have nothing else to add. It's not out of disrespect or "prejudice" towards newer members. IMO.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   
omfg you found me out!

AWAY WITH THEE!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 01:22 AM
link   
There are many topics I have discussed to death, and can't even be bothered to participate in any more. I have given up on certain topics to retain what is left of my sanity.

If I have something factual to add, or a topic is going on where people are looking for a certain bit of information I know where to locate, then I will pop in and give a link for them. I'm just not interested in rehashing the same arguments over and over. I applaud those who have the patience for it, but I don't.

That doesn't mean I don't read their posts.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
There are many topics I have discussed to death, and can't even be bothered to participate in any more. I have given up on certain topics to retain what is left of my sanity.

If I have something factual to add, or a topic is going on where people are looking for a certain bit of information I know where to locate, then I will pop in and give a link for them. I'm just not interested in rehashing the same arguments over and over. I applaud those who have the patience for it, but I don't.

That doesn't mean I don't read their posts.

Hit the nail on the head!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Nygdan: It's just a pattern I've been noticing, and I wouldn't want to start naming particular threads, as there are too many to go there. As to the older members not seeing the threads from newer members, that's a possibility, but I would guess not on that for the most part. The older members are very aware that they can read by forum or even by author instead of just "recent posts." But one of the forums I notice many of the older members tend to stay out of is the "War on Terrorism" forum.

iori:

But alot of threads by newer members just are'nt that interesting to
me, that;s not to say that they're are none.

Now that's curious. And that's kinda where I'm going with this a bit. It is to members like you then that I appeal to maybe jump in a few of those and MAKE it interesting. A lot of the newer members don't understand yet that this ain't "just your average" discussion board. It seems that to get the attention of more of the senior people here, threads have to be a longer read, with salient points, interesting discussion, good sources and links, and a unique angle on the story. The new people jumping in and making a thread with just a link and a one liner comment don't much appeal to me either.

WO: Maybe because you operate that way, which is great, you are not as sensitive to it, I dunno. Like I said, I may be way off here. But regardless, there is not any member on this site that I would not reply to in his or her thread (except one), simply because of who that member is. And I cannot say the same for some others here. Or at least that is the way it appears. That is the segregation I am speaking of.

forestlady: I hear ya! The problem of repeating threads and topics beat to death is as old as discussion boards themselves, yes? Wasn't SO working on trying to get the search function operating better? I am not bitching, but the last time I used it, and tried to search all since the beginning, it failed miserably.

Gemwolf: Roger that. Maybe a quick link then to a previous discussion or single post might help? I know that's a sad way to waste a post, but maybe instead a quick U2U might be in order? Honestly here I am just trying to help these newer members integrate into this community.

Lys: lol, found you out? Away with me? Don't make me go get in your favorite video game and school you like a newb!

Duz: Roger that too. Then if we can't be bothered to discuss the same old topics again with newer members, and incorporate their views, do you understand now the reason for my OP? It is just something that I have noticed, and am hopefully calling attention to, with or without just cause. This is not meant to be any kind of argument here, but rather, just a pointer that hey- a bunch of new members are here, and we need to help them by showing them the kind of discussions that make for interesting reading. In other words, minimal one liners, and more unique angles.

Anyway, thanks all for the responses so far. Let's try to work together to help make this a viable place for the seasoned as well as the raw!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
many of the senior members

Do you mean 'mods'? I only see 'member' under names. I don't see 'senior member'. I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm just trying to understand. What is a 'senior member'??

There are many topics I have discussed to death, and can't even be bothered to participate in any more.

COPY THAT. Same here. (I just heard a big 'yahoo' from those who don't like me .. they probably think I'll get board and leave
)

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   

But one of the forums I notice many of the older members tend to stay out of is the "War on Terrorism" forum.

Guilty as charged.

I stay out of that forum, no matter who makes the post. It's bad for my blood pressure and makes me cranky. There's no discrimination or segregation involved. That said, there are posters on ATS that I will not respond to under any circumstances and if they are active in a thread, chances are I won't post in it. Not a single one of them is a 'newbie' and my decision is based on past experiences with them (FlyersFan is not one of them
).

I try to make a point of responding to everything in the Canadian Politics forum (shameless promotion
).

I understand the reason behind your post, I really do. It's nice that you want to make ATS a more welcoming place for new posters. After all, we were all new posters once.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Do you mean 'mods'? I only see 'member' under names. I don't see 'senior member'. I'm not giving you a hard time, I'm just trying to understand. What is a 'senior member'??

Well mods by default are senior members, imo, and mostly by either longevity or position. They are not likely to be mods without a long history here. But it is not mods I am speaking of so much, as they are busy routinely involved in other things and may not get the chance to post as often. But you are an example of a senior member, FF, imo. Someone who's been around a while, like over two years, is active, has like over 1,000 posts, and/or is highly applauded. If any of those conditions apply, that pretty much is who I am referring to.

And yes, you ARE giving me a hard time, FF! lol. But that's ok, bring it!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm not discriminating. I stick my big mouth in wherever I can fit it!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   

That said, there are posters on ATS that I will not respond to under any circumstances and if they are active in a thread, chances are I won't post in it. Not a single one of them is a 'newbie' and my decision is based on past experiences with them (FlyersFan is not one of them
).

Duzey, I am floored at that coming from you! Jeez! Well I would guess I am not one of them either then! But even if I was, it wouldn't matter. Duzey, come ON. That ain't no way to be! But hey, at least you have the guts to come right out and admit it.

And it is to this very attitude that I appealed to push the reset button in the OP. The thread deals not only with the newer members, but I am also addressing this issue. It IS ATS segregation. That your desire to post in a thread be overridden by the fact that it is a certain member you don't like. That is a touchy button. But I'm pushing it. Let's talk about it people. Yes, even yous that won't post in my threads, for example.

In fact, I'll take this one step further. I challenge all of you to clear your ignores. Aha! Don't wanna go there? Are you happy to revel in your hatred of those people and perpetuate the feud? No second chance?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:12 AM
link   
yep you may have something there, i have been on ats on and off for a few years now, and i avoid threads on aliens these days, i read most of the stuff in the early days, but today i do not bother.

i know what you are saying, i select the threads i even read these days, where as before i may have read as many as i could. you just get to know what people are going to say or there abouts.

like how many of us read the new peoples threads where people are just saying hello for the first time, the thread will be like every other thread where someone says hello, and people here say welcome and hope you enjoy.

also even though i am interested in stuff like aliens, this is the reason i do not bother with those threads anymore, i have just read all the comments i think that people can come up with and we just go around and around.

i tend to only goto topical threads now, like the news headlines, or something on global climate change(but there seems to so many of these also now, that many just say the same things over and over)

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
I have seen the same old topics over and over and the new people, not aware of this history, post the same old threads that have been here for quite awhile.

These are my thoughts as well. In my experience I've found that after you have been on ATS for a year you begin to notice annual repetition with threads and develop a been there done that attitude.
Also today there are many more things to do on ATS other than posting on forums
These things may explain a perceived drop in "senior member" activity.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:41 AM
link   
I've seen this discussion on other sites. The fact of the matter is that everything is "new" to the people who look for it for the very first time. Some of what you guys are asking for can't be written in to the rules. it can, however, be demonstrated by example.

The new posters will eventually do most of what they see the more experienced members doing. There is a form of peer pressure at work when the majority write well and post links to other threads that relate to the subject of the moment. It's generally not talked about, but that's why you have all the HTML tools at your disposal. Keep track of you threads, and post those links when they apply.

ATS is like other sites in one repsect. It's many topics are supposed to be cross-linked. In this way, the new guys can get a full dose of what it is that YOU already know. They can also get the idea of "how things are done" in this part of the internet world. If they stay at it long enough, even they will come to know what you already know. The fact is that there will always be new members.

What you see before your eyes right now are the words that I typed in. Somebody will read this entry days or even years later. Knowing this, you should be able ot develope a thicker hide or some degree of objectivity. If you can take the time to be made at a string of words posted by somebody in another time zone whom you may never neet, you can spare a few seconds to realize that we're not all great communicators. If it tweaks you, don't do it.

You don't have to be nice. You don't have to be civil. You don't even have to be tolerant. You can , however, be mocked, lampooned, and made fun of for your lack of good behavior. You can also be shunned, ignored, or sought out for your guidance. On the internet, your keyboard is more powerful than a loaded gun...but...you can still shoot yourself in the foot if you've just gotta point down and pull da trigger.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:44 AM
link   

But hey, at least you have the guts to come right out and admit it.

I'm all about the honesty.

I have never used my ignore feature and I never will. To me, it defeats the purpose of the site. I can, however, understand why it might come in handy for a short cooling-down period.

There is only one person on here I won't deal with. I said a few because it might be obvious to some who I am talking about and I thought that would be a little unfair to that person. I don't think it's right to discuss someone in a thread they aren't participating in. This is based on repeated experiences with them and that person is not going to change. I don't expect them too and they shouldn't have to change their behaviour just because I don't like it. That's not fair to them. They have every right to post where and what they want to.

I didn't perpetuate a feud (not that there was one to begin with, just a clash of personality and posting style), I removed myself from a situation that was causing me displeasure. If I were to post in a topic where this member was active, I would look like a royal 'rhymes with witch' when I answered their post to me with a 'sorry, I'm not talking to you because I don't like your style'. I've done it before and it caused me great displeasure and another member used my statement as ammo against them. Then I felt guilty for saying anything in the first place.

So I just stay away and keep my mouth shut. It's the lesser of two evils.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by Duzey]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
sometimes the topic doesn't interest me, you'll never see me posting in the weaponry forum

sometimes I've already discussed, stated my opinion about it and nothing hasn't changed since.

sometimes I'm at a loss for words or an opinion.

But most on most occassions, by the time I've read all the posts in a thread, or caught up on the new posts in subscribed or favorite threads, or just read the opening posts of all the new threads, I don't have any time left to post.

As for the WOT forum, I'm just taking a break from posting there, my opinions haven't changed and the war hasn't changed significantly either. When something of importance happens, I tend to have an opinion but until then I'm spend my time reading in that forum.

oh and to answer your question about ATS segregating.... NO, I don't see it happening in that way, we're divided on opinions but not by age or membership length, I've been rather impressed lately with a few of new members posting styles and have let them known that.

[edit on 1-29-2007 by worldwatcher]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join