It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone Running Vista?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
secondly I myself like to ask a question.
if i install an upgrade version of vista I am needed to have
a fresh xp installation on it pre installed.
If i go and install can I later on use the xp software on another pc without getting in to problems with licences?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by chissler
It's a hardware malfunction.

I attempted to reformat on several occasions, but no luck. It won't accept the windows for some strange reason. The only thing I can fathom is that there is something screwy with the hardware itself.

With software, I can normally get to the bottom of things. But this one has plagued me. I've come to the conclusion that I am willing to chunk out a few bucks for it.

Thanks though.

Semper is correct Vista a hungry OS indeed. But this may not be a problem for you. Personally I prefer functionality so at home we run various xp's 32 / 64 for mum and dad and for the gateway I use debian for obvious reasons.

Although Vista will be used soon methinks I will switch when quad cores are affordable because I multitask quite a bit.

Do you have the hex code(s) for your error(s)? Any diagnostic messages for us? Problem can likely be found if you can give us info.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I've tried alpha's, beta's and the final v6000. It's become better but I still don't like it at all. In the beginning it felt cool with the new gui, preinstalled drivers for most hardware, new and fresh kernel and base system etc. Then you realise that most things included in Vista already exist in new GNU/Linux systems. It's to expensive, features like Windows Powershell and WinFS won't come until SP1, the 3d gui is really poor, the footprint on the harddrive is too big. The new features already exist in GNU/Linux (WinFS -> Beagle, Powershell -> Bash). Sometimes you are tempted of switching as some things just don't work under GNU/Linux or but I keep realizing that Vista is just another way of taking your freedom with DRM, NGSCB and TCG. The day I submit my first patch by looking through the source code of a piece of software I was using I realized just how powerful open source is. Future companies will live off support not the software itself. There are just too many benefits with open source.

Also, 64bit Vista needs signed drivers. This means that older amd64/ia64/em64 hardware might not work as drivers are missing. Though I must admit that Windows is a bit ahead in voice recognition etc but that's improving on GNU/Linux.

I found Vista really slow compared to Gentoo on my fastest box. Vista did also by some reason shut down my external eSATA drive which triggered a chain reaction that resulted in my water pump shutting down and the temperature rising fast. This has never happened on Gentoo. On Vista it has happened three times.

[edit on 2007-2-5 by bracke]

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkLuitzen
have you tried to download drivers for raid from your mobo manufacturer's site?

dlsvr01.asus.com...
Promise FastTrak 376 driver
try these.
found them on
support.asus.com...

I had not tried it because I do not need the RAID controler, but I tried the drivers you said (I already had them on my computer), and they installed without any problem, just with the warning about not being signed.

Thanks for the tip.

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by bracke
I've tried alpha's, beta's and the final v6000. It's become better but I still don't like it at all. In the beginning it felt cool with the new gui, preinstalled drivers for most hardware, new and fresh kernel and base system etc. Then you realise that most things included in Vista already exist in new GNU/Linux systems. It's to expensive, features like Windows Powershell and WinFS won't come until SP1, the 3d gui is really poor, the footprint on the harddrive is too big. The new features already exist in GNU/Linux (WinFS -> Beagle, Powershell -> Bash). Sometimes you are tempted of switching as some things just don't work under GNU/Linux or but I keep realizing that Vista is just another way of taking your freedom with DRM, NGSCB and TCG. The day I submit my first patch by looking through the source code of a piece of software I was using I realized just how powerful open source is. Future companies will live off support not the software itself. There are just too many benefits with open source.

Yeah, in my view GNU OS is ahead in most departments I just wish I had the knowledge to be a fully functional linux desktop user atm I use it for server/gateway/vpn. Open source is the bomb and I think it will really take on Micro$oft in years to come.

posted on Mar, 2 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by bracke
Vista did also by some reason shut down my external eSATA drive which triggered a chain reaction that resulted in my water pump shutting down and the temperature rising fast. This has never happened on Gentoo. On Vista it has happened three times.

It needs to have a button on the toolbar when it does things like that:

"Remotely punch Bill in the nose with large boxing glove" (accept) or (cancel)

posted on Mar, 27 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I wouldn't pay for a $400 dollar operating system, when Mac OS X Leopard is coming out at $129. Mac OS X is a DAMN good operating system.

I had XP.

Never again.

Never.

THR

posted on Mar, 28 2007 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Here's my thoughts on the matter.

Some while back, Microsoft was giving away thumb drives just to get people to take a test, the upshot of which was that the best way to get a copy of Windows was to buy a computer with it already installed.

Now they want everyone to go out and upgrade their computers and install Vista. Talk about a flip-flop.

My computer only requires a graphics card upgrade, but it's a little light on memory at 512k. That's not a very expensive proposition and I'd like to have a gig of memory anyway, but since everything is buzzing along nicely with XP, why should I bother?

PC Magazine has a nice suite of articles this month on this very subject and their position is that for most users, there's no good reason to upgrade hardware just to upgrade to Vista.

Part of the problem with the upgrade is that Vista is considered to be more evolutionary than revolutionary, so you aren't going to find that many changes in what Vista can do relative to what XP can do, but what you will find is that tasks that you could do with XP with your eyes closed will take some real getting used to because Vista changes are not so much in what can be done as with how those things are done.

I've been quick to download the XP service packs and all the updates when they are released, but Vista will just have to wait, because XP works for me.

When the HP starts heading south, then I'll start looking around for a new machine, which will, of course, have Vista installed.

[edit on 2007/3/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
I succesfully installed a USB scanner that had only XP drivers, an Epson Perfection 640U.

All my hardware is working, except the onboard RAID controler.

My computer has an Asus A7V8X motherboard.

I"m running Vista on a new Dell Dimension w/ duo core, 1Gig RAM, 300Gig HD, 2.13 GHz.

It's OK. I'm constantly at >60% RAM used. Had I known I'd have gotten 2Gig.

HW problem? Lexmark Z710 printer is not, and will not ever be supported. (Fort. was able to swap printers with a family member).

So far all other USB plugins work fine. iPOD is not currently recognized by a couple non-iTUNES programs

Agree on the eye-candy. Like the gadgets but are they really necessary? Are they an aid to productivity? Some might be. I love the FedEx package tracker Gadget, and a few others...

Don't like the 'Cancel or Allow' thing popping up. Anyone know how to control that, reduce it or eventually disable it?

Can't run VLC player under 'Aero'. (Video LAN guys are quite pissed about it).

YMMV.

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
PS All my Legacy apps are working, Agent, Office 2K, Trillian, PSP 5.0, etc.

[edit on 29-3-2007 by Badge01]

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I've ran the latest build and decided to upgrade to Home Premium once it came out, I'm not to impressed because, now Microsoft is already coming up with another new OS code named Vienna. They just can't focus on one system without already using there resources on its sucessor. Blip after blip. So now I'm running it and I've had to reinstall it a few times because, there is compatibility issues for my Xi-Fi Xtreme Music sound card and Microsoft Fingerprint reader... The OS has a lot of errors in it like the killer blue screen and "This copy is not genuine" pops up now and then.

Overall, 4.5/10

:shk:

/7A

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by 7Ayreon
I've ran the latest build and decided to upgrade to Home Premium once it came out, I'm not to impressed because, now Microsoft is already coming up with another new OS code named Vienna. They just can't focus on one system without already using there resources on its sucessor. Blip after blip. So now I'm running it and I've had to reinstall it a few times because, there is compatibility issues for my Xi-Fi Xtreme Music sound card and Microsoft Fingerprint reader... The OS has a lot of errors in it like the killer blue screen and "This copy is not genuine" pops up now and then.

Overall, 4.5/10

:shk:

/7A

Yes, it even crashes the Dell-bundled apps like Corel PSP. Wow, that's a faux pas. Plus, enabling the bundled Dell app McAfeeAV caused an additional firewall to be put up on top of Vistas and locked me out of the Internet! Ended up dumping McAfee...

posted on Mar, 29 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   

The OS has a lot of errors in it like the killer blue screen and "This copy is not genuine" pops up now and then.

I am still using Vista RC2 and the only error that I have found is when using Media Player at the same time as another program that makes a lot of disk accesses. In those conditions I had three or four blue screens since August.

The "This copy is not genuine" never happened to me.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 04:10 AM
link   
If you still have your XP disks, don't go to Vista yet.

You need some excessive hardware to run it... without any real reason for it needing all that power. It doesnt do anything that XP doesnt already do... sure some new programs are proprietary, and only run on vista... but thats just because the programmers were told to only code it for vista.

I would wait another year before going to Vista. Let the bugs get worked out of it first.

Quite frankly, I made the move to Linux a while back, and I wonder why I ever used windows in the first place. I've not only saved a fortune, but I've also made money by retrieving files for people off of hard drives with corrupted windows versions on them.

Anyhow, regarding the hardware problem, what was the message your computer gave you when you try to use it?

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
You need some excessive hardware to run it... without any real reason for it needing all that power.

I don't think an Athlon 1900+ with 512MB and a Geforce 2 MX400 is excessive hardware, and that is what I am using with Vista RC2.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

The OS has a lot of errors in it like the killer blue screen and "This copy is not genuine" pops up now and then.

I am still using Vista RC2 and the only error that I have found is when using Media Player at the same time as another program that makes a lot of disk accesses. In those conditions I had three or four blue screens since August.

The "This copy is not genuine" never happened to me.

Yeah, even when I close Media Player (or some other apps) a piece still seems to be running in memory. I wait for a suitable period, maybe 30 seconds and eventually have to kill it in Task Manager.

posted on Mar, 30 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Ah, yes I forgot to mention that I to had trouble with WMP in RC2. That bug is fixed for the final release, as far as I know of. The blue screen of death happens quite frequently in the full version and tends to make the computer restart several times until it finally dissapears. There seems to be a lot of stuff in the background sucking up memory as well. So I am definetely going to move back to XP and wait a year or so before upgrading, though vista does seem to have a future it isn't ready.

/7A

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Great thread! I hope Vista users keep popping in to share their experiences with the operating system.

I was recently thinking about a new machine, but after checking out Vista and the numerous issues (at least, to me they are issues) such as the possibility that a driver may not be available (or even become available) for some peripherals/apps etc., the huge amount of memory sucked up by Vista, the whole DRM issue and on and on, I decided to upgrade my graphics card (just to get rig of the itch to somehow, someway upgrade my pc) and wait to see how Vista fairs in the next few months.

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
My personal advice to any/all ... if you're looking to make the leap, get the full version ... NOT the upgrade.

I've had several laptops and towers come thru as a result of "users" buying the upgrade version, going home, and "popping the disc in" ... some did the compatibility check others didn't, though the end results proved quite similar ... drivers/software/restrictions

While I've played with several of the pre-release versions, to include the final Business release, I'll be sticking with XP Pro SP2 until such time that I'm forced to do otherwise.

At the end of the day, XP Pro does everything I need, to include simultaneous FTP connections, P-I-P TV, HTML text editor, many IE "tabs" [
ATS], burning CD/DVDs, video grabs and edits, etc... All or several at any given time.

IMO,
Vista seems more an effort to "control" than to "convey" ... take from that what you will, "users" and "accessibility" respectively.
go bill ..

* perhaps I'll reconsider after SP10 is released:bnghd:

posted on Apr, 5 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
How are you getting PIP-TV??

TELL ME

TELL ME

TELL ME!!!!

I have been using the ATI Wonder card and running my cable straight in bypassing the "Box." Of course this only gives me the first 60 channels and I hate not getting to watch Voyager.. But I have not discovered P.I.P. on my card anyway...

I don't use this as my video card in case that makes a difference...

My video card is the NVIDEO GEFORCE 6500

Semper

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join