It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The long emergency, I DONT BUY IT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I recently read the book, THE LONG EMERGENCY, by by James Howard Kunstler. I think the book is totally bogus in the respect that Mr Kunstler doesnt seem to think that any alternative energy can be developed before we essencially run out of oil. One word: BRAZIL. Not to mention that eventually bioengineering could create bacteria that can make fuel, it already happens when we make Alcohol. I wouldnt be suprised if a way could be developed to genetically engineer bacteria to make crude oil out of biomass. That isnt even taking into account solar energy, wind energy, and new technologies that Mr Kunstler or anyone else for that matter can envision. If space elevator technology is developed in the next century, it might even become possible to get hydrocarbons from other parts of the solar system and bring them to Earth in a cost effective fashion (not a good idea because of the resulting CO2 pollution!) An ideal solution for most of the worlds problems is the development of technologies that allow large numbers of people to live off the grid, ie personal energy independance. That technology could develop also over time, meaning less and less people are dependant on oil. If the average person reduced their energy usage by 20 percent, and this is possible with current technologies ( buying energy efficient appliances, driving a hybrid car, etc.) the total energy demand could be reduced significantly. I just dont buy the premise that we are doomed in the energy department.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Do not forget that authors are paid by the word.

It sounds like the book you read is about some kind of "oil crisis". I googled the title and did a check at amazon.com, cannot say for certain, but if it is anything like Twilight in the Desert, it is just another doom and gloom "we're all going to die so you might as well buy my book".

However, your ideas sound like they were fabricated by a sci-fi writer. There won't be any bioengineered bacteria to produce crude oil, or a space elevator to tap methane on Jupiter. The ideal solution, is to advance the technology and processes used to drill for oil.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
the the oil crisis is bogus, but what can the general public do, we do not control the prices they do. they can manipulate any story to generate profits.

they are also supposed to be finding many more deposits of oil. although as we all know the price of using there energy sources are going up.

i wonder is there a list somewhere of scientists that have worked on alternatives that have either been told to shut up, paid of, or killed

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
There are some folks who do live off the grid, at least as far as powering their homes with solar. We could use a combination of things.

Here is a link for plastic solar, can conver up to 30% of the suns energy to electricity.

play.tm...

Here is a link for super skinny solar cells.

www.abc.net.au...

Solar film link.

www.acfnewsource.org...

Troy

[edit on 9-2-2007 by cybertroy]

posted on Feb, 10 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
the the oil crisis is bogus, but what can the general public do, we do not control the prices they do. they can manipulate any story to generate profits.

they are also supposed to be finding many more deposits of oil. although as we all know the price of using there energy sources are going up.

i wonder is there a list somewhere of scientists that have worked on alternatives that have either been told to shut up, paid of, or killed

But what can we do??????

I often wondered what would happen if the a HUGE percentage of the US (or world) freaking REFUSED to buy gas for a week. Especially if that meant REFUSED to go to work. Sure alot of people would be threatened with their jobs, some would actually loose them. But a heck of a lot of business (especially oil) would loose a lot of money. A great way to use the power of "civil rest" so to speak.

Not likely to happen though.

How every oil prices is set primarily by supply and demand, no matter what the big oil people think.

new topics

top topics

join