It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

all top secret data is stored and transmitted on secret government internet

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I do have one question for Tom
. Is AboveTopSecret.com monitored?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tom Bedlam
Well, speaking of secret networks, there used to be some apparently unused area codes that dropped you into this toll-free Gubmint phone network.

Back in the olden days, you had a special 'yellow pages' with listings of all sorts of neat places. When you dialed a number with one of those area codes, you got a voice prompt for an ID number before you could proceed.

I'm not sure if that's still used. It's been a long long time.

This post sparked an old memory of a personal nature from the early 90's
Can you give me any info on who in the military would have had access to these codes?

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by brodband
I do have one question for Tom
. Is AboveTopSecret.com monitored?

I don't know. There are a lot of people monitoring a lot of things. There's a half-dozen data miners running, the T series from NSA, some forums are "specially monitored" by hand and there's a group of specially qualified surfers that comb over forums looking for particular things in their spare time. Actually that last finds a lot of stuff, and it's all volunteer so that program's a bargain for the gubmint.

I know that Daily Kos, Fark, one or two military forums (milcom and cp1 for sure) and a couple of the meatier aerospace forums are, because I've heard it discussed. Different groups look at different things, I'd suppose. It not being my job, I don't have much if any direct info.

I know from personal experience Fark is. (ow)

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Well possibly this could answer a few questions. This guy, Gary, hacked into Nasa, and some other official computers. Heres a site that tells his tale. I guess we might know a little better about where the Gov. stores their data.

freegary.org.uk...

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by CelticMist
This post sparked an old memory of a personal nature from the early 90's
Can you give me any info on who in the military would have had access to these codes?

When I used it, I was a kid working for the Corps of Engineers before I enlisted (I started early...at 16 I was working full time in the summers and part time during the school year on comm equipment).

The NCO I worked for had the book locked away, if you needed to get some info from a user that had sent in the equipment you got a card with the code numbers. I thought it was standard procedure but this particular place had a few twists that I didn't really understand until later.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLizardKing
Well possibly this could answer a few questions. This guy, Gary, hacked into Nasa, and some other official computers. Heres a site that tells his tale. I guess we might know a little better about where the Gov. stores their data.

freegary.org.uk...

That was a honey pot.

DOE runs some with nuclear bomb parts on it you can buy with a Visa.

posted on Feb, 15 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Keyhole

Originally posted by leaderoftheresitance1
I suspect that the government has its own private secure internet ...,

The question is how can we penitrate ti his system?

Why would you think anybody here would tell you how to "hack" into our governments "private secure internet".

Haven't you ever heard of how people have hacked into the governments
"private secure" system and and went to Federal prison. There are probably a lot more "Top Secret" info in that system besides the UFO info you are looking for and I'm sure the government won't take your "I'm only looking for UFO info" into account when they catch you and sentence you to Fedral prison.

I don't think you have to hack the guberments puters...........just steal their laptops like two teenagers did May 2006 from a VA officials home, then there was another VA security breach in Aug. 2006 and a current one they are investigating in Birmingham, AL. Millions of Veterans personal information was on these laptops and hard drive computers.

If you want security..........hire someone in the private sector to keep track of sensitve, highly classified material because they will be held to a higher level of accountability whereas the government will just try to cover up their screw ups.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
There is a network that connects various universities in Europe. It is a multigigabit connection. I suppose that there is something similar for american universities. Actually these connection are backbones and most ISP and governments have their own.

Hacking into a VPN is something quite hard. You only got a chance if you catch the initial handshake and are able to do a man in the middle attack on it. Most protocols warn you that something is going wrong, so I am certain it will not work on military networks. So the best way is to steal the encryption keys. Once that is done you are still stuck, because you don't want to trigger the network intrusion detection. You should dump the traffic to understand the protocols used. However as you are not an elite hacker I would really keep my hands off it. (Remember to hook up to the VPN from a network you don't normally use or you will regret it. )

Although there were some historic successes. I am not saying it is impossible, just that it isn't like in the movies. There is no prompt

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by krugger
There is a network that connects various universities in Europe. It is a multigigabit connection. I suppose that there is something similar for american universities. Actually these connection are backbones and most ISP and governments have their own.

That'll be GÉANT (and soon, GÉANT2)

Holland also has SurfNET which is multi-gigabit, and I think forms part of GÉANT.

The other one is the US Internet2/Abilene Network which does connect to GÉANT and SurfNET at multiple points

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jillian_Bacardi

Originally posted by Keyhole

Originally posted by leaderoftheresitance1
I suspect that the government has its own private secure internet ...,

The question is how can we penitrate ti his system?

Why would you think anybody here would tell you how to "hack" into our governments "private secure internet".

Haven't you ever heard of how people have hacked into the governments
"private secure" system and and went to Federal prison. There are probably a lot more "Top Secret" info in that system besides the UFO info you are looking for and I'm sure the government won't take your "I'm only looking for UFO info" into account when they catch you and sentence you to Fedral prison.

I don't think you have to hack the guberments puters...........just steal their laptops like two teenagers did May 2006 from a VA officials home, then there was another VA security breach in Aug. 2006 and a current one they are investigating in Birmingham, AL. Millions of Veterans personal information was on these laptops and hard drive computers.

If you want security..........hire someone in the private sector to keep track of sensitve, highly classified material because they will be held to a higher level of accountability whereas the government will just try to cover up their screw ups.

i lol but this is also sad. my dads social was on the list of data stolen that was on that laptop.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 01:40 AM
link   

At any rate, yes we have access to both, and no I won't give you anything off of them. You can get in trouble just asking someone to. Verbum Sapientum Satis

are you saying you have access to thies super top secret data banks? umm, may i ask how? and why you? and if this is true, and u could get in "trouble" for just asking, why are u flaunting that YOU can get access and your not sharing? sounds like a big load of u know what...

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RIP TORN

At any rate, yes we have access to both, and no I won't give you anything off of them. You can get in trouble just asking someone to. Verbum Sapientum Satis

are you saying you have access to thies super top secret data banks? umm, may i ask how? and why you? and if this is true, and u could get in "trouble" for just asking, why are u flaunting that YOU can get access and your not sharing? sounds like a big load of u know what...

Read the thread, all your questions are answered about 3 times.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   

There are a lot of people who by the vary nature of their jobs who have access to sensitive information. Thusfar, the nature of this sensitive info hasn't been discussed, nor has he discussed where he works or for whom.
What he has said is that whatever he does have access to, he won't share with anyone here.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Besides probably using special hardware dongles (oops did I say that?) they can never guard against a strong telepath. That would require field training each member in psychic countermeasures. Oh, nevermind, such abilities are a matter of fantasy.

Sol omnibus lucet

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I've gotta stick up for Tom here. I'm still in the SSO business, but from the contractor side of the house now. None of what he said is anywhere near dangerous, I wouldn't even consider it OPSEC. He's not giving out specifics or anything that's not already widely available via Wikipedia.

That said, the gist is this:

There are varying levels of secure networks that the government and industry use. There are global networks, like Nipr, Sipr, & JWICs, that connect diverse types of people such as DoD, contractors, and national agencies. There are also specific networks run by individual agencies and communities, some of which are local and others are nationwide. There are many that are run by contractors at various levels. If you have a facility that is accredited to store and process a certain level of information, then you can usually get access to the appropriate network. My facility has everything from unclassified to SCI and SAP networks in various areas. Plenty of facilities located outside the US also access these networks so long as they have the necessary equipment and passwords to do so.

As for those wishing to hack in, my guess is that it's just about impossible. Although many of these networks use the WWW as a backbone, there are encryptors on each end. Those encryptors keep out anyone trying to hack in and the keys are strictly controlled and changed often.

As for some people thinking that it's like the movie "Hackers" where some guy is monitoring the network for unauthorized access, that's not really happening. Most of these networks are so large that no one could physically monitor all of the connections and filter out unauthorized computers. Those tasks are handled by firewalls and IDSs.

There is a lot of information out there on these nets, but like someone else said, most of the really sensitive stuff is behind password protected servers. If you have a need for access, you have to contact the information owner and request an account.

posted on Feb, 22 2007 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja

There are a lot of people who by the vary nature of their jobs who have access to sensitive information. Thusfar, the nature of this sensitive info hasn't been discussed, nor has he discussed where he works or for whom.
What he has said is that whatever he does have access to, he won't share with anyone here.

And mostly just because I was afraid the OP was going to set himself up for a soliciting charge. I have deflected people on ATS once or twice from what IMO was blatant solicitation, just because I have personally seen people get in trouble for it, with a comment not much different than the OP's.

I don't know why that p---ses off the PTB so badly, but it does. A number of guys got the big visit in the last two or three months for posting much LESS blatant solicitations on military.com. Granted, milcom lends itself to having a lot more likelihood to hit fishing expedition paydirt, but then again I'd bet the three amigos could tell you that ATS has other users whose IPs track back to the State Dept, LM, Sandia and so on, so it's not exactly barren earth here either.

Whoever it was (I'd guess DISA or DIA) got tired of seeing it at milcom and had the feebs haul some folks in for an interrogation. The forum administrators crack down on it a lot faster now.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 01:17 AM
link   
hackers was a great movie

HACK THE GIBSON!
zero cool

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
What keeps the general public from gaining access to sensitive data, is really a number of things. and to start off with, I don't consider the VA data sensitive data. I mean it is, if it happens to YOU, but although the government would say in a press conference they are very concerned and it's important, it's actually very low on the priority pole. Sure the individual office is concerned, and the VA is concerned, but on a whole, not very important.

So here is why you don't see sensitive data in the hands of the public very often.

First off, 90% of government employees(of course thats rough, I have no idea what the ACTUAL number would be) never have access to sensitive data. Again, tax records, SS#'s, etc, are not sensitive data, they are to the general public, but not in the grand scheme of things.

Of the 10% that DO have access to sensitive data, 9.9% of them really wouldn't even know the value of it, or really whatthey are looking at. Meaning that, their job is so compartmentalized, and such a small part of a whole, that they really don't know what they are looking at. And even if they DID know what they were looking at, they wouldn't be able to move it, thats why you get lots of supposed first hand accounts, but never any hard evidence, they have no way to get it out of the building.

Of the remaining group, that very small group of people with access to sensitive data, and know what it is, and would be able to provide proof, they would be very hard to get to. Not because they are necessarily noble individuals, but it would be extremely hard for them to get away with.

Of course, it does happen, but it doesn't happen because bob the FBI agent is getting data for billy his UFO enthusiast neighbor. And it doesn't happen because some group of conspiracy theorists is paying some guy on the inside, or an elite hacker has gotten access.

The leaks happen due to greed, but from people who are willing to sell to people that know what data they want, and who has access to that data. This kind of stuff does not happen in the civilian arena. Therefore the people who aquire the data have zero incentive to release the data to the general public.

And I know Tom Bedlam posted in another thread, and some have questioned him in this thread as to his legitimacy.

What he states for the most part is true, or I should say, what he states that I am firmiliar with is true, so I would have to take his word on the rest.

If so, I would hope he is staying anonymous. If not, he must be an untouchable. But even that has a limit, so if you think Tom is gonna really spill the beans to everyone, think again. If a day comes that Tom is laying on his deathbed, has no family, no friends, no next of kin, nothing, then he might come on and make a post, but otherwise.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I just thought of a better way to illustrate how someone could be looking at the data, and not even realize what they are looking at.

Lets say my username was actually my credit card number, expiration date, and that 3 digit number on the back.

It's pretty good odds, that no one would ever see this long string of numbers as my credit card, expiration date, and 3 digit number.

And even at that, they wouldn't know my real name to necessarily put it to use.

So not only do you need to know what you are looking at, and HOW to look at it, you also have to know a little extra supporting information so that you know how to apply it.

posted on Feb, 23 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
If one has someone's SSN, standard name line, and some other personal info, the risk of identity theft is much higher, which is where the sensitivity of this info comes into play. Someone could get credit cards, fabricate IDs, etc.. and cause all sorts of mischief, before being found out.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join