It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When will Goldwater Conservatives stand up ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
When are Goldwater like minded Conservatives to stand up and reclaim the Republican party in the name of reality and common sense ?

Heres some info so you can see what I'm getting at.

Goldwater's libertarian views on personal issues were revealed, which he believed were an integral part of true conservativism. Goldwater viewed abortion as a matter of personal choice, not intended for government intervention. He did not believe that abortion was murder if the baby had not taken the breath of life

When you say “radical right” today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye

You don't have to be straight to be in the military; you just have to be able to shoot straight.”

Link

Is it only a matter of time before the Republican party is reclaimed by the real or true Conservatives ?
Or has the Republican party sealed its own fate as the Conservative party of the USA ?
Today Goldwater would be a Conservative Democratic . If you continue with this logic elements of the Democratic party would be more Conservative then the Republican party.

One thing is for sure action rather then just lip service is required.
Goldwater Conservatives appear to have the following choices.

Run under and vote for the Democratic party and attempted to create a new Republican party.
Vote for the Libertarian party . This option may not appeal to people who don't object to Welfare being given to those in genuine need and just want to live there life how they want to.
Reclaim the Republican party from the religious nuts. This option would be the most difficult because if your not one of those nut cases you will get labeled a Liberal commie.

Get rid of the religious nut cases that call themselves Conservatives and create a party that stands for less government intrusion in peoples lives makes health care and education accessible without being free and not entirely government run and you have a respectable political party.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   
It is incorrect to intone that the Democratic Party is taking over the center. It may be true that many in the Republican Party have been moving to the right, especially on social issues, but the Democratic Party has been increasingly been taken over by the left just as much if not more so.

I personally am a Libertarian at heart and would love the opportunity to cast a vote for a Libertarian candidate for President that had a chance of actually winning. If the country looks to the Democratic Party for relief from their problems with the Republicans, I think they'll find the cure is worse than the illness. Perhaps it is time for a third party such as the Libertarians to come to fruition...but i'm not holding my breath.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Djohsto77 thanks for the reply.

Originally posted by djohnsto77
but the Democratic Party has been increasingly been taken over by the left just as much if not more so.

Gee it almost must suck to be a moderate supporter of either party or a swing voter. The Dems may have to fight there own battle but thats a topic for another thread.

, I think they'll find the cure is worse than the illness. Perhaps it is time for a third party such as the Libertarians to come to fruition...but i'm not holding my breath.

Interesting point about the cure being worse then the illness. Despite everything there are still some openly gay Republican supporters , members and the closet ones that have been discussed elsewhere.

As for the Libertarian party maybe they should start at the local government level after all thats were responsible government starts. By local government I mean city , regional councils or the American equivalent.

When you climb a flight of stairs you always have to start at the bottom and work your way to the top.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Perhaps it is time for a third party such as the Libertarians to come to fruition...but i'm not holding my breath.

No perhaps doesn't cut it. It IS the time for a third party to take stage.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 08:21 PM
link   
There is a Libertarian running as a Republican by the name of Ron Paul. Other than that, there aren't really any Goldwater Conservatives left.

posted on May, 12 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It is incorrect to intone that the Democratic Party is taking over the center. It may be true that many in the Republican Party have been moving to the right, especially on social issues, but the Democratic Party has been increasingly been taken over by the left just as much if not more so.

That's so artifical divide thinking. Dems own the center and always have. They are America. Any evidence to the contrary is makeshift corporate marketing. You'd have to watch Fox News and see them throw up Cindy Sheehan as "speaker for all dems" to think otherwise.

There's about 3,000 miles between Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi and all that terrain is full of dems against abortion, gay marriage, and as pro-Jesus as the next guy.

posted on May, 13 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

On March 20, Ron Paul signed the American Freedom Agenda Pledge.[13] [14] He is the first and, as of yet, the only presidential candidate to have done so. On March 29, Ron Paul was in Arizona,[15] where he received the endorsement of Barry Goldwater, Jr., the torchbearer of the Goldwater Conservative movement which helped bring the immensely popular Ronald Reagan to the White House. On April 11, Ron Paul was in Iowa.[16] On April 23, 2007, Paul appeared on Lou Dobbs Tonight to talk about free trade for two minutes, followed by Q&A. [1]

He already has.
Now it's up to us to make sure he gets noticed.

posted on May, 15 2007 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Johnmike
en.wikipedia.org...

On March 29, Ron Paul was in Arizona,[15] where he received the endorsement of Barry Goldwater, Jr., the torchbearer of the Goldwater Conservative movement which helped bring the immensely popular Ronald Reagan to the White House. [1]

I have always loved Barry Goldwater, even before he ran for president. I loved his honesty, his forthrightness, his earthiness, his integrity and his Libertarian views. He represented the best of the Republican party, IMHO. We need more candidates like him. He would be appalled at the state of affairs we're in today.

I do not agree, however, that he actually helped Reagan win the presidency; it's more like Reagan admired him and rode his coattails into victory. At least, that's what I remember.
But Goldwater HATED the religious extremists and that's what turned the tide for Reagan, so he could win the presidency. Goldwater didn't like what happened to the Republican party in the 1980's, under Reagan, because he felt that the govt wasn't abiding enough by the separation of church and state that is described in the Constitution.
He was a strict Constitutionalist, and I think that is a good thing.

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Oh, looky. A Goldwater Conservative did stand up for President!

new topics

top topics

join