It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Eliminate the World of Militaristic and Terroristic Violence

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul

Originally posted by GreatTech
Any good solutions to militaristic and terroristic violence?

i already said
attack the root causes
poverty
ignorance
political inequity
etc

Excellent earthly suggestions. However, the Power of Spirituality enables a person to suffer through poverty, ignorance, and political inequity in a peaceful manner. The Power of Spirituality enables a person to suffer through any of life's greatest hardships in a peaceful manner.

Love and Peace!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Excellent earthly suggestions. However, the Power of Spirituality enables a person to suffer through poverty, ignorance, and political inequity in a peaceful manner. The Power of Spirituality enables a person to suffer through any of life's greatest hardships in a peaceful manner.

nice statements
but they only make sense in theory
in practice, spirituality only seems to inflame hatred, bigotry, and violence

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I had great intentions for this thread but it has failed miserably.

I wouldn't say that it failed. Actually, I think it accomplished quite the contrary. The original point was taken in and then rejected or affirmed; a few replies with rejection does not signify a failed post.

I have noticed that opposers to my best route for eliminating militaristic and terroristic violence do not offer alternative routes.

When was an alternate route asked for. You put out a notion which your 'opposers' rejected.

I consider militaristic and terroristic violence to be extremely serious problems and I would be open to all best, great, and good solutions. These problems should not be covered up otherwise they will perpetuate.

These issues are not ones which can be fixed by pushing religious beliefs onto a peoples who do not wish to receive them. In fact, some (not all and most likely not the majority) terroristic and militaristic violence stems from such a problem.

I do not see how these two problems are being covered up and I, as stated before, do not see how 'spreading' a certain religious belief is an appropriate or efficient deterrent.

Any good solutions to militaristic and terroristic violence?

Much like madnessinmysoul said: I feel that the root factors must first be addressed.

Wherever there is political, religious or economic oppression there will be a desire to throw that oppression off of people’s shoulders. In most cases diplomacy does not work, and so violence is the only other option in the minds of those who desire change.

And now, a question for you GreatTech:

Since a major cause of aggression seems to stem from peoples who are religiously oppressed wouldn't you think that by pushing your religious beliefs on a peoples you would only be helping to exacerbate the issue?

[edit on 1/29/0707 by spines]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Never has spirituality fed those who were in need of food. Never has it given insight to those who are ignorant. And never has it amended political injustice for those who were persecuted.

It really does sadden me to say that earthly suggestions and actions are the only things which can and possibly will fix these problems -although we should not hold our breath.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   

The Power of Spirituality enables a person to suffer through any of life's greatest hardships in a peaceful manner.

Love and Peace!!!

So true. But remember why they are suffering--could they be suffering because someone else is not acting Spiritually?

Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
in practice, spirituality only seems to inflame hatred, bigotry, and violence

Religion (which is a human creation--one "God", many men--as I put it) certainly can do this. Spirituality is what religions should be teaching; hatred, bigotry, and violence have no place in Spirituality.

Originally posted by spines
Wherever there is political, religious or economic oppression there will be a desire to throw that oppression off of people’s shoulders. In most cases diplomacy does not work, and so violence is the only other option in the minds of those who desire change.

Hmmmm, sounds like the American Revolution.
There are countless other instances when a group is oppressed. Humanity must look to practitioners of non-violence as exemplars to address this--
Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez come to mind.

Never has spirituality fed those who were in need of food. Never has it given insight to those who are ignorant. And never has it amended political injustice for those who were persecuted.

It really does sadden me to say that earthly suggestions and actions are the only things which can and possibly will fix these problems -although we should not hold our breath.

I do see some churches feeding the hungry and clothing those who lack adequate apparel, also helping to find shelter for those who are homeless. There are church groups that address political injustice. Great insights can come through a church member.
Churches that don't follow Matthew 25:31-40, for example, fall short.

Earthly suggestions and actions are the only things that can help. We are all together in thie World, and we must work with each other in this World.
It is what we do in this Life, how we have loved one another, that gives meaning to this World.

Remember, Life does not end when an individual dies. Life goes on in this World. Life goes on. The river continues to flow. How have you helped?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:23 PM
link   
"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God." Matthew 5:9

If your intent is peace, God recognizes it, and rewards you for the full extent of your peacefulness.

If your intent is violence, God recognizes it, and punishes you for the full extent of your violence.

Love and Peace!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by desert

Hmmmm, sounds like the American Revolution.
There are countless other instances when a group is oppressed. Humanity must look to practitioners of non-violence as exemplars to address this--
Ghandi, Martin Luther King, Cesar Chavez come to mind.

And unfortunatly non-violant action does not work in all instances. Non-violant action has the unigue misfortune of only working when all the conditions are just right.

I am in no way supporting violant uprising as the first resort. I am simply stating that non-violance and diplomacy rarely works and violance is often the last choice/stand. For every Ghandi, King or Chavez there are hundreds of native american tribes, Darfurs, Tibets (a non-violant tradition being taken advantage of by more violant leaders), etc...

Originally posted by desert

Never has spirituality fed those who were in need of food. [...] It really does sadden me to say that earthly suggestions and actions are the only things which can and possibly will fix these problems -although we should not hold our breath.

I do see some churches feeding the hungry and clothing those who lack adequate apparel, also helping to find shelter for those who are homeless. There are church groups that address political injustice. Great insights can come through a church member.
Churches that don't follow Matthew 25:31-40, for example, fall short.

Yet this is not spirituality doing any of this. The actions of a few people who feel motivated feeds and clothes some...spirituality itself has never helped a single man with the physical requirements needed to sustain life.

I can not count on spirituality to give me sustenance; waiting for it to deliver will only kill me. True, spirituality may help the mind of the suffering but the physical body will die among the plenty.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
This is the time to pray for enemies.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by clearwater
This is the time to pray for enemies.

simply praying won't help
praying doesn't solve anything
i'm sure every person of the roma and hebrew faith prayed for an end to the holocaust
6 million jews
2 million roma
dead

see, didn't solve anything

what we need are the apparently inferior "earthly" suggestions to be put in place

top topics

<< 1   >>

join