It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israeli Government Approves Majadele As Country's First Muslim Cabinet Member

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
On Sunday, Israel's first Muslim cabinet member was approved. He was appointed to represent the country's Muslim residents, which make up about 20% of the total population. Final confirmation will take place Monday.

www.msnbc.msn.com
JERUSALEM - The Israeli government on Sunday approved the appointment of the country’s first Muslim Cabinet member, Prime Minister Ehud Olmert’s office said.

The appointment of Raleb Majadele as a minister without portfolio is expected to go before parliament for final confirmation on Monday.

Majadele, a parliamentary backbencher, says his appointment is meant to give representation to Israel’s Arabs, who make up about 20 percent of the country’s 7 million citizens. He has predicted that in future, every Israeli government will be obliged to include an Arab minister.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is a step in the right direction for Israel. I believe that allowing the Muslim population to have appropriate representation in the government will be beneficial to the country, as a whole, over a period of time.

[edit on 1/28/2007 by JBurns]

[edit on 29-1-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Normally it would be considered something good but this man was appointed to the position as a Minister without Portfolio, which I believe means its just a title and he has no real tasks to perform. IMHO its nothing more then window dressing in an effort to confront criticism from former President Jimmy Carters book.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I wonder how this will play with the Israeli government's notion of being a "Jewish State." I'm going to research more into this guy, but my guess is that he is Jewish by race, but a Muslim by faith.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJmessiah
I wonder how this will play with the Israeli government's notion of being a "Jewish State." I'm going to research more into this guy, but my guess is that he is Jewish by race, but a Muslim by faith.

DJ
Most definitly he is an Arab-Israeli of the islamic faith. MK Tartman raised holy hell with his appointment. Lieberman was also not too fond of the idea. I posted an article about it on the 11th of this month when he was first appointed in "Problems With The Middle East" discussion.

www.abovepolitics.com...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well PieMan has the Palestinian government ever install an Israeli-Jew into their cabinet?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Membership in the Knesset itself is open to any citizen of israel, whether they are arab, european, jew, muslim, druze, etc. Thats been going on for a while.

thepieman
governments exist to provide stability. That is the original plan of governments.

They can't really have a 'minister of muslims' can they? So it'd have to be a 'special' position no? And from that position he can make statements and try to influence policy. That will determine his usefullyness in the end.

Well PieMan has the Palestinian government ever install an Israeli-Jew into their cabinet?

What isaeli-jews live in the occupied territories and are citizens of occupied palestine???? None.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Retinoid
I believe he is the first Arab-Israeli to be appointed as a minister. I doubt they would react in such a way if he was a second.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
How was he even able to run for the position, if the Israeli government gives the "citizenship" title only for Israeli-Jews?

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:44 AM
link   
There are Arabs there that are Israeli citizens. Its just taken 60 some-odd years for any one of them to be appointed to a ministerial position. There are several Arabs that are part of the knesset

new topics

top topics

join