It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How does video google make money?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Perhaps this isnt worthy of a thread but I was just watching some videos from videogoogle.com and was wondering how they do it?
ATS sells advertising space to help pay for the bandwidth.
Google does too.
What about videogoogle? I dont see any adverts or commercials there.
How can they afford to do this? Doesnt video consume vast amounts of bandwidth?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Google sells downloads, not to mention they're worth a lot to begin with.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by sky1
Google sells downloads, not to mention they're worth a lot to begin with.

What do you mean sells downloads?
I have downloaded hours and hours of stuff from videogoogle and never spent a dime or seen a commercial or add.
I know they are big and rich, but this seems like a money pit to me, with my limited understanding of Internet.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Google is now testing ads on some of its videos.
Once they decide on the ad placement the spots will go out to the highest bidder.
Supposedly the revenue of the ads will be split between the uploader and Google. Plus when you sell a video on the site they take care of all the payment issues, with their own cut of course.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Yeah, Ive heard that Youtube is playing with this idea as well. They will put ads at the start of videos, and part of the revenue they make will be given to the person who posted that video, as long as they own the full copyright, i.e. filmed it or legally own it. Sounds like a good idea if you want to make a cent or two, but not so good for us humble folk that don't own video recorders . . .

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Youtube is owned by google, and from what i've seen lately google video is now mostly just a service for indexing youtube videos on top of their download sales.

Google Video has loads of free content that you could spend hours and hours watching for free without seeing an ad if watching poor quality user made content or z-grade documentaries (there are a few gems though like the occasional twilight zone episode
) but google video also offers many video downloads for sale, access to episodes from tv shows and movies for a few dollars each etc.

Google also make a lot of money from their ad services and i'm sure there is a lot more too it and that they have learned a lot from the dot com bubble where a lot of businesses failed because they based their entire business model on internet advertising (which just doesnt work). Also google have made a lot of smart aquisitions as well as benefiting from floating on the stock market, which (a subject i know nothing about) raised several billion dollars for the company.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Google sells some of their videos...Some of it is free,not all.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I've noticed Google video is still beta, go to video.google.com and you can see the beta under the google logo at top left. Since it's still beta it might not make any money just yet

top topics

join