It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Successful Black Prejudice

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I wonder if Will and Jada Smith are still black...

I saw a TV interview with him a few weeks ago. He said that while he was in school he did well academically. So well, that the other black kids gave him a hard time and said he wasn't really black. So he had to tone down his academic achievements so that he wouldn't be harrassed by the black students.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:07 AM
link   
Obviously it's not a nice thing to call someone an oreo.

The sad truth is it's not only the black community that does this. Oriental people get called bananas and Latinos, Filipinos and Indians get called coconuts by their peers.

Are black people the only ones that get publicized when using these kinds of derogatory names? I hear banana and coconut used way more than I've ever heard oreo used, but I live in a different country than y'all (I've always wanted to say y'all in a post
).

[edit on 29-1-2007 by Duzey]

df1

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
he had to tone down his academic achievements so that he wouldn't be harrassed by the black students.

Sorry to interrupt ya'lls klan meeting.

I just wanted take the time to point out that smart white, brown and yellow kids get harassed by their peers also, hence the terms nerd, geek and the like. This doesn't seem like a black issue to me.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
What Color Pickup Truck Do You Drive?
Sorry to interrupt ya'lls klan meeting.

Actually, you should be sorry for making a stupid and rude comment like that. :shk:

BH asked about Will Smith and if he was still considered black by the black community. I saw an interview with him on TV a few weeks back and I posted what HE said on the interview.

You don't like what he said? Take it up with Will Smith.

Originally posted by Duzey
bananas .... coconuts

I have never heard of those Duzey.

[edit on 1/29/2007 by FlyersFan]

df1

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Actually, you should be sorry for making a stupid and rude comment like that.

I was always taught that if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck that you are most likely dealing with a duck. What do you think I should conclude about a bunch of white folks sitting around chatting about what's wrong with black folks?

[edit on 29-1-2007 by df1]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
Why is it that Successful Black's that support a Conservative or Republican agenda, routinely beleaguered by members of their own race as "sell outs", "Uncle Tom's" and even "Oreo's"?

The same reason that gay people would regard Conservative gays as 'sell-outs': For the last 40 years or so, the Republican party has billed itself as anti-black and anti-gay.

edit to add: Sorry, BH, I didn't see you there.

Originally posted by BenevolentHeretic
It's like black isn't a race anymore, it's a culture or political stance.

The same thing happened to Judaism, originally a religion, now a race, a nationality and, I think, a political stance.

I would have to agree, though I think it's more political when it comes to which public figure is considered an 'oreo' or not.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by HarlemHottie]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
I was always taught that if it looks like a duck and smells like a duck that you are most likely dealing with a duck.

Problem is that no one looks like the duck or smells like the duck. You need glasses and a nose job if you think anyone on this thread does.

What do you think I should conclude ...

That people are trying to figure out why successful black Americans are sometimes disparaged by people of the same ethnicity.

There were plenty of people posting and yet you decided to slam ME for posting a quote from Will Smith. Seriously .. if you have a problem with what Will Smith said .. take it up with HIM. Your comment towards me was totally out of line.

(and I drive a Honda, not a pick up truck :shk: )

If you had just posted this, and refrained from the out-of-place personal attack upon me, you would have actually made a comment that possibly had merit and was worthy of further discussion.

I just wanted take the time to point out that smart white, brown and yellow kids get harassed by their peers also, hence the terms nerd, geek and the like. This doesn't seem like a black issue to me.

[edit on 1/29/2007 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
What do you think I should conclude about a bunch of white folks sitting around chatting about what's wrong with black folks?

A question is put forth by white people with true curiosity is nowhere NEAR a bunch of white folks sitting around chatting about what's wrong with black folks. The first word in the thread is Why READ without prejudice.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my participation here was totally out of curiosity and in an attempt to understand those of another race better. I have been told time and time again by people of the black race that I don't understand them. So I'm asking.
I don't need you to chastise me about my curiosity and desire to open up to another race. OK?

Originally posted by ceci2006
The sad part about this thread is that you all use such a question to evaluate the entire 12 per-cent of Black people in the country.

Another one who reads with prejudice. Read the original post again. You missed some important words.

Why is it that Successful Black's that support a Conservative or Republican agenda, routinely beleaguered by members of their own race

Routinely. Not always, not by all blacks, just that he notices a "routine".

And is it too much to ask that you give your opinion on the original question of the thread? To answer why YOU (just as a person with an opinion) think this phenomonon of "Successful Black Prejudice" exists? Or if you don't, say so? Instead of attempting to derail and ruin the thread?

Do you think you (as a black person) could attempt to answer some of the white folks questions or give some insight into the possible reasons behind what we're seeing -- instead of attacking thread, the OP and other posters right off the bat???

There are TONS of questions in this thread that you have the opportunity to answer, but instead you deflect and criticize.

What is this about??? Do you call these contributory posts? What are you trying to instigate here?

Why do you care? How does someone being called an "Uncle Tom" or an "Oreo" affect your life?

You must have some invested interest in the terms "Uncle Tom" or "Oreo". Otherwise, why even bother?

However, I am more interested in someone answering whether they truly adopt the notion that all Black folk think alike and why they think so. That would get to the crux of the matter right away.

Who said this? Who indicated this? That's coming from YOUR head, not ours. Nobody has even indicated that black people all think alike. That's stupid!

Originally posted by Duzey
Oriental people get called bananas and Latinos, Filipinos and Indians get called coconuts by their peers.

Wow, I never heard of those either. Not once. It must be that the black derogatory names are accented here in the states... Or else it's the famous black people (like 50 cent) who gets in the news. I can't see Jennifer Lopez calling someone a "coconut".

Originally posted by HarlemHottie
The same thing happened to Judaism, originally a religion, now a race, a nationality and, I think, a political stance.

I still consider Judaism a religion...
I think someone who considers it anything else doing so out of convenience. There are Jews of every race and nationality and I think it's an insult to try to 'group' them by politics, too.

Tell me, if black is considered a political stance (by blacks) is white also? Because that would explain a lot.

FWIW, I don't consider Jew or black or white a political stance or even a culture. Each religion and race is full of variety.

df1

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Your comment towards me.

My comment was intended for the group which has gathered here and they were directed specifically at ya'lls meeting. Perhaps your complaint would have some merit had I referred to you as "the grand dragon", but I never did so.

How can you people have a legitimate discussion about black folks without any black folks?

My point is made... I'm done here.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
my answer to any questions about why blacks would disperage one of their own for joining the republicans is:

wouldn't the jews do the same to someone who joined the nazi party?

and yes, i'm well aware that i have godwin'd the thread
Godwin's law
"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

though it's an extreme comparison
it is quite valid

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Im sitting right on the line in CT with Yale to my right and some of the most trigger happy ghettos to my left. I have a few local teacher friends and they assure me this problem runs deep and wide. Apparently the children who do their homework and actually show up for school get routinely assaulted by the "thugs" of the neighborhoods.

It must be fueled by the same auto-segregation that created a black caucus in Congress.

The kids dont want their peers to de-segregate. It would ruin all the perks of being a minority or having that "race-card" to whip out.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
How can you people have a legitimate discussion about black folks without any black folks?

I suppose that would be a valid observation if it were correct. Ceci and HH are both black.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by df1
Perhaps your complaint would have some merit

My complaint has plenty of merit.

You Don't Like Being Stereotyped? Neither Do Black Folks

And where is the black stereotyping? All I see is someone who asked a question about 'why does this happen'. AND IT DOES HAPPEN.

And as far as 'no black folks around' ... Ceci, HarlemHottie and you make three black folks. I'm not sure of the races of the others involved in this thread.

10 probable non-black people and 3 probable black people (so far).
30% black.

So much for your 'without any black people' comment ...

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Why is it that Successful Black's ... "sell outs", "Uncle Tom's" and even "Oreo's"?

ON TOPIC -

Perhaps the people who do that are actually anti-white racists and that they are jealous of the people who are successful and therefore call them the lowest name they can think of ... white.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I still consider Judaism a religion...

My use of the word 'originally' does not imply 'no longer.'

There are Jews of every race

Who said anything about their race?

Tell me, if black is considered a political stance (by blacks) is white also?

Off topic, as is the rest of this post (my apologies, semper, and hi, btw), but, in the case of some of our Southern candidates, maybe. I hadn't given it any thought.

On topic:

Perhaps the people who do that are actually anti-white racists and that they are jealous of the people who are successful and therefore call them the lowest name they can think of ... white.

As a black person, one who almost became a linguist, let me just say, I doubt it.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
This isn't really a thread to find out how black people think about other black people. It's just a thinly disguised forum to bash "Libs" reguardless of their color.

Textbook Rush, straight out of the Limbaugh Letter.

Schools out.........crybabies

[edit on 29-1-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
This isn't really a thread to find out how black people think about other black people. It's just a thinly disguised forum to bash "Libs" reguardless of their color.

So you dont see a problem with kids getting beaten up for doing their homework, aspiring to high ed, seeking gainful employment, speaking clearly?

As long as they pull the lever marked D?

This is a huge cultural problem that if it persists will only further divide the country along racial lines. Bur I guess as long as all the minorities ban together to vote the D its all good.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

So you dont see a problem with kids getting beaten up for doing their homework, aspiring to high ed, seeking gainful employment, speaking clearly?

As long as they pull the lever marked D?

This is a huge cultural problem that if it persists will only further divide the country along racial lines. Bur I guess as long as all the minorities ban together to vote the D its all good.

Don't put words in my mouth!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally quoted by Benevolent Heretic

Another one who reads with prejudice. Read the original post again. You missed some important words.

What did you mean by this? Can I not make an opinion about this or not without your commentary?

Who said this? Who indicated this?

Why are you so paranoid? I was just giving my opinion.

That's coming from YOUR head, not ours.

I was only discussing my critical take on this issue. And I was curious whether others felt that "all Black people thought alike". There are always these statements about "Why do Black people...." in a lot of threads. And then, there are these posters who presume to think what Blacks do as a collective. That's why I wanted someone to answer whether they would perceive this is so.

I'm so sorry that you were so unduly affected by my words.

After all, it is always good to ask to see what the motivations of persons who post threads like these. There's usually some sort of thought-process behind this constant repetition of stereotypes about Black people on this board. This thread, btw, is not immune.

Nobody has even indicated that black people all think alike. That's stupid!

Whenever a thread like this comes up, there are always others who break out and start to pontificate about Black people and "what they do" without perceiving that Blacks are individuals. The sorry state of affairs is that people are too quick to judge what Blacks do and even "speak for them" (and that means you) without even considering that Black people have their own mind and thoughts.

And since you put it out there, I must say there are a lot of stupid things you say repeatedly. However, for the sake of "courtesy being manditory", I am taking the high road instead of indicating them. If you really want to be known as a tolerant person, I suggest you do the same.

-----------

And thanks, whaaa, for saying what needs to be said about this thread.

[edit on 29-1-2007 by ceci2006]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Whered I stick them?

Or is your post a "thinly disguised" attack on non "Libs?"

You just completely bypassed the origonal topic to get in a cheap shot.
Based on that and the wording of your post Id have to conclude that the topic doesnt mean anything more to you than "Lib" votes.

Im going to stop now. This is all off topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join