It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

March On Washington D.C. With Celebrities

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
The people of the United States marched on Washington D.C. with a few celebrites to tell their politicians they have finally had enough of the War in Iraq. Jane Fonda, previosuly smeared by the name of "Hanoi Jane" in the Vietnam War for her stand on the conflict that caused a major controversy over three decades ago was among the celebrities who stood with the people

apnews.myway.com
By CALVIN WOODWARD and LARRY MARGASAK

WASHINGTON (AP) - Convinced this is their moment, tens of thousands marched Saturday in an anti-war demonstration linking military families, ordinary people and an icon of the Vietnam protest movement in a spirited call to get out of Iraq. Celebrities, a half-dozen lawmakers and protesters from distant states rallied in the capital under a sunny sky, seizing an opportunity to press their cause with a Congress restive on the war and a country that has turned against the conflict. Marching with them was Jane Fonda, in what she said was her first anti-war demonstration in 34 years.

"Silence is no longer an option," Fonda said to cheers from the stage on the National Mall. The actress once derided as "Hanoi Jane" by conservatives for her stance on Vietnam said she had held back from activism so as not to be a distraction for the Iraq anti-war movement, but needed to speak out now.

The rally on the Mall unfolded peacefully, although about 300 protesters tried to rush the Capitol, running up the grassy lawn to the front of the building. Police on motorcycles tried to stop them, scuffling with some and barricading entrances. Protesters chanted "Our Congress" as their numbers grew and police faced off against them. Demonstrators later joined the masses marching from the Mall, around Capitol Hill and back. About 50 demonstrators blocked a street near the Capitol for about 30 minutes, but they were dispersed without arrests.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The people have finally had enough and they have finally told the politicians on Capitol Hill and George W Bush a rousing NO. A unified people have decided that the cost of the War in Iraq is far too high to them, their family, and to our country.

I had to laugh at the twelve year old girl for saying what the whole of the United States has probably been thinking for a very long time. Will the pressure of the upcoming 2008 election and the people almost literally marching up the steps of the Capitol to drag the politicians out by their hair and on to the lawn be enough to finally get the message through to them?

My biggest complaint here is that this was an "Anti-War" march and not a "Pro-Peace" rally because of the negative connotations that mentioning words like war have in the posibility of subliminal messages. The positivity of the universe needs to be positively reinforced and not dwelling on a negative.

[edit on 27-1-2007 by SpartanKingLeonidas]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Bring on the celebrities! The only thing worse than a Politican, is a celebrity trying to act like one.

Typical response from most Americans is "Shut up and Entertain me" or "Shut up and Sing." If you want to get political, run for office.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:06 AM
link   
You mean like Reagan and the Terminator?

BTW - When Reagan won, a national Canadian magazine ran the headline:

"Bonzo Goes to Washington!"

It was great!

But seriously - I love democracy, and the fact that everyone and anyone has the right and responsibility to speak out.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by soficrow]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I get political all the time and I have no intention of running for office. As a US citizen I have a right to protest, vote, voice my opinion in public, and assemble peacefully.

Celebrities are no different. They are not on this planet only to entertain us. They are humans with opinions. They are citizens with rights. Would you take away their rights just because of the industry in which they work?

As for the protests themselves - it's about time. I was protesting this war long before it was acceptable to do so. Our early protests were lied about in the media and so it was hard to have any impact or make any difference. It appears that more and more people are finally ready to see this war end and the media seems to have done okay in presenting it with some truth.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow
You mean like Reagan and the Terminator?

[edit on 28-1-2007 by soficrow]

That is EXACTLY what I said!

If an actor wants to get political, they should run for office!

Some of you misinterpreted my post. I love it when celebrities speak out against the USA, and voice opinions that give aid and comfort to the enemy. Remember the Dixie Chicks? Me Neither!

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Bring on the celebrities! The only thing worse than a Politican, is a celebrity trying to act like one.

Typical response from most Americans is "Shut up and Entertain me" or "Shut up and Sing." If you want to get political, run for office.

So American celebrities should not be able to voice thier opinions like the rest of the citizenery, because of their popularity? Is that what you are saying?

Is it OK for celebrities to voice thier support of the powers that be?
Or is it just descent you object to?

[edit on 28-1-2007 by whaaa]

[edit on 28-1-2007 by whaaa]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:16 AM
link   
celebrity endorsement is an excellent ploy to get people in tow with what your selling. some may be of true heart. others may be a selling point.

new topics

top topics

join