It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFOs as Inter-dimensional Devices?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:07 PM
link   
The new "rage" in ufology is the conclusion espoused by some (Dan Aykroyd comes to mind) that UFOs are "inter-dimensional", or are partially not in this universe (there are various theories: different dimensions, extra-universal, etc.). Is there any documentary or other evidence to support this theory? I have not heard anything in my research that would support this conclusion, but I may have missed something.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Yes.

Some UFOs might be the observable effect (sort of a fringe interference) in our three dimensional space of a device operated from a higher order dimension. Because the object is not physically in our dimension, this theory accounts for the seeming impossible, yet observed aspects of silence traveling at high speed in atmosphere and instantaneous change of direction of movement. The question to test this theory is asked of the expert physicist studying the mathematics of the higher dimensional universe. It is, "What would be the nature of the three dimensional apperception of a multi-dimensional object seen from the three dimensions?"

further reading with more links.....

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 12:00 AM
link   

The Interdimensional Hypothesis of unidentified flying objects and related events, championed by astrophysicist Jacques Vallée, attempts to explain the phenomena as regarding visitations from other universes (or dimensions) that coexist separately alongside our own. This hypothesis has been offered as an alternative to the extraterrestrial hypothesis, which proposes that unidentified flying objects are technological artifacts of other civilizations from distant worlds in our own universe. The interdimensional hypothesis proposes that these objects are a modern manifestation of elements, particularly mythological creatures, which have appeared throughout recorded history and possibly since earliest humans walked the earth. This hypothesis is generally considered to be a fringe view, even among UFO researchers.

According to this theory, the phenomenon manifests itself as a control mechanism, whose function appears to be to challenge the observer's accepted notions of reality, by appearing to be things that common sense would disregard as being impossible, and in our modern age, as technological objects which always seem to appear to be one step ahead of our own technological horizon.

By breaking the deepest taboos of society, the phenomenon thereby gradually reinforces a permanent change in the perception of that society, by the propagation of malicious memes and erroneous belief systems. Such a change appears to undermine society's belief in established authority, both governmental and scientific, which ridicules the phenomena and those that believe in it. The theory has not been widely accepted by either Ufologists or by mainstream science. Some argue it is pseudoscience, while others argue that it seeks to explain one mystery by invoking another.

--Wikipedia--The Interdimensional Hypothesis

Interesting.

I had originally penned a diatribe against this theory, arguing that it was based on mere speculation.

However, after reading Vallée's thoughts on the matter, I am inclined to not dismiss it in such an out-of-hand manner and address it with the respect that Vallée has for the subject.

However, I am not inclined to embrace it. He offers five points in support of it.

1. unexplained close encounters are far more numerous than required for any physical survey of the earth;
  2. the humanoid body structure of the alleged "aliens" is not likely to have originated on another planet and is not biologically adapted to space travel;
  3. the reported behavior in thousands of abduction reports contradicts the hypothesis of genetic or scientific experimentation on humans by an advanced race;
  4. the extension of the phenomenon throughout recorded human history demonstrates that UFOs are not a contemporary phenomenon; and
  5. the apparent ability of UFOs to manipulate space and time suggests radically different and richer alternatives."

His first point assumes knowledge of their agenda. That is an open question. The second is speculation and not based in any facts. The third is inconclusive for the same reason as the first. The fourth is irrelevant to the conclusion that UFOs are interdimensional. The last assumes that such manipulation is impossible, perhaps based on an assumption that the laws of physics as we understand them are inviolate. This is a poor assumption, one that has been proven wrong time and time again throughout history.

I would have this final, speculative question: if they can disregard physics, that implies based on what has been said an ability to phase through conventional matter, which may explain the lack of sonic booms as observed. If so, why has there never been a report of one rising from the ground or phasing through the moon? If they can disregard our physics at a whim, why would they maneuver around inconvenient things like trees? And why would they crash if they aren't really here?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Hi Togetic,

Do you believe in the multi-verse? According to the multiverse theory I would say inter-dimensional travel is possible, in other words, craft from one universe can enter into another parallel universe. Maybe this is what is happening and what the author was trying to explain. I don't know. I am just guessing. How old is this article and where can I find it(you didn't paste any link)?

If you read the infamous Krill Papers you will see that both Intra and Inter dimensional ufos/aliens are visiting us. Supposedly, some are bad and others are not.

I would have this final, speculative question: if they can disregard physics, that implies based on what has been said an ability to phase through conventional matter, which may explain the lack of sonic booms as observed.

You must be referring to the Inter-dimensional craft in this paragraph!

If so, why has there never been a report of one rising from the ground or phasing through the moon? If they can disregard our physics at a whim, why would they maneuver around inconvenient things like trees? And why would they crash if they aren't really here?

Intra-dimensional craft supposedly don't have those capabilities as Inter-dimensional ones!

[edit on 28/1/07 by SkepticGreek74]

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticGreek74
Hi Togetic,

Do you believe in the multi-verse? According to the multiverse theory I would say inter-dimensional travel is possible, in other words, craft from one universe can enter into another parallel universe. Maybe this is what is happening and what the author was trying to explain. I don't know. I am just guessing. How old is this article and where can I find it(you didn't paste any link)?

With regards to the multi-verse, I think it's certainly possible. I sort of hope that it comes true, because then it makes things more interesting.

I apologize, I should have posted the link to that article. It is the Wikipedia article on Jacques Vallee posted here.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The main reason the hypothesis intrigues me is that several of the UFO's I've seen didn't seem to display 'object permanence.' They faded away or became transparent at various times, rushed pass without seeming to displace a discernable volume of air, but were visible during daylight in a clear sky (not light reflected off of clouds, etc.)

spacecraft dont explain these as well

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:04 PM
link   
yea well one of the main reasons this theory has gained popularity is because it allows for you not having to break the speed of light....whereas interstellar travel would need either wormholes and/or superluminal (faster than speed of light) propulsion which according to mainstream thought is impossible for macro physical objects, if interdimensional ufo's were the case instead it would imply that perhaps the phenomena isnt coming from far far away, rather it be next door dimensionally. I dont buy this for a couple reason. number one being even if they were coming from a different dimension, their point of origin in that other dimension might still be far away from us meaning once they got here they would still need superluminal traveling speed....and secondly...so many areas of study like the pyramids, certain monolithic structures, not to mention history of many cultures refer to or arealigned with stars systems in our universe.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I agree with you. I think that there is a desire by some to adhere to our physical laws no matter what, and that results in more absurdity than just thinking that we might be wrong.

If they do travel fast, perhaps they are using wormholes? Perhaps they actually have super-luminal travel? I think the assumption that they are just not of this universe--while provocative--has not met the minimum burden of proof that I want to see in this kind of analysis.

And, as I believe I mentioned above, I take issue with the use of the term "inter-dimensional," unless they are traveling through different spacial dimensions (or different time dimensions... oooh, the possibility of that one blows my mind!).

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Even some old die-hard nuts and bolts folk like Budd Hopkins (who was at one time sold on the alien breeding experiment thing) must eventually come to terms with recurring aspects of UFO and "alien" studies that do not fit in any of our standard modes of thinking. Hopkins's latest book postulates intervention in human lives by intelligences or entities that can't simply be classified as aliens from space, since they appear to work outside our normal perceptions of consciouness and time. People being invisibly "abducted" while in the company of others, for instance, where nobody even notices and the abduction isn't discovered until later. What's that all about?

The biggest difficulty with trying to study UFOs from a multi-dimensional standpoint is that you and I are still stuck in our 3-D world. It's very hard for us to even conceptualize what might be going on in multiple dimensions, much less be able to translate it into something we can understand and study.

For instance, how can we study a UFO that travels "backward" in time compared to us? What would that even look like? A ship floating around, making strange motions, "vanishing" or "warping" away?

It's a puzzler, all right.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuicideVirus

The biggest difficulty with trying to study UFOs from a multi-dimensional standpoint is that you and I are still stuck in our 3-D world. It's very hard for us to even conceptualize what might be going on in multiple dimensions, much less be able to translate it into something we can understand and study.

It's a puzzler, all right.

That’s true, String theory or M theory points to us existing it 10 or even 11 dimensions as you read this now - still getting me head round that one!
wiki on m theory

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
of course ufos are used for interdimensional travelling. the reason why we must see it possible is because electromagnetic waves alone travel at 134,000,000 miles per hour. how can a ufo harness such speeds if its faster than the speed of light? since this is true theres no question whether you can travel at the speed of light or not, much less travel through time.

i think this pretty much answers why people have ufo sightings and then they all of sudden dissapear into thin air.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by topsecretombomb]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
of course ufos are used for interdimensional travelling. the reason why we must see it possible is because electromagnetic waves alone travel at 134,000,000 miles per hour. how can a ufo harness such speeds if its faster than the speed of light? since this is true theres no question whether you can travel at the speed of light or not, much less travel through time.

i think this pretty much answers why people have ufo sightings and then they all of sudden dissapear into thin air.

[edit on 3-2-2007 by topsecretombomb]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 01:35 AM
link   
intra and inter dimensional travel....could it be they are utilizing BOTH?

Isn't outer space supposed to be the PAST that we can see?
So, if they are coming from outer space ie: THE PAST....to visit here...
they would technically be travelling to the FUTURE ie: here on earth to
see us wouldn't they?

Could that be the reason why they keep visiting? To check out THE FUTURE
and what is in store??

Maybe we had the ability and know how in the past to be able to build and fly these type of craft and it lost ? Maybe they keep coming back to check at what stage all the knowledge was lost?

I hate to bring ghosts into this....but if a ghost from say 1790 in a haunted inn somewhere can show itself in our dimension why couldnt a UFO? Both of them being from the THE PAST ( a ghost a past life and UFO from space which is the THE PAST) for want of a better term.

Don't know if this the right thread to talk about this, but does anyone else get what I'm trying to say? That maybe intra and inter dimension are maybe coming from the same place? Sorry, don't know if I explained this very well.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 04:25 AM
link   
The (I'm gonna say inter-dimensional here) thing is provactive, see Lisa Randall's theories on Branes. Some of the irregularities of ufo's and especially the briefness of the encounters could potentially be explained by the attempt by the object/inhabitants to conform to a non-native reality - their sheer existence here would be inherently unstable. The objects would be attempting to cohere in "our" reality while remaining coherent within whatever natural laws "they" originate from. The result is a reality hybrid , which would seem strange not only to us, but to the visitors as well. Perceptual factors emerge as quite signifigant here , withe the possibility that such unbelievably inherently unstable chimeras would possibly be quite susceptible to determinate interpretive schemas.
Given a sheer reality incompatibility, could it be that the "aliens" might want a way to stay longer, perhaps by creating morphologically stable chimeras allowing them to stay and observe?

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Interesting topic, but I would only say, that trying to understand the dynamics and behavior of UFOs is like trying to teach a sardine the theory of Relativity!

You are, of course, aware that there are civilizations millions and perhaps billions of years technologically ahead of us. Some probably have been around even before the birth of the Solar System! So trying to understand their technology is, I guess a waste of time at this juncture. We’re trying to describe or explain something in a three dimensional context. We haven’t evolved sufficiently to think in other dimensions just yet. Understanding quantum physics is perhaps the prologue to these esoteric technologies.

So we can argue, discuss, guess, surmise, speculate and hypothesize all we want, but we’ll never get to know the hows and whys!! Not just yet!!

Cheers!!

[edit on 3-2-2007 by mikesingh]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
It is like trying to teach a sardine relativity ; but what if the sardine is interested? Is it a crime to attempt to understand? If there are other sentient civilzations millions of solar years old then did they get there by assuming the mysteries are unsolvable? This begs the question of temporal difference; the chances of human beings discovering another compatible race WITHIN ITS OWN time reference are remote. Most likely (given of course the supposition of sentient alien civilizations) they either have not evolved yet suffiencintly to "our" level or have already evolved too far beyond (i.e. extinct). It is most likely that we will discover dead world after dead world, with tantalizing evidence of civilizations ( see - Issac Asimoz here) found hither and yon. If witness testimony to the effect of alien/ufo visitations are to be granted any veracity at all, then the liklihood of discovering/encountering another bipedal humoniod species is ridicuolously small - inadvertent or otherwise visitations from alternate probablilities/timelines? is much more likely... an inadvertant human incursion into variant realities seems much more likely as an explanation of these experiences then conventional explanations of co-valent advanced alien temporal excursions. In other words, the familiarity factor within the strangness factor is what makes it truly weird. Why humanoids? Why not Squids?

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidself
This begs the question of temporal difference; the chances of human beings discovering another compatible race WITHIN ITS OWN time reference are remote. Most likely (given of course the supposition of sentient alien civilizations) they either have not evolved yet suffiencintly to "our" level or have already evolved too far beyond (i.e. extinct).

Excellent post!! That's exactly what I'm contending here. It's probably next to impossible to meet up with a civilization that's within our time frame. All this effort of contacting ET civilizations like the SETI project is a wild goose chase. Our technology has evolved not only in another time line but also possibly in a totally different direction, different scientific principles, different physics. Why do we assume that our science is the only way the universe runs?

We know little or nothing yet. But the quest must go on. Someday we'll be there!

Cheers!

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I was sketchy on the concept of alternate dimensions until I tried salvia divinorum.

Now, I'm pretty much convinced.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I guess what I meant was "don't freak'in give up!" - there is something out there , we all feel it, we just have to figure it out, whether it wants it or not.
Its not a matter of waiting for one or two millenia to pass by and hope that if get figured out in the meantime... We gotta do it now! cause who the he** knows what the f*** is going on in the meantime? I mean, if you wuz an alien species would u want anyone on the planet to know? I mean really. Biofactually; Earth is a literal Tahiti of the cosmos. Where else would anyone not actually question the incredible variety of life? We are not only the country cousins of the cosmos, we are the freakin' Amazon of the cosmos, if I wuz a life poor denizen of the universe, I would really wonder why there wuz so much life here, in this pladce, now? when the rest of the cosmos looks so barren and chances seem incredibly against life in genral. I mean, if there were 5 or 6 species to a systme, hey, that's looking really good man, I mean life is ripe there, but freakin billions! what is up with this place? So purely scientifically,l if there are other sentient species, they would complete idiots not to explore a place where life is not just prevalent, but actually taken for granted as a pain in the ass. Life is most probably taken as lightly as can be expected near to the galactic center, but c'mon, even they are going to aghast at the expectation of more than say 10,000 or more species per planet. We are looking at several billions of acculumated SPECIEs over several aeons... does this not strike anyone as strange? We are a POWERHOUSE of life, and yet with only 2 sentient species on the planet, is that not weird? Envy is not a small force for exploration. The most pertinent thing is to look towards the experience of the native south american populations with the (marginaly) advanced technologies of the Spanish. The expectation of natural law is that it should extend to the rest of the cosmos (being as such) such that it does not change - There fore life is univeral - and sentience itself NOTHING SO SPECIAL since already proven!

top topics

join