It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

capture secret transmission.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 03:15 PM
link   
hello, i was wondering if anyone has been capturing the secret transmission NASA uses on its flights. if they are we should hold onto them until we have computers to brute force break them and we can find out what they were doing.

just like today people hold on to encrypted bank transactions jsut so later when technology gets more advanced they can break it no time at all.

so holding onto old encrypted messages can prove very powerful in the future for civilians. Could contain all kinds of proof.

I do not even know where to start.
anywone ever thought about doing this.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedangler
hello, i was wondering if anyone has been capturing the secret transmission NASA uses on its flights.

before we go any further , can you cite the actual existance of these " secret NASA transmissions " ?

most are sent in clear - certainly appolo era voice comms could be intercepted by radio hams

and some shuttle / mir / ISS traffic can be listened too

certain telemetry and command instructions ARE encrypted - but that is for saftey , not secrecy

if such commands were sent in clear - a hacker could spoof them - and send malicious commands to satelites and craft

if they are we should hold onto them until we have computers to brute force break them and we can find out what they were doing.

just like today people hold on to encrypted bank transactions jsut so later when technology gets more advanced they can break it no time at all.

they do ???????

please cite examples of this occuring

i have just got off the phone with a friend who works in the IT dept of securicor - its not a bank - but they do handle secure financial data

and he said that thier security is basically 5 years old [ with updates ] - but it will take another 10~15 minimum to develope a brute force hack agaist it

in any case what will 10 year old bank tranasctions really tell you ?????

so holding onto old encrypted messages can prove very powerful in the future for civilians. Could contain all kinds of proof.

could , being the operative word

you would have to save EVERYTING , and save context data and annotations to explain the source etc

question is how are you going to capture these encrypts ?

a hell of a lot of trafic is LOS [ line of sight ] microwave

almost all is now digital - so you cannot even tell what is encrypted and what is in clear without comp\atible gear

no offence - but you are proposing ammassing a huge archive of message traffic that is not easy to intercept in the fist place

plus any " gaps " or data dropiouts will render the rest unintelligable or meaningless

all on the speculation that :

1 - a brute force decrypt will become available

2 - the decrypts will reveal something meaningfull

sounds like " tilting @ windmills " to me

new topics

join