It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sleep paralysis? or something else?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I was trying to get to sleep one night....I was extremely comfortable, I started dozing off.... I started dreaming about family, etc..

Then I said to myself in the dream 'take me' ... I don't know why I said this, but I did...

Then wham! I felt like I was on a roller coaster...I heard this rushing noise in my ears, it was extremely loud and a feeling of fear came over me. I could feel it throughout my whole body. I could see my girlfriend sleeping next to me and I was trying to reach out to her to grab her arm but I couldn't.

So i started praying to god for some reason and this noise and rushing feeling began to stop but it started again, so I prayed to a dead family member to help me. Then the sensation stopped and I grabbed my girlfriend (and scared the **** out of her).

It was really weird, I don't know what to think of this. Was my mind just playing tricks on me, or could this be something else? my gf thinks im a freak now.

looking forward to your comments.

[edit on 023131p://383827 by porky1981]

[edit on 023131p://121227 by porky1981]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I know what you're talking about, yes somebody call this sleep paralysis, but sometimes you can also leave your body and stuff when in this condition. I'm actually experimenting with this stuff and can force myself into this sleep paralysis thing when I'm tired. And yes the sounds, the fear...

And btw, the last time it happened I remember seeing my floor, I don't remember if I had actually floated trough the bed (spiritually) or just moved my head outside the bed.

[edit on 2007/1/27 by TrappedSoul]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:09 AM
link   
I am pretty sure that you had an astral projection or OOBE (out of body experience). This is a scientifically proven thing that happens and anyone can do it. The rushing noise in your ears that you spoke of happens as your astral body or soul starts to rise out of your body. The reason you couldn't grab your girlfriend at first is because you were out of your body and had no physical form just like in a dream. The difference between dreaming and and out of body experience is that when you are dreaming you create visual imagery, but when you are out of body everything is the same as when you are awake. For example everything in your room would appear as it should.

There are many places that experiment with this kind of thing such as the Monroe Institute. They have been doing this for years.

Don't be scared this is normal and happens to everyone at some point. When you got scared and started praying that was the cue for your soul or "energy body" to go back into your body.

Many people have perfected astral travel and when you master it you can travel to anywhere on this earth and do anything that your imagination can conceive.

I have a question. Before you woke up did you feel a kind of jolt on your body?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Thanks for your reply, no I didn't feel any jolt (at least I don't remember one, I was too scared).

I was just focusing on stopping the rushing noise and feeling over my body and focusing on my gf.... when it stopped I just grabbed her.

I hope it happens again, this time I won't be afraid...

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Omega is absolutely right. Did the rushing noise sound like wind and static electricity?

In basic terms, I do not know why, those sounds accompany your subconscious literally "vibrating" out of your "sleeping body." Most people whether they are conscious of the experience become scared, as you did the first time.

The majority of all of humanity (like me) had to do some work to get the basic results that you experienced which for whatever reason happened to you by chance. Want a trip? Calm down when it happens; accept, relax, and embrace it. I promise you won't be sorry.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 06:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by CPYKOmega
I am pretty sure that you had an astral projection or OOBE (out of body experience). This is a scientifically proven thing that happens and anyone can do it.

Bunkiss….
There is no scientific proof that any such thing exists. We cannot detect the soul so there is no scientific way to tell if it went on vacation anywhere.

To the OP:

It is very normal to hallucinate in stage one sleep, these are called hypnogogic hallucinations. In stage one sleep your are just starting to dose off and are somewhat between being awake and being asleep, at this time it is extremely easy for your dreams to invade into your waking thought. Now that is scientifically proven, and you can take it to the bank…

hypnogogia

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I spoke with one of my doc’s this morning, and after he was able to stop laughing and pick up the phone again, we decided that we want this technology…

Since I cannot seem to find a Soul Catcher, Soul Detector, or Silver String Snagger listed on MVAP, we have a few questions.

Where do we acquire this technology from; John Lear, or aliens?
Does it require a DC Amp, or can we hook it into the analog headbox?
What are the filter and Amp settings?
We are using a Fiber Optic Sleep system; will the soul transfer smoothly through that medium?
Will the soul have artifact induced by respiratory events, sweating, or muscle tone?
Will additional space be required near the Amp for a Wigi board, Divining Rods, Dream catcher, or set of Crystals?
Can this item be attached with 10/20 paste, Grass electrode paste, or will it require Collodion?
What changes have to be made to our reports?
Is there a Soul Leaves Body Latency (SLBL)?
Does the SLBL start at the first epoch, sleep latency, or lights out?
Is Soul Return To Body Latency (SRTBL) measured from SLBL, the first epoch, Lights out, or sleep latency?
What are the normal Latencies for SLBL and SRTBL?
Does SLBL and SRTBL vary with age?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated…

Edit to add:

The doc wants to know if his board certification in Sleep will cover this, or if he needs an additional certification in Theology or Parasociology?

[edit on 1/31/2007 by defcon5]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

CPYKOmega said: I have a question. Before you woke up did you feel a kind of jolt on your body?

As a matter of fact you prompt me to ask a question. When you say Jolt, do you mean like a external body jolt (like something hits you) or do you mean internal. Well, I have had these OFTEN and it really does upset me. I plan on speaking to my Dr. about this.

What happens to me is I am falling to sleep, and I actually think I am sleeping. Then Whammo I get this internal jolt like I've been electrocuted but without pain. I have often thought about this as to how I can explain it to my Dr. I came up with one way to explain it and this is how... It feels like my blood pressure drops to the extreme then bursts way up to the max. Another example is when you put a 9 volt battery on your tongue to test if its still strong. It is that feeling but all over the body (no sensation on the tongue though)

I know it sounds strange, but hey this is the perfect time for me to ask if anyone has had this experience or do you know what it is?

In reference to a prior thread - post about this subject

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MicheleLee

As a matter of fact you prompt me to ask a question. When you say Jolt, do you mean like a external body jolt (like something hits you) or do you mean internal. Well, I have had these OFTEN and it really does upset me. I plan on speaking to my Dr. about this.

This is also normal, it can be hypnic jerk, PLM, or Catalepsy. It’s basically a muscle spasm. though if you have sleep apnea or a heart condition, it could possibly be a PVC.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:36 AM
link   

This is also normal, it can be hypnic jerk, PLM, or Catalepsy. It’s basically a muscle spasm. though if you have sleep apnea or a heart condition, it could possibly be a PVC.

Yes I do have a heart condition. New years eve two years ago I was admitted to the hospital with a heart rate of 239. It was horrible and felt like my chest was turning inside out. I couldn't breathe right. They put IV medications into my upper arm three times and I felt such a heavy feeling on my chest, and heat. I did not work. Eventually they slowed down my heart with a IV drip. I had the test where they go in via the groin area, just to take a look, but while they were in there they found problems and they zapped several areas. They could not get all areas as they said it was to low in the heart. I was only 35 when this happened. The procedure helped with the strenght of the beats on a good attack are about 175, but they are more frequent now which is just annoying. I do take a medication and 325mg of asprin a day to help with clotting during one of these.

I am going to look into this some more, but I tell my story to you just in case you have anything to add.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I have mentioned on ATS many times my experiences in Sleep Paralysis.

I experience this approx once a month and for me it is the most terrifying experience ever every time. Every time i experience this i have a very high frequency vibration running right through my body so intense is this vibration that it can sometimes leave me with pain the next day.

Every time and i repeat EVERY TIME i have this i have been aware of someone standing next to me watching me. Once i tried to look but as my eyes where the only things i could move and i witnessed 2 hooded beings at the side of my bed. The terror i felt when seeing these beings is unexplainable. They were doing something however they were not touching me.

Another time there was seriously loud high pitched noises in the room and once agin i sensed a being at the side of me. I could not turn my head to look however my head was facing my mrs. I remember lookiing at her thinking "Wake up you stupid cow , How the bloody hell can you not here this noise" then i noticed she was lifeless almost as if in some sort of suspended animation and at the same time i became aware (Somehow) that at that present moment time itself was non exsistent and i could stay in this state for hours yet not a second would pass within the realm my mrs was in next to me.

Dreams or not i dont know but what i do know is that i would like them to stop i have had this since the age of about 10-11

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by MicheleLee
Yes I do have a heart condition. New years eve two years ago I was admitted to the hospital with a heart rate of 239.

Ok, well first I am not a doctor, only a technician, so I cannot diagnose you. I would never try to tell you for certain what is going on online anyway. The only way that anyone can tell what is happening to you when you sleep is to have a Polysomnogram run. A polysomnogram is a painless test that involves someone running an EEG, EKG, EMG, EOC, SA02, and several other things on you while you sleep. This will tell them for certain what is going on with you, your heart, and your respiration/O2 levels. You can have your Doctor refer you to a sleep lab to have this done. Often they recommend it to people that have a cardiac issue, as your heart is one of the areas affected by sleep apnea. Both the effects of constant desaturation on the heart tissue, and the added stress of your heart beating faster when your O2 levels drop can cause or aggravate heart problems. Sleep Apnea is well documented to cause/aggravate heart conditions, as well as high blood pressure, among other things. Getting tested for it is the best advice I can offer you.

Edit to add:

Again I am not a Dr, but the heart rate you are mentioning is within the range of what we call V-Tach, V-Tach is a run of the PVC’s I mentioned above. PVC’s can feel like a jolt, or like someone just gave you a good thump in the chest. Any arrhythmia can be caused by the ectopic foci of your heart getting agitated over something. They basically get a wild hair up their butt and decide they want to be the foci that is leading your heart rhythm. O2 Desaturation is something that can cause them to become irrated in that fasion. From what you descirbed above about getting stuff in your heart zapped, I can make a good guess that these ticked off Foci were what they were burning.

Again the best thing I can suggest to you is that you have a sleep study done to check what your O2 levels are while your sleeping, it really cannot hurt you to go have it done.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
A great point to make is that some people would rather not tell their Dr. they had this experience while sleeping as they do not want their Dr. to think the patient also needs a head shrink. I say do not fear to tell them as they could have a lot of experience with this type of sleep complaint or if not they will eventually learn from it.

I am not doubting that some do have a spiritual experience, but for others it could be another type of spiritual event such as your body saying "Hey, wake up and remember this because it can save your life." Our bodies talk to us in so many ways. It is very important to not hide what you believe to be a "weird" experience because it might be far more common then you think!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I did tell my doctor he almost laughed and told me not to worry and that a change in my routine or work was probably to blame for a disruptive sleep.

I did attend for a ear infection and thought whilst im here what the hell tell him.

He didnt even wanna hear the story so i left it there

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
At night time your hearing is augmented (not really but the brain pays attention to it as if it were the primary sense) The rushing sound is your blood running through your ears various parts. I know that sounds wrong but ask any doctor or anyone else who is used to being out in the dark in low light often, they all get it too.

THe fealing of fear is also normal i've had a bunch of hypnogogic hallucinations in my time and they all have a sence of alarm or fear to them. maybe it's seeing stuff from your dreams interwoven with what you are literally looking at. Maybe it's cause you realise that you are paralized and can't move. That bit scared me alot, especialy when sleep apnea is mixed in and i can't breath either.

I've also seen people in my room during these episodes too, and they seem to interact with you then suddenly disappear. All still part of the hallucination.

I had a neighbor who had to sleep in a different room than his wife because he had a hypnogogic condition where he would wake up a few time a week flialing and throwing lamps or anything else immediate to him at unseen guys with hoods in the corner of his room.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 04:39 PM
link   
I have suffered from sleep problems for years.
I am aware of sleep paralysis and all the wonderous hypnagogic and hypnopompic states that mainstream know off.

The fact is with all that wonderful modern technology and research all these "clever" men dont know what something like 80% to 90% of the brain is doing.

They use their science to prove that evolution is evident and creationism is not. Yet their own research tells them that in nature if you dont use it, it falls off or gets smaller, well eventually.

Human brains have been large for a good many generations and dont seem to be getting any smaller, although some seem to give that impression

So any clever Docs or scientists out there what are your hypothesis' for the unused brain stuff? The paranormal believers do not all think that the brain is the location of the soul etc. But at least those that do have an idea. An idea can be researched.

The scientists have no idea what that lump of brain may be up to.

So I score it ideas:

Parascience 1 versus Mainstream Science 0

I dont think that any rational scientist can dispute the irrationality of the idea that we are more than our physical being.

I have had these OOB type feelings. They did scare me. Usually it starts with a kind of throbing / vibrating sensation then an adrenaline rush feeling like you get on one of those vertical drop waterslides. Usually at that stage I am calling for my mummy

Sometimes I see it through. One ocasison I lay there awake, the rushing feeling felt like I was sinking fast backwards to the ground but it was like I was instantaneously at the ceiling. Next thing I knew I was facing a wall at the edge of my bed as if sitting there. Now this was not possible as that bed edge is against a wall!! I remember thinking that was puzzling and started to look to my left just as I saw what I believe were my feet under the quilt it was like I was sucked straight back into my body staring at the ceiling, like I was moments before.
I sat up, got to the wall position where I thought I had been earlier and got close enough to get the textures of its surface in focus and of relative size as my OOB type experience. It was not in focus, even with my glasses on I could not get as close as my OOB thing!!

So something had occured. Believe me when it happens to you, you will believe. I dont totally accept some of the stories of traveling to other worlds though. But it could just be my ignorance.

I can recall now sitting there in the surgery talking to the doc knowing I cant tell him all that has happened because this rational man will think me mad or delusional. Maybe hes right. But at least I have a bit of an explanation for the majority of my brain. Thats more than he has.

Something that all the "clever", know all, rational mainstream thinkers should remember is, we can not measure a thought or an idea.

So I suppose by science they do not exist either

IP

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:20 PM
link   
All oobs and hypnogogic hallucinations aside science has know for years why humans don't use 100% of our brain at once.

Neurons can generally only transmit a signal from one direction to the other. If you have a chain of neurons connecting one part of the brain to another and a signal is being sent just like in electrical wireing then only the nueron in the chain that actually has the electro chemical signal coursing through it will/can be used at that instance. If all the nuerons were fired up at once it would be like having a hot line with no neutral connection or ground, there would be no way for the current or signal to travel around, as there would be no voltage or a circuit to motivate it or carry it. It's like sending an electrical pulse from both ends of a wire to the center at the exact same time, it's physically imposible.

So we do use 100% of our brains but that nuerons like most things follow the laws of physics, and so only a small portion of the nueron bundle or chain can carry a signal at a time. Saying we don't use 100% of our brain is like saying we don't use 100% of a copper wire when its transmitting an electrical pulse.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Il Papa
The fact is with all that wonderful modern technology and research all these "clever" men dont know what something like 80% to 90% of the brain is doing.

To me that number sounds a way on the high side. While its true that we don’t know what each neuron is doing in the brain, we certainly do understand what each lobe does. We know this from years of dealing with folks with varying head injuries. We may never know what memory each individual cell contains, as every persons brain is wired up somewhat differently since the neurons are formed based on your personal experiences and memories.

Originally posted by Il Papa
So any clever Docs or scientists out there what are your hypothesis' for the unused brain stuff? The paranormal believers do not all think that the brain is the location of the soul etc. But at least those that do have an idea. An idea can be researched.
The scientists have no idea what that lump of brain may be up to.

These are the areas that most folks think of when they think of gray matter:
Cerebral Cortex
Frontal Lobe
Temporal Lobe
Parietal Lobe
Occipital Lobe
Cerebellum

A few more just for added reading
Brain Stem
Pons
medulla oblongata
Corpus Callosum
Olfactory Bulb
Brain

We have a pretty good grasp on what each of these sections control from observing and testing those that have lost or damaged them. So I guess the answer is yes, we know a ton about what the brain does and each section of the brain.

As to a soul, there is no way to detect such a thing with today’s level of science; we cannot even say for certain that such a thing truly exists. When you are talking about a soul you are crossing into the realm of faith and religion and out of the realm of science. Personally being a man of faith I do believe that there is such a thing as a soul, we cannot fully explain conscience based solely on the function of the brain itself, but does that Soul have to live in a specific section of your body?

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:21 PM
link   
To put it simply: Sleep Paralysis sucks.

I have it several times a month as well. I think it has got to the point that i may even induce it myself because i fear it so much. I go to be saying to myself 'god, i hope i don't have SP tonight'... and i think that i worry about it that much that it manifests itself.

I gotta stress less!

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Yes it does. I got one once when I was awoken suddenly by a modest earthquake in the middle of the night a few years ago in LA. Since there was an earthquake and I woke up suddenly with sleep paralysis, and nobody was asking if we were ok(mom calling through the house) I actually wondered if maybe I was dead and that the earth quake was worse than I thought. Luckely the sleep paralysis went away a few minuts later and I could get up and walk around the house and know that I wasn't dead. But for a few minuts I wondered.

Sleep paralysis is very scary if you aren't ready it for it, which nobody truley really is. Can make you entertain really crazy thoughts.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join