It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tens of thousands protest Iraq war in DC today!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Americana
Are you suggesting that Saddam was innocent?

NO If you READ what I posted it says FOUND GUILTY of MURDERING 128 people. The rest is just heresay since the man was never tried or convicted of anything else. Are you trying to say he was found guilty of any of the charges you say he committed? If so, please provide some proof as to the trial dates and sentences that were handed down. I must have missed them somewhere along the line.

So far as I know there was no trial about gassing thousands of people or tying hand grenades to anyone.

ape

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i agree 100% crgintxs.

by endgame2
All of us know someone who has or is currently serving in Iraq or is active military

yeah, a good friend of mine was killed last june. I dont think we needed to launch a full scale invasion of iraq as we could just like every other nation on this earth crush them econimcally if they were such a threat. However my buddy died believing in what he was fighting for and believed what he was doing was a good cause. damn I respect that.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomic
Saddam is dead, an evil delusional man that was given much more mercy in his death than those he killed by tying hand gernades to their bodies or poisoning with gas. He's dead, the world in the Middle East moves on quickly...I don't think a lethal injection would of changed much.

Where did you get all that? Faux News?

[edit on 27/1/07 by SteveR]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
history1900s.about.com...

www.fas.org...

civilliberty.about.com...

National Geographic channel has been running its hour show on Saddam a lot recently, some good stuff or I should say some heinous stuff.

Nice graphic I'll have to use that next time I want to avoid the issue...But I do like your avatar vault.

[edit on 27/1/07 by Atomic]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I'm sorry. I see it all the time, and it gets tiring retyping replies

I do not mind discussing it with you, but a different thread would be appropriate.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
True enough, this would be the wrong thread...I don't have much energy tonight to debate.

Cheers.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 11:44 PM
link   
The President disregarding the wishes of the people. This protest won't stop him either. I don't know what his aim is, either he thinks he can repair his ruined place presidential history or there are some other underlying reasons he wishes to disregard the people he swore to represent.

WASHINGTON - A defiant President Bush indicated yesterday he'll ignore a Senate resolution opposing his Iraq strategy, saying when it comes to war he's the "decision maker."
"One of the things I've found in Congress is that most people recognize that failure [in Iraq] would be a disaster for the United States. And in that I'm the decision maker. I had to come up with a way forward that precluded disaster," Bush said.

Bush, who last year described himself as "the decider" when it comes to Iraq, rejected the impact of the resolution at a .meeting with Defense Secretary Robert Gates; Gen. Peter Pace, chairman of the Joint Chiefs, and Lt. Gen. David Petraeus, who was confirmed yesterday by the Senate as the top commander in Iraq.

Go take a hike, Senate

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It is nice to see people protest this ignorant "war". In my city there were protestors downtown every weekend for the first year of the war, at least but has slowly diminished in numbers since. I havent gone downtown yet this weekend, but I will be there will be a large group out there tomorrow am!

It does scare me though that the "descision maker" doesnt at least listen to the voters, and in our representative democracy the elected officials to help him with this descision. Seems ignorant.

Seems as if its going to get worse before it gets better, which is scary.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
You hit the nail on the head, PieMan!

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
The President disregarding the wishes of the people. This protest won't stop him either. I don't know what his aim is, either he thinks he can repair his ruined place presidential history or there are some other underlying reasons he wishes to disregard the people he swore to represent.

WASHINGTON - A defiant President Bush indicated yesterday he'll ignore a Senate resolution opposing his Iraq strategy, saying when it comes to war he's the "decision maker."
"One of the things I've found in Congress is that most people recognize that failure [in Iraq] would be a disaster for the United States. And in that I'm the decision maker. I had to come up with a way forward that precluded disaster," Bush said.

I was about to post a link to the news story that the Senate had passed a resolution that he's ignoring. The good side of this is that there's a bill to clip Presidential powers so that the President can't just suddenly decide to send troops wherever he likes without the approval of Congress.

There needs to be a check and balance, here. Ordering your armies out without consulting others is something a dictator does.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indellkoffer
I was about to post a link to the news story that the Senate had passed a resolution that he's ignoring. The good side of this is that there's a bill to clip Presidential powers so that the President can't just suddenly decide to send troops wherever he likes without the approval of Congress.

There needs to be a check and balance, here. Ordering your armies out without consulting others is something a dictator does.

The one thing they need to do to clip this turkeys wings is take away his power to go to war for 60days without approval. Maybe they need to bring it down to about 2 weeks which should be enough time for Congress to be involved and not allow 2 months to pass by before anything can happen.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Does a protest like this serve to help or hurt the situation in Iraq and the future situation in Iran?

On one hand, the "insurgency" is watching CNN, FOX and seeing that the will of the Americans is seemingly not with Dubya. On the other hand, Dubya is "surging" troops.

So, the protest makes "the enemy" more determined and we're sending more soldiers into harms way.

America is sending two messages right now, and we need one to solve the problem. Unless the public view changes, I think the only thing to do is get out. What a mess!

I just had a friend leave to go over there and with this whole Iran thing boiling I worry about him daily.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Wow! Americans are finally waking up to this reality. You know what they say? The adage "It's better late than never" fits hand in glove in this instance!

On a more serious note though, here are my opinions of the 2nd Iraqi war.
The first gulf war was justified inorder to get Iraq out of Kuwait but the second was absurd and meaningless for MOST INNOCENT people.

The real reasons for the 2nd gulf war are:
(1)Nullify all previous oil contracts
(2)Establish further geo-political control in the middle east besides Israel

Now that Iraq has been conquered for over 2-3 years and the American administration has gotten precisely what they wanted they are severly at odds over how to proceed. You see its the American way: Shoot and ask questions later!

How can this versatile situation be delt with? I don't know but the people who created this atmosphere should be able to adequately deal with it!
Maybe they should split the country into 2 or 3 countries. Maybe they should also attack Iran and get rid of muslim fundamentalism once and for all. Maybe they should both. Hell why not just nuke the whole middle east and make it all a huge wasteland.

This is what happens when you shoot first and ask questions later. It messes things up and then the alternative solutions are very costly! I think the worst thing to do is take away the troops as doing this will either start a bloody civil war in Iraq or Iran will just march in and claim it as it's own. Thats the reason why the allies didn't take Baghdad in the original gulf campaign. They wanted a buffer against Iran. Unfortunately, this administration failed to see the obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Here's more info from an investigative journalist who was there on site:

waynemadsenreport.com...

Apparently there were well over 100,000 and possibly over 200,000 - not tens of thousands as the MM reported. He also said he heard 2 reporters talking BEFORE the demonstrators arrived and they were talking about "tens of thousands". Seems like they had orders from their boss to lie about how many there really were. He also says most were white, middle and upper class.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
He also says most were white, middle and upper class.

Hmm, now why do you suppose that would be, forestlady?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You see its the American way: Shoot and ask questions later!

---please dont think the egomaniac running our country is indicitive of the american way. Please. I know its hard not to, but remember, he has a 25% approval rating right now. Which translates to 75% of the country opposed to what is going on.

Hopefully we can get out of this alive.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by websurfer
Americans making a stand. Democracy in action. There really is no reason for Americans to be in Iraq in the first place.

A simple coup would have removed Sadaam from office. Technology exists and is cheaper.

This rally is just a different way of saying there is no need to humiliate someone through taunting followed by a hanging at the cost of (insert death toll of Iraq civillians and American Service members).

Allowing the hanging to take place as a public humiliation also may have enticed the neighboring countries to be on guard. An injection would have been just as effective.

We've done way too much damage and lost all credibility (worldwide) to rectify this situation.

The time is right for a coup right here! Right now! I wish somebody in the military would arrange this!

It doesn't have to be violent or bloody. Just rush the white house and essentially tell "W", you've lost the war, you've lost touch with reality and you are defying the very people's wishes whom are your bosses. Its time to go mr bu$h.

The congress doesn't have the balls. What else can be done?

[edit on 063131p://upSunday by QuasiShaman]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join