It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats in you wine cellar?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Calling out to all you wine snobs out there. What are you drinking these days?

I seem to have developed a fetish for italian wines as of late 130+ bottles and growing.

Im interested if any of you have tried any of the Casanova di Neri wines. I am rapidly accumulating vertical tiers of the Cerretalto, Tenuta Nuova, and the Pietradonice ( Also have the Rosso, but its just not in the same class as the BDM's).

So what are you guys drinking?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I make my own wines, haven't bought a bottle in more than 12 years.
Currently in my cellar I have:

6 gallons of Strawberry white merlot
1 gallon of 3 year old dandelion
1 gallon of raspberry
3 gallons of white grape/blueberry
1 gallon of the best banana wine I've ever made

In the spring I'm trying a new recipe, the main ingredient is 3 gallons of lilac flowers. Should have a nice bouquet. :w:
I also want to try a blueberry mead.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I have a small 'minifridge style' wine cooler.

The prize in there right now is a "Johannisberg Reisling Ice Wine" from a vinyard called Pindar, estate bottled in 2001. I'm allways too reluctant to open it up, because its such a great bottle that I want to wait for a 'big ocasion' to open it. Pindar also has a great blush table wine called something like "Spring Blush", and a nice champagne, at least a few years ago.

I also have a 1999 Cheateau Bel Air bordeaux, the label says its a 'Cru Bourgeios' so I am also holding on to it for a little bit.

I also have a couple of different australian Shiraz and italian Chianti.

Recently, I got a few bottles of a 2005 Sauvignon Blanc from Touraine which is excellent, that I got as a gift along with a bunch of other bottles.

Also in my wine cooler is a 12 ounce bottle of a Belgian beer, and a pack of Kodak film.

The biggest problem that I have with wines is that I never know when to open them, because some can sit on a shelf for a while and improve, and others will decay if they sit to long. I know that reds will sit longer than whites, but still, it varies so much for the individual bottle.

I haven't tried the ones you mention FredT.

Beer_Guy, did you find it expensive and time consuming to get started brewing in your home? Do you recommend starting with beer or wine?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Can I play in this thread?

Though I've never much concerned myself with what's in my cellar, I'm far more interested with what's in my glass.

That being said, I have a few old dustys tucked away here and there...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Please do, Ive always wondered what the
kept in the corner of his cage

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Nygdan,

having recently become aquainted with ice Wine (We had an Inskillilin Cab Franc IW for thanksgiving) it really is good stuff esp. when paierd with a desert.

Right now for my money the best Sauvignon Blanc out there is the Matua 2005. Its under $10.00 and is about 90 points by WS.

Beer Guy, what the Dandlion wine like?

Cheers

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Beer_Guy, did you find it expensive and time consuming to get started brewing in your home? Do you recommend starting with beer or wine?

It's not that expensive, around 100.00 USD for all of your equipment. You can pay lots more but you don't have to.
I would start with beer using a malt extract in a can and progress on up to all grain brewing. But when you get to all grain brewing you will need a bit more equipment.
If you have all of the equipment to brew beer and you want to start making wine all you have to buy is a corker, bottles, and corks.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
At the moment i have bottles of Reynolds 2002 and 2003 merlot and cab merlot. Akuna station merlot and shiraz 2002 and 2003. Koonunga hill shiraz 2004, Rawsons retreat cab sauv 2004, Wolf Blass Yellow Label cab sauv and to keep the missus happy some chardonnays from Nottage Hill.
All aussie wines. Have lately tried some south african and argentinian wines which were very nice. They are no longer in the cellar!!

It helps that i work for one of the largest wine label printing company's in the southern hemisphere and we get cases dirt cheap!!

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Beer Guy, what the Dandlion wine like?

It's hard to describe....
It's a very light tasting wine, none of the flavors are strong. Kinda fruity with flowery/fruity aftertaste. You would never know what it was made from "just" by tasting it. It improves tremendously after a year of aging.

We picked a five gallon bucket of dandelion flowers to make the one gallon of wine. After picking all the petals from the green part there was about 2 gallons of petals. That was steeped for 24 hours in boiling springwater.
Lots of work for one gallon of wine.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   
My cellar isn't much in play since I'm quite distant from it right now.

On hand is is a magnum of 2002 Diamond Terrace Cabernet Sauvignon, a 2001 Feather, 2000 Chateau Greysac, 2003 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon, 2000 Woodward Canyon Pinot Noir (last vintage made), (3) 2004 Sea Smoke Southing, (2) 2004 Sea Smoke Botella, 2001 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino, 2004 Gruner Veltliner, and a 1996 Gloria Ferrer Royal Cuvee Brut.

Inbound (care package to the wine monkey): 2004 Ampelos Lambda Pinot Noir, 1999 Seavey Cabernet Sauvignon, 2003 Domaine Jean-Marc Bouley Volnay, 2000 Kathryn Kennedy Cabernet Sauvignon (if you haven't had a chance to drink any of her wines, I'd recommend doing so
), 2005 Two Hands Gnarly Dudes Shiraz (Two Hands is one of the most consistent producers in Australia, vintage to vintage and top to bottom), and a 2003 Costa de Oro Reserva Chardonnay.

All wines consummed in the appropriate Riedel Sommeliers because it's the right thing to do.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Ahhhhh.... the Wolf Blass Yellow Label cab sauv is no longer in the cellar.

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
My cellar isn't much in play since I'm quite distant from it right now.

On hand is is a magnum of 2002 Diamond Terrace Cabernet Sauvignon, a 2001 Feather, 2000 Chateau Greysac, 2003 Woodward Canyon Artist Series Cabernet Sauvignon, 2000 Woodward Canyon Pinot Noir (last vintage made), (3) 2004 Sea Smoke Southing, (2) 2004 Sea Smoke Botella, 2001 Argiano Brunello di Montalcino, 2004 Gruner Veltliner, and a 1996 Gloria Ferrer Royal Cuvee Brut.

The Argiano I do have in the cellar. And I would love to get my hands on some Sea Smoke down the road. I have not had any of Kennedy's wines yet, but I am hoping to change that in the future.

I just stumbled on a small wine shop in MA and ordered a bunch of stuff including:

6 of the 2001 La Rasina Brunello di Montalcino Il Divasco
2 of the 1997 Casanova di Neri Brunello di Montalcino Cerretalto
2 Of the Siro Pacenti 2000
2 of the 2001 Casanova di Neri Sant' Antimo Pietradonice (Tuscan Cab)

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Wine SPectator just rated 2 wines from Tuscany at 100 points

The 2001 Casanova Di Neri Cerretalto
and the 2001 Valdicava Madonna Del Piano Riserva

No one has it yet, but Ill bet the prices are going to be $$$$$$$$

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 03:25 PM
link   

external image

Sucks to be me... Not...

[edit on 12/2/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Feb, 12 2007 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Dust...some spider webs, and alot of dust, the cleaning lady refuses to go down there.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:12 PM
link   
MM, How was the dead arm? And which Two Hands was that?

Of the Two Hands I have:

2004 Ares 3 Bottles (Pre Arrival)
2004 Bella's Garden 12 Bottles
2004 Lily's Garden 3 Bottles

The Sea Smoke I just have to envy from afar. Im hoping that a good friend will get an alotment which we will split next year.

posted on Feb, 14 2007 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I also just picked up 4 bottles of the

2001 Brunello di Montalcino Riserva, Piccolomini This one got 98 points on WS

Last night I had the 1999 Chateau Ducru Beaucaillou which is not as dramatic of some of thier recent offerings but nice none the same. I do have a 2001 Ducru and a 2001 of thier second wine La Croix de Beaucaillou so i think a taste comparison may be soon in order.

[edit on 2/14/07 by FredT]

posted on Feb, 26 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I'll soon be in your neck of the woods and I always have Sea Smoke on hand.

The Two Hands was an Ares.

My kill list is through the roof right now but most notable was a 2004 Garretson Bulladoir Syrah and a 1989 Chateau Doisey Daene Barsac (second growth).

Dinner at Mastro's tomorrow night, we'll be busting through the 2003 Diamond Terrace (Gravelly Meadow, Volcanic Hill & Red Rock Terrace).

posted on Mar, 8 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I just scored 4 bottles of the 2002 Barossa Valley Estate "E & E" Black Pepper Shiraz

added 1 of the 1997 Niebaum-Coppola "Cask" Rutherford Cabernet Sauvignon

2 of the 2003 Lafaurie Peyraguey

2 bottles of the 2003 Almaviva (Bringing my total to 6), I have 4 of the 04's as well

I added to my 05 Bordeaux futures with the
2005 Haut-Bages-Libéral (1.5L) (2)
2005 Rol Valentin (6)

and the 04 pre arrival of the 2004 Ducru-Beaucaillou, St-Julien (3L)

Its not all good news however, I opened the 1986 Baron Philippe de Rothschild Mouton Cadet and it had gone bad

posted on Mar, 12 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
A bit of good news.

For a bit now we have been grouping together on several Pinot producers and it seems we have been kicked upstairs on both the WH Smith List, Kosta Browne, and Patz and Hall. You get an alotment each year. If you buy it all, they may up you the following year and you can get a hold of thier higher end wines. many of these producers sell out with thier wine clubs and there is almost zero chance to get them retail. So next year we may be swimming in good pinot

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join