It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A submarine question.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I need some help on something, I remember seeing a picture of an Ohio class submarine coming into a bunch of weird looking antenna net that somehow affects the submarine. I forgot what you call it when they do that to the submarine and what does it do? Its like electomagnetic or something, but I know theres another word for it. Dang it.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It Sounds like a degaussing station ..where they demagnetize the ship or a test mock up for electronics systems. The net keeping out or grounding out unwanted signals.

As an electronic mock up...you can test various electronic ship systems without stray signals interfering. You just drive the boat through and run the program. Sort of like the fast food lane.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Thank you for the answer orangetom. I was looking up on the degauss and it seems to be dealing with in the military matter with mines. I was wondering if the new submarines have coils in them that makes the ship able to degauss itself in dealing with mines when sneaking by a minefield.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I know ships have an ability to run a cable underneath the keel, or something like that anyway, which degauses the ship and makes it safer to pass by magnetically operated mines.

I'm not too sure if subs have this ability, but if they do, it would also help against MAD gear as well as mines.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   
You can find them with a MAD rig whether or not they have a field bias, because they distort the earth's magnetic field, but they would show up better if they're carrying a field.

One of the reasons the Soviets might have built a titanium hulled attack sub is that they are not readily detectable this way. But it costs too much to do.

Interestingly, the Soviets have a method for detecting in-shore or near-mouth riverine approaches of submarines that doesn't require magnetic anomaly detection, will detect even acoustically silent subs and can spot incursions of swimmers with tow-motors, if they're carrying too much metallic equipment on them at the time.

I guess they got pi--d off real bad by Ivy Bells.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
Thank you for the answer orangetom. I was looking up on the degauss and it seems to be dealing with in the military matter with mines. I was wondering if the new submarines have coils in them that makes the ship able to degauss itself in dealing with mines when sneaking by a minefield.

It could have to do with mines...but also with other types of detection dealing with magnetic fields. EVen welding on a hull can polarize a section of a ship. A ship which has been in a yard for extensive repairs has had lots of welding done to it. Hence the need to degausse.

As to built in equipment to degausse..some ships do have it built in them. I dont know about the new submarines in this regard. It is just that there is not much room on a submarine for the bundles of cables needing to be built in to them to accomplish this task. Extra space is at a premium in a submarine. THey would also not want the extra weight when you can drive the ship to a specific location where it can be degaussed.

THanks,
Orangetom

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

If your interested in gauss equipment, try looking up a gauss rifle....one of my faveroute magnetic "toys".

Interesting post there orangetom, just one question...when you mean "degauss the ship" by mines do you mean remove any residual flux in the ships framework or any it might have picked up through genny's or the like.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Along with orangetom's statements I would venture to say that most naval vessels want to get themselves degaussed on regular intervals to limit the interference it does to their own sensors and systems too.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by BASSPLYR
Along with orangetom's statements I would venture to say that most naval vessels want to get themselves degaussed on regular intervals to limit the interference it does to their own sensors and systems too.

Yup..you got the idea...and yes..Devil Wasp...magnetic fields from gennys and other means...repairs using welding machines. Also not necessarily for mines but also for detection equipment which can detect fluctuations in a natural magnetic field.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
a number are viewable via GoobleEarth :

here is one :

36°52'8.73"N
76°19'54.77"W

the techinacal name is :

the Magnetic Silencing Facility

my mate has seen one close up - not the one i give co-ords for , and apparently the structure is made entirely from wood

top topics

join