It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Shows Subterranean Water on Mars Likely

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Voyagers must dig to uncover hidden water reservoirs on Mars, said a new study that debunks a hunch the water and CO2 in its ancient atmosphere were blown away by solar winds.

Scientists had theorized that Mars, once likely wet but now dry, was the victim of a catastrophic event that drained the planet or that solar winds eroded its formerly dense atmosphere over time.
But data collected by the European Mars Express spacecraft showed only a small amount of water vapors and carbon dioxide in its atmosphere has escaped the red planet over the past 3.5 billion years.

Some frozen water was found on the surface in a handful of craters and in polar regions.
But, the small quantities found were not enough to explain geological evidence of a possible bygone ocean and rivers, leading researchers to want look underground for answers to the mystery.

SOURCE:
Physorg.com

These last few years have given us a great amount of information
about the red planet, and this is just the latest, and very intriguing
addition.

If it turns out there are large reorvoirs of subterranian CO2 and H2O,
than it will definately push towards manned missions and eventual
colonization of Mars.

Comments, Opinions?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Well I'm no expert so I can't give a terribly informed answer; but I think this is good news. I've read some interesting articles that often explain how we should be able to survive on Mars even with current technology. Seems like it is only a matter of time, though probably too much time for me to ever experience or even witness it. I always thought we were very fortunate as a race to have such a hospitable alien-planet so near our home. It's a dangerous place, the solar system as a whole is, but learning to survive in its various enviroments should prepare to survive indefinetly elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yes screw up earth so bad that we can't live on it then do the same to mars....wow humanity is destined to screw up the galaxy..

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pepperslappy
Yes screw up earth so bad that we can't live on it then do the same to mars....wow humanity is destined to screw up the galaxy..

We would'nt not going there because we've destroyed the Earth.
We would be going there to learn, and to set up a base that could
eventually exist self-sufficiently, so that if a catastrophe happened
on Earth, our species, and indeed Terran life in general would not
go extinct.

Besides, Mars could not hold everyone on Earth, and be able to
support them as well.

[edit on 1/27/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Mars could easily hold everyone on earth. Earth is MOSTLY water. Mars technically has more space then us with land.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pepperslappy
Mars could easily hold everyone on earth. Earth is MOSTLY water. Mars technically has more space then us with land.

I debated explaining more what I meant with myself, I guess I should have
gone with the explaining.

What I mean is that you could not build the neccesary facilities to hold
everyone comfortably, or even for basic survival.

I'd estimate (very roughly) that it would take atleast 400 years to build
the infrastructure to support everyone, and that's assuming you had
easy access to the materials.

[edit on 1/27/2007 by iori_komei]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   
To survive off Earth humans will have to develope much cleaner technologies. Waste is deadly in space because basic resources are scarce. Many of the technologies we develop to live on Mars, the Moon, ect can be applied to Earth as well.

Humans inovate when they have challenges to overcome, and space exploration presents un-parralled challenges that dwarf most anything we have ever had to deal with here on Earth.

posted on Mar, 15 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The latest shows massive ice in the polar region of mars in this report

Massive ice deposits found on Mars

Scientists say they have found huge deposits of ice on the south pole of Mars that are so plentiful they would blanket the planet in 11 metres of water if they were liquid.

The deposits are up to 3.7 kilometres thick and cover an area larger than Texas.

The scientists used a joint NASA-Italian Space Agency radar instrument on the European Space Agency (ESA) Mars Express spacecraft to gauge the thickness and volume of the ice deposits.

new topics

top topics

join