It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

_WHY_ do you eat meat? -or- _WHY_ do you not eat meat?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
***I do not mean this to begin a war between 'meat-heads' and 'veg-heads', but rather to enlighten me as to the reasons for your particular choice in entrees.***

WHY do you eat meat?

-or, conversely-

WHY do you eat only veggies?

To start:

I am a meat-eater. I was raised that a dinner plate as meat, potatoes, and a vegetable. I eat meat because it's become habit. I was taught that meat is part of the 'food pyramid', and that because of that placement, it is a necessary food to eat. There's also the ubiquitous holiday traditions, which always have several forms of meat involved. I like the taste of meat (especially when it's medium-rare, more rare than medium).

Right now, I'm debating going vegetarian simply because meat is too expensive. (fruits and veggies aren't exactly cheap, but they are cheap-er than meat.) I'm also debating going vegetarian because of the ethics involved in eating meat, in light of a philosophy class that I am taking.

So, what are your reasons for your particular 'main course'?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Strange thread...

I eat meat because I like it, I don't like pork much because it's really dry to me.
Steak, roast beef, chicken, fish, I eat the lot because it's very tasty.
I eat veg too.
But meat is a part of a healthy diet and it's not just necessery but it's a necesity, when you only eat veg you are not getting everything your body needs, as in the fats and what not.

A nice juicy sirloin steak does me any day...

[edit on 27-1-2007 by chris01621]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Mongo like meat! MUST EAT MEAT!

I have canine teeth! They are perfect for tearing and shreding meat!

Besides I don't only eat meat I like everything being an omnivore that I am.

But there is nothing wrong with being a vegitarian.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Some people will see this picture as a pretty animal, but I see it as a meal.

I've seen both sides of the coin, and I've subsisted on a vegetarian diet in the past. (not by choice)
I consider humans to be omnivorous, and as such we should avail ourselves of everything we find palatable. I think this trait of being able to eat almost anything has contributed to our success as a species and put us at the top of the food chain.

Do you think we would have gotten this far without being able to consume almost every plant or animal we see ?

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Yes, it's a strange topic to appear out of the blue.

I have to admit that I started this thread because of a class I'm taking - Ethics & Animals.

I keep reading these papers and essays refuting various reasons for eating meat, or eating vegetables...

But, these essays are written by people who are (seemingly) one step removed from the equation - they've studied and thought and talked with their peers, and then write these essays which, in the end, preach to the choir.

So, my intent is to return to people who don't read these essays, or automatically agree with them, and find out for myself what the reasons were for one choice of diet or the other.

I guess you could call it field research, except I'm not motivated to write a paper or anything.

I'm just curious!

Anxiety - That cow looks pissed off... (I would be too if I had to wear that headpiece!
)

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I eat meat because its satisfying to the taste. If I only eat vegtables it leaves me kind of out of gas so to speak in a short time, especially if I just eat a salad. I just haven't had much luck with it. I do bettter if I eat veggies on a regular basis with a little meat. Plus it helps to keep down the the animal population.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Burnt Offering
Plus it helps to keep down the the animal population.

I just heard South Park in my head:

We gotta thin their numbers!!

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I am a vegetarian and have been so for more then two years now. My reasons for going meatless were initially, strictly ethical. When I became educated on the goings on in today's "factory farms" I was horrified. By giving up all meat, I feel I am not contributing to this carnage. I also buy organic cruelty free diary.

In the meantime, my research has educated me on much more then the animal cruelty issue. I have learned how unhealthy today's meat and diary actually are and the health benefits of not eating them.
Check out this link for an overview on these subjects.
www.hfa.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 05:26 AM
link   
instead of some long stupid philosophical answer.

cuz it tastes hella good

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I agree with Lysergic on this one. Dead, cooked animals just taste good. How 'bout a nice flame-broiled juicy steak! Yeah!

But it has to be cooked at least to medium-well. Otherwise I feel like a savage beast.

...and pass the A-1!

I do like my veggies though, too. Especially in the summer when they are Ffrreessshhhhh!

[edit on 1/28/2007 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 06:56 AM
link   
I eat meat because it's a habit that is hard to break. I mean who wouldn't want a full rack of ribs done Memphis or Kansas City style?

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Wow, I really thought there would be more than one vegitarian expressing their dislike for killing animals to eat, and the one that is one here is extremely polite.
I was really hoping to see a full scale veggy vs meaty war...

[edit on 2-2-2007 by chris01621]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   
I have to agree with the other posters. Because it tastes good, and is very satisfying.
Yep nothing like firing up the old grill and throwin' some MEAT on it!
And man when you make a real meatball, you use ground Beef, Pork, and Veal, and mix it all together. Man! One sandwich, and 3 dead animals! Now that's eatin'!

Plus, I'm higher up on the food chain, what can I say?

new topics

top topics

join