It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Question About the Human Anatomy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I noticed this while in the show. Why does underarm hair's desired position to settle upward? like i dunno how to explain it, but (guys (i hope) lol) look at your underarm hair. it kinda sticks out straight, and if you try to lay it down, it pops back up, it wants to lay down aiming toward your shoulder, not your hip, i guess i could put it. Anyhow i hope my explanation was clear enough for someone to undertand.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Err... Odd question, but at ATS we try to help so....OK... Look at it this way...

What is the natural position of your arm? Generally, most of the time your arm is hanging down by your side. When you lift your arm up high, as when you were looking at it in the shower, you are stretching the skin in your underarm and thus causing the hair to stand. Generally, your arm is by your side and the hair IS pointing downwards towards your hip.

Does that answer your question?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Yes strange question...but I guess I'm game. I just looked at mine in the mirror and the ones above the pit point to the elbow and the ones down towards the hip.

I think they're there to provide a sort of lubrication so you don't chaff your armpits. I don't know if the apparant direction of them when you have your arm up means anything.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   
My armpits look like I got Buckwheat in a headlock.....end dat' ain't otay dar Mista !!

Seriously though from a viewpoint of modern science/ evolution theory- are'nt humans actually losing hair volume in general ?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I remember our instructor on a survival course telling us that the body loses heat most rapidly through the head, the arm pits, and the crotch.
If we were overboard in the water we needed to keep our heads above water or covered, our arms clenched to our sides holding the life preserver vest, and our genitals tucked between our crossed legs.

I assume this heat loss is the reason we maintain hair in these locations, it's an evolutionary factor.

I suspect in the future humans will evolve into being almost totally hairless because we now wear clothing that cover the areas that needed this hair to retain body heat.
With the loss of hair, our expanding brains, and spending more and more time indoors, we may end up looking like this in the distant future.

top topics

join