It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Life doesn't make sense...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:18 PM
link   
TL,

Very good question. I guess it comes down to the fact that you just have to have faith in science.

Oh wait, did I just use faith and science in the same sentence? I guess I did.

Yep, for all the debating between science and religion, they both come down to the matter of faith. Neither have all the answers, they both have a lot of theories none of us can ever prove. They're both so complex that people have dedicated their entire lives to understanding them. They both give different people a certain sense of comfort. More importantly, they both have people very ignorant of the facts who believe their faith is the right one and just loooooove to argue with the other side.

If you ask me, the more I learn about science the more I seem to see the markings of some divine design in it all. It's all so perfect and so simple, it's all so beautiful, that I find it hard to believe it wasn't all intentional.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Pieces of a puzzle my friend. A two hydrogen atoms by themselves do little but just sit there and be flamable. One single oxygen atom by itself can do little and can feed a fire. Put em together and bamo you get water something that does well at puting out fires.

Thats just a simple explanation of how combinations of atoms make things. We as a multicelular organism have lots of diffrent combinations of atoms wedged together to make something so cool. Biologicly, techilogicly, quanumly, (is that a word?) We are a awesome cool mix of great things. And therefore we think, not a single atom thinks (well maybe they do I don't know I havent asked an atom what they think about) But I digress.

posted on Jan, 29 2007 @ 09:33 PM
link   
in the theory of everything we are all part of the same system it is god and the devil, good and evil living in harmony nothing really matter at the same time everything matters basically its 2 seprate dimensions sharing the same space in this the 3rd dimension is created. a drawing is one dimensional, reality is 3 dimensional the dream state is 4th dimensional no one can quite explain or visually reproduce what the 5th dimension looks like if there you are capabile of projection things in the fifth dimension your are not classified as human

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Interesting thread. It's travelled a bit from the original question. Just to bring it back by answering that: perhaps there only seems to be a mystery because we think there's something special about 'life'. There isn't; life is just matter organized a certain way. It's just all the religious propaganda we've swallowed that makes us think otherwise.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 03:27 AM
link   
a kingdom divided against itself will fall ...

a body that has no order will not be a body...

You raise an excellent question and not a question just anyone can give a concrete answer to.

But "I" "think" lol, that since everything alive has a conciousness to some degree (especially the different parts of our body, even the atomic scale) then they would know that they are in a particular "configuration".... and that to survive (or self-preserve) it must serve a purpose, so it adapts to its surroundings and helps do its part...

I'm not sure how to explain this on every level...

But I try to think of it this way

All our cells, our liver cells, our skin cells, nail/hair cells, bone cells, marrow cells, etc etc... they all have a purpose and function... and they all do that, and they all report to different cells in the body, they all interact in various ways, getting what they need/require from the other cells, etc..
But even within the body a system of government is set up, a precise government too, where each group of people send their information to the brain cells, very unique, and important... through the nervous system, in different "pulses" of data... all going to the brain, where its categorized, filtered and slipped into consciousness according to need/requirements/priority and then another part of our "mind" and being comes into play... the "decider" the "judge" the "delegate"
and then we decide what to do with the information presented to us from our nervous system, and we create different responses according to our past interactions with similar data, or we bring the old patterns and create new ways of perceiving that data, (since all data is generally the same), its either an auditory, visual, kinesthetic experience, just to varying degrees.

So our body is a prime example of how the world "SHOULD" be working... each cell "doin' there thang" and contributing what they have to benefit the rest.
Although it gets much more complicated than that... I'm sure you get the idea that I was trying to put forth.

[edit on 1/30/2007 by PuRe EnErGy]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Interesting topic

I read the responses and to sum it up, science doesn't know. This is the materialist conundrum. They don't even know what over 90% of the universe is made of. They don't know what dark energy and dark matter is. You can read the magazine Scientific American each month and find a different theory from Loop Quantum Gravity to Black Hole Computers.

I think religion has the answer to the question and that's God. I think you can say God is the absence of uncertainty. See, uncertainty = consciousness. When you are uncertain about things then you are conscious of them and this occurs because of decoherence. When you are unconscious then you are aware. This is why most near death experiences talk about becoming aware as they left consciousness. In Awareness there is no uncertainty. Awareness had to enter a decohered vessel like the human body in order to experience itself.

We know from quantum mechanics that these states exist. At Plancks's constant, there's no uncertainty because everything becomes one as many in religious and spiritual circles have been saying for years. This means God would be everywhere. This also means God would be all powerful because he would control uncertainty. Also, God would be all knowing because of lack of uncertainty. Science has shown that these states exist. These states fit what has been called God throughout the years. I think as material beings we can only dip our toe in the vast waters of knowledge about the universe. When a man recognizes his true nature, he can connect with this Awareness and experience the fullness of Creation.

Thank You, Lord Jesus!!

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by whatukno
Pieces of a puzzle my friend. A two hydrogen atoms by themselves do little but just sit there and be flamable. One single oxygen atom by itself can do little and can feed a fire. Put em together and bamo you get water something that does well at puting out fires.

No, that is incorrect. Both hydrogen and oxygen are diatomic, it would take twice as much diatomic hydrogen as oxygen in this case to produce water.

with coeffecients as moleculs it would look something like this:

2H2 + O2 > 2H2O

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I think we are off topic, so what makes us stay in one pice?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
I think we are off topic, so what makes us stay in one pice?

You might check this out for a relatively concise explanation. Four Fundamental Interactions.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert

Originally posted by TheBandit795
What if consciousness creates matter, and not the other way around??

Hmmmmm, consciousness as in Consciousness, God? Well, sounds like the ancient Creation Story to me.

Uhmm.... Nope that's definately not what I mean. But that's another thread topic.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
this may sound stupid or crazy ..whatever, but i feel that "strings" are not the mother of all theories, there is more to it and we, as an inquisitive race, will continue looking. And we will continue looking until we hit that singularity and that singularity will be God!

Wow...my intimidation to post is wearing off tonight! lol =)

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TL

Originally posted by shrunkensimon

Originally posted by TL
How do atoms, non-living spheres, or strings, tiny pieces of energy..... make a thinking, moving thing? That's like putting trillions of solid wooden balls, and expecting them to start moving to make cells and thinking after awhile. We are just a bunch of strings or solid spheres moving. How is that possible? How are the balls or strings thinking?

[edit on 26-1-2007 by TL]

[edit on 26-1-2007 by TL]

Solid little spheres? No offense, but how old are you? Atoms are not solid little spheres, that is just the textbook drawing of an atom. Atoms are mainly empty space.

You missed my point. It doesn't matter what they look like. They are still not living.

Think of it like a basketball, most of a basketball is air, atoms are just a outer "shell" with the rest of the inside being empty.

Also remember atoms never touch each other, kinda makes you wonder how everything is being held together. And on top of that, we are mostly empty space. Heck, we might as well say that most of the universe is empty space if you think about it. In my opinion, I find it very unlikely that matter alone gives rise to consciousness, just think about it, we are mostly made up of nothing.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehumbleoneSolid little spheres? No offense, but how old are you? Atoms are not solid little spheres, that is just the textbook drawing of an atom. Atoms are mainly empty space.

He may have point though yet, no one has actually seen an atom.

Think of it like a basketball, most of a basketball is air, atoms are just a outer "shell" with the rest of the inside being empty.

No, the inside of a basketball is filled with air, under a given pressure to allow the basketball to be used properly for its intended purpose

Also remember atoms never touch each other, kinda makes you wonder how everything is being held together.

Collision Theory states molecules/atoms must collide in order to react. Everything is held together by either ionic, metallic or covalent bond.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

No, the inside of a basketball is filled with air, under a given pressure to allow the basketball to be used properly for its intended purpose

You misunderstood, i was simply getting at the fact that there is nothing inside the basketball, just like an atom

Collision Theory states molecules/atoms must collide in order to react. Everything is held together by either ionic, metallic or covalent bond.

Collision theory only deals with chemical reactions, I've never heard atoms mentioned in collision theory.

There is only electromagnetic force between electrons, they never touch, there is always space in between.

Here is an explanation why atoms never touch. source

[edit on 30-1-2007 by thehumbleone]

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Interesting...

What we think is created.

I do not follow this philosophy, if we werent around then all the universe would still be.

Of course this is the conundrum a thinking race goes through. We are trying to figure it out how it all fits together and makes sense. The problem with that is we come up with the words and we think they mean something. The "atom" is a word that represents a particle of immense smallness, the word it self is just a vibration in the air and a spark between our synapses; how could that be something that would make sense ?

I do think words can be used to solve this but there must be another
labeling schema to understand it. I also believe that once we find this
"other way to look at things" then everything will change. Its like the butter
in the fridge, you go crazy looking everywhere for it, moving soda bottles and checking the draws, but its always been right in front of you.

right now, we are looking at it like an engine, we are taking it apart (atoms)
and seeing what makes it tic. Taking apart an engine is not going to make
you understand the principle of how the oxygen and hydrocarbons ignite, or
how a piece of metal with an invisible field, which it just happens to have,
passes by a coil of copper,set at a right angle, and causes electrons in the
wire to move. These are theories and ideas that are observed and used to
our benefit, just like moving water. Which (gravity) by the way is still unexplainable.

Hence, we will never understand using this train of thought, we will just
continue to observe, label and use...but never understand.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Atoms do not need to be alive in order to make living things tick. We are something more than the sum of our atoms: we are machines.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
check out m-theory (membrane-theory) [To help you with the string theory stuff)
It'll intrigue you for sure..

The thing you guys are forgetting here is that nothing and something are the same coin... just different sides... those atoms pop in and out of existence on a regular basis. Aside from that, they're more like a thought than they are an actual solid thing. Its as if everything is a "pulse" (which it is)
Things may appear to have solidity but upon CLOSE inspection things "move" out of your way(existence temporarily) so you can inspect another aspect of it. (Interesting!)

M-theory is VERY cool, because it explains things as two membranes "colliding" in various places along the membrane (very simplified description I know)
the cool part is observing how the brain functions with its different hemispheres and electrical current that passes from one hemisphere to the other.. from the creative/imaginative to the logic/reason hemisphere..

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by R3KR
Interesting...

I do not follow this philosophy, if we werent around then all the universe would still be.

Ah, this goes back to that old philosophical argument that asks
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear the tree fall, did it make a sound?

What do you think? If no one was there to hear the tree fall, did it make a sound?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
the answer is water...plain simple water.

first lets understand what water is- it is not a liquid(of conventional thought).

scientifically its classed as a liquid, but its is a distortion/phenomenon created by a unity between two hydrogen and one oxygen.

the three gravity fields/electromagnetic fields create an illusion of form. this form is called liquid. with this form other minerals become trapped(within its unified field) and take shape.

minerals are obtain through consumption. consumption is obtain through osmosis.

at this point a one cell organism has form and can be held together. with the combination of a perpetual source of electricity, it can develop behavior. first starting in basic fashion- chemical reactions then to more complex reactions(reflexes)

through the study of evolution the rest can be discovered.

thought is an evolutionary achievement, im not going to claim i know all there is to know about thought. but i do know certain minerals are necessary in order for them to take hold. iron, sodium, and forms of fatty tissue are afew that are required.

Originally posted by thehumbleone

Originally posted by R3KR
Interesting...

Ah, this goes back to that old philosophical argument that asks
If a tree falls in a forest and no one is there to hear the tree fall, did it make a sound?

What do you think? If no one was there to hear the tree fall, did it make a sound?

i know your being philosophical here but.....

the answer is yes it does indeed make a noise/sound when it falls.

movement is a vibration, a vibration is a sound.

becuase we accept the tree to be moving, we accept it makes a vibration. and becuase of that we must say it has a sound.

[edit on 1/2/07 by Glyph_D]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Let's look at it this way. Everyone is bunching together two seperate discussion.

Nature/Spirit

Our physicals bodies are no more magnificaint than any other creature on this earth, except that humans have developed into an ego-subconcious.

If a horse is outside its stable in the rain. The horse may think, "This sucks. I hate this."

The horse doesn't think, "Why am I out here? What did I do to deserve this? Will I be out here again tomorrow?"

There is a natural purpose on this earth, and there is also a spiritual purpose. Most get lost in the physical purposes of their realities. All answers are locked within, blinded by your life's false indoctrinations.

We must first unlearn before we can expect to learn.

If you want to understand how our physical bodies are molecularly constructed look into biology and organic chemistry. It is proven that the smallest ameoba is born with an inate intellence to perform its task, times this by infinity and heisenbergs uncertainty principal and there you have it, humans.

Our bodies are containers for our spirit. The divine has locked each developing spark within each container to develope accordingly. It is conscious energy that drives our spirit. While it is natural laws that drive our bodies.

AAC

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join