It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where do you think Atlantis is or was?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Every month or so I see a new special thats suppost to unvail Atlantis.

1. One was that most of the Atlantic used to be Atlantis. From Bimini road in the Bahama's all the way to near Europe.

2. One was that North America was once the home of Atlantis and that there main hub in NA crumbled in a tidal wave.

3. Santarini (was Thera) - were a volcano did destroy an ancient civilization around 1600-1550 BC, it deposited 100 ft of volcanic ash on everybody real quick.

4. An underground shelf, not yet named. Between Cypress and Syria

5. The Mediterranean

6. Some where near Eygpt

From what I understate Plato says that: Atlantis was outside the Pillars of Hercules, had concentric rings of land and water. Double walled canals, with the Temple to Persidian in the middle. It was close enough to Athens to wage a sea war. There colors were red, black and white. They had hot and cold running water. Worshipped Bulls and had major festivals were their major sport stars would trying and flip over a charging bull. They were a society of free thinkers, who had free reign to go anywhere in their country.

With all these different answers to the same question I was wondering if anybody else had some answers, or thoughts

www.activemind.com...

[edit on 26-1-2007 by Royal76]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Never existed ...confusion of another city with the same qualities.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

its been discussed already

[edit on 27-1-2007 by lemox]

[edit on 27-1-2007 by lemox]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
i went back over the older threads. one theory my eye did not catch was Antartica.

there is much evidence that antartica was once inhabitable, say roughly 10,500 years aro as most recent, but probably more like 12,500.
it has rivers and mountain ranges similar to those described my the old thinkers.
i can provide more info in this subject, but since it is lengthy, i will not unless requested.

if not antartica, my only other thoery would be that atlantis was a catch-all name applied to a global culture that existed long ago.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Well, from the description plato gives, it sounds alot like the minoans. This would make since since I think the minoan civilization came to an end after a volcanop erupted, im not too sure. I think the description fits the minoans.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm with Stewart on this one. Clearly, the Piri Reis Map is close to indesputable proof that people with unexplainably advanced skills were able to not only map Antarctica but were able to survive getting there to do it in the first place. If Antarctica was at one time more temperate (without melting all the polar ice which would have caused unprecidented sea levels) it must have been located closer to the current equator. If the planet (or its crust) had shifted over the years that would make sense. It would also correlate with some of the archeological climate anomalies discovered over the years.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 02:24 PM
link   
You hear a lot about Atlantis, but I never hear too much about MU, which is older than Atlantis.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
It's a tale written by Plato.

If it was a popular legend (like Troy), they would have had this same legend in other lands. They don't.

Originally posted by Royal76
From what I understate Plato says that: Atlantis was outside the Pillars of Hercules, had concentric rings of land and water. Double walled canals, with the Temple to Persidian in the middle.

That's correct.

It was close enough to Athens to wage a sea war.

A war... not a sea war. Close enough that they could sail to Athens, though.

There colors were red, black and white.

I don't know that he said that.

[quote[They had hot and cold running water. Worshipped Bulls and had major festivals were their major sport stars would trying and flip over a charging bull. They were a society of free thinkers, who had free reign to go anywhere in their country.
I don't know where that came from, but Plato didn't say any of that. Seems to be confusing Minos with Atlantis.

I still think the best evidence shows it's just a tale (like "Harry Potter.")

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In the imagination of Plato. Same thing with Moo... in somebodies imagination.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover

you beat me to it
there is no atlantis
sure, it may have had some sort of inspiration
HOWEVER
there probably was no super-advanced early civilization with the technoligical capacity some attribute to atlantis

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It is the old golden age myth. I have read Plato and what he describes is not some super advanced civilization but pretty typical of the late bronze age/early iron age civilizations, organized around temples to the Gods and aggressive. If there was an inspiration, there are plenty of failed and fallen civilizations to chose from... most likely though it was the Minoian culture and its collapse after the Thera eruption.

There is another far more facinating possiblity... it has pretty much been proven that around 7,000/6500 BC, in other words the late neolithic... the melting of the glaciers caused the sea levels to rise (yes it happens to those of you who doubt such things
:@@
and the as the level of the Mediterranean rose the waters breached what is now the Borphorus into what is now the sea of Mamara and then the Dardanelles (I can never remember which comes first) creating a 600 foot water fall into the basin of what was then a much smaller (2/3 smaller) fresh water lake (fed by the Danube, the Don, the Diniper etc) creating the black sea.

The Black sea has several unusual characteristics... one of which is that it is all but sterile being oxygen starved, and it has 2 currents, an outgoing fresh water current and a salty incoming current... in the old days mariners wanting to enter the Black sea would lower a large rock or plate down into the lower current and it would pull them up against the outflowing upper current.

There have been found quite a few neolithic ruins, below sea level, down to the depth of a couple hundred feet and it has been speculated that the culture that thrived in that basin before the flood was the origin of the flood myth, possibly the Atlantis myth and the homeland of the people who spread out the Indo/European languages.

I find the subject facinating.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   

There is another far more facinating possiblity... it has pretty much been proven that around 7,000/6500 BC, in other words the late neolithic...

the ice age ended around 9500bce
the late neolithic was the period that immediately preceeded the bronze age
the bronze age began in 3600bce in mesopotamia
the black sea flood theory has been debunked besides which
the flood story that you know today is derived from the mesopotamian flood stories which the hebrews picked up while they were slaves there
and the Sumerians never lived on the shores of the black sea
nin addition no neolithic ruins have been found under the waters of the black sea
iirc the closest they got was to having some anomalous side scan sonar readings which could have been anything but a neolithic site

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Before Troy was descovered everyone believe that there was no Troy and Homer was a fiction story teller, as today we say there is no Atlandis and Plato is a fiction story teller. Heinrich Schliemann is the one who descovered Troy and the sceptics closed their mouth off. History repeats itself so no big words. Atlandis will be found... and people will see that Plato told the truth.

[edit on 28-1-2007 by Dragonlike]

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Its Antarctica, so ive heard, and the poles are supose to shift to the point where it will melt ice ontop of the lower land all the way underneath, and if thats true i would asume the polar caps would be somewhere around the northern parts of the US. idk just what i heard. but its then that Atlantis would be revieled, bigger then Asia...and in the middle of the Atlantic..i would guess antarctica anways. what you guys think of it?
.:Kiliker:.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Well, here is my opinion:

Antarctica, of course

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Marduk

There is another far more facinating possiblity... it has pretty much been proven that around 7,000/6500 BC, in other words the late neolithic...

the ice age ended around 9500bce
the late neolithic was the period that immediately preceeded the bronze age
the bronze age began in 3600bce in mesopotamia
the black sea flood theory has been debunked besides which
the flood story that you know today is derived from the mesopotamian flood stories which the hebrews picked up while they were slaves there
and the Sumerians never lived on the shores of the black sea
nin addition no neolithic ruins have been found under the waters of the black sea
iirc the closest they got was to having some anomalous side scan sonar readings which could have been anything but a neolithic site

And pray tell me where can I find that it has been debunked?

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Ryan and Pitman who came up with the idea presented a hypothesis
to this day it is still an unproven one

Although the scientific discussion is still continuing, the support for the theory of a catastrophic flood as hypothesized by Ryan and Pitman has substantially eroded in recent years, especially in light of the Russian data that has been made available in the 2006 volume on the topic.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
antarctica, because when atlantis existed 12,000 years ago, not all of antarctica covered in ice, the ice age up north was sucking all of the water from the ocean and the sea level dropped exposing more of antarctica.
it could also be that big old continent in the middle of the atlantic ever notice how atlantis and atlantic are only one letter apart?,
it could also be in the mediterranian, is you saw digging for the truth there are more location theories

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dragonlike

Before Troy was descovered everyone believe that there was no Troy and Homer was a fiction story teller, as today we say there is no Atlandis and Plato is a fiction story teller. Heinrich Schliemann is the one who descovered Troy and the sceptics closed their mouth off. History repeats itself so no big words. Atlandis will be found... and people will see that Plato told the truth.

EXCEPT... there were lots of stories and songs and plays in Greece about Troy. And there were lots of sculptures of the heroes of the Trojan war. So it wasn't just Homer's story, but the fact that there were a lot of stories about Troy that tend to confirm it was a real place or a known place to Greeks.

In ancient times, the only reference to Atlantis comes from Plato. After that, the "evidence" is nonexistant until a bunch of folks started having seances and drug induced trances in the 1800's and 1900's and that's where most of this comes from.

Even Piri Reis didn't say he saw Atlantis. That's the coast of South America. Antarctica has huge sheets of ice, and no... "atlantis in Antarctica" didn't "disappear beneath the waves" 3,000 years ago because if that had happened, every continent on Earth would have lost its seacoast cities to the rising water.

posted on Jan, 28 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   

In ancient times, the only reference to Atlantis comes from Plato.

Well, i cannot deny Plato's sayings unless i have to deny everything he wrote. The most mysterious thing to me is that before Plato tells us more specific information in his text ''Timaios & Kritias'' there is a missing part! Like someone cut the information. The rest of the text...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join