It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Violence related to video games

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I agree that most people relieve stress and most people have the ability to realize the difference between games and reality...

what about these kids though...
more.abcnews.go.com... ers.html

The part about them suing is dumb, but the kids...

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Wow, Nemesite..you practically copied my opening statement

They CAN increase memory, to answer that question, too. There have been studies, and certain type of games may increase your memory, actually, it is alot like using flash cards..basically the same idea..

-wD

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:30 PM
link   
As I have stated before (not here, but...),

It is a video game. It is not real. It is fantasy.

Reading that could have saved these kid all this trouble.

People that "emulate" video games are just plain stupid. It is fantasy, and therefore should be taken as that. If a someone has trouble telling the difference between fantasy and reality, they need to be checked into the nearst psychiatric ward, and fast.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I think that when someone commit a violent act, they been kindof predestined to do this. In the way that, violence may have affected their life previously, and the person probably built up anger in their-self.

Sometimes they blow a fuse and go on a rampage because something contraried 'em. Sometimes there's a "trigger" element that cause this, and unfortunatly, sometimes it's a video game, a movie or some music, figuring violence or not, it depends, but what's sad is that people who will investigate won't search further than the "trigger" element they found, and will blame it as the main cause.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrJingles
Research has shown that violence has been linked to video games. Some people say that the idea is ludicrous. Others choose to believe in this.

Here is my theory: The amount of time you spend playing violent games doesnt matter, but how young you are. What do you guys think.

That's why the ESRB rates things that are entirely too violent for young people with an M rating. The stores do their job and card, parents need to do their job and not buy M rated games for 8 year old kids. I also agree with the member who said that "anything can cause violence". I don't think that music causes violence *I've heard a lot of rap, but have yet to cap a pig or slap a ho or whatever*, but bad music can cause violent thoughts. Everytime I hear country music I think about breaking an acoustic guitar over some rednecks face and shoving his cowboy boots up his arse.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:19 PM
link   
People are just trying to find an excuse for the problems with our society today, and they blame it on video games. Even if they stop making violent video games, not much will change. People just need an excuse other than bad parenting/mental/emotional states to make themselves insured. Video games don't cause violence in people, people do. People need to stop using that as an excuse.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Well said

It might not be all the games' fault. ESRB puts M on games made for 17+ year olds, if the parents fail to understand the warning, it isn't the game company's fault for what may ensue afterward.

-wD

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
Well said

It might not be all the games' fault. ESRB puts M on games made for 17+ year olds, if the parents fail to understand the warning, it isn't the game company's fault for what may ensue afterward.

-wD

Thank you wD.

I know a lot of parents in my area who won't buy M rated games for their kids, or else they'll ask someone (usually me) to describe the gameplay and content first in order to see if their kids are mature enough to play it. I think that helps. Same goes for music, they put those little black and white labels on there for a reason.

********EDIT
Everyone should play Wolfenstein though, the classic oldschool sucky graphics version because everyone deserves the chance to destroy Nazis. That is one violent game everyone needs.

[Edited on 15-12-2003 by kaoszero]

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by gviewtwosix
People are just trying to find an excuse for the problems with our society today, and they blame it on video games. Even if they stop making violent video games, not much will change. People just need an excuse other than bad parenting/mental/emotional states to make themselves insured. Video games don't cause violence in people, people do. People need to stop using that as an excuse.

Well said

Its kinda like murdering someone for no reason and pleading insanity, give me a break. People need to start taking responsibility for their actions like stated above and stop making excuses.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Video games don't make me violent.

The thought of someone taking them away to "protect the moral fabric of our country" does.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Gotta agree with what Kaoszero said...Especially about the country music ! LMAO.....

And I agree with you too, Flinx.

Try to take my games away, and yall see how games can cause violence !hehehehehe...

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Research has shown that violence has been linked to video games. Some people say that the idea is ludicrous. Others choose to believe in this.

Here is my theory: The amount of time you spend playing violent games doesnt matter, but how young you are. What do you guys think.
This is one possible explanation out of a whole many that could contribute to violent tendencies. I think that playing violent video games would have the ability to desensitize the human mind to violence, like any other type of visual medium.

There are other psychological causes to violence, and I'm sure that killer clown dude in the united states who got the death penalty didn't play violent video games.

A violent video game would provide the path, but the propulsion to follow through comes from the individual's choice.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
Video games don't make me violent.

The thought of someone taking them away to "protect the moral fabric of our country" does.

Rock on Flinx! I agree.

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:18 PM
link   
i play games ALOT mainly shootem up games

im not vilent at all

I do agree there needs to be a age lemit but i think it needs to be changed

I think when your 14 you can handle every typ of media*

But yes, vilont medea can make tricker crazys to go "crazy" but theys crazys would just have to watch vilent movies to get the same reaction

PS:sorry for spelling/grammer

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Well,I've been into video games for many years PLUS at the same time listen to heavy metal music.The old stuff (Maiden,Ozzy,Sabbath) so I must be fudged.

Don't make me go postal OR walk into a McPukies & dust everyone...

Gimme a break,someone's always gotta take the fall or get the finger pointed at them because some kids OD'in on sugar or what ever else.
Just my thoughts

[Edited on 15-12-2003 by ubukate]

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Iam a gamer through and through and all I play are violent games. It in no way makes me violent IRL. Iam so sick of people jumping on that band wagon. Parents and people need to be responsible for their own actions and stop looking for something or someone to blame it on.

Gamers Unite!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I hardly play games but i do believe that if theres already something wrong in your head that playing a game can trigger certain responses. But the good thing is that playing computergames is also good, for your concentration and coordination, here they lett older people play just for that

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:23 AM
link   
Experiments and studies show that Games and Movies dealing with violence do attribute to those who watch and play them, especially kids. You can read the numberous amount of result data from the wide variety of experiments and it's obviously valid proof, atleast most of it, I'm sure there are a few tampered ones in there too. However, it's not as dangerous as many would like people think.

Those who think it's all just B.S. and false I think are being overly defensive even in the face of very solid data, which isn't entirely unjustified I guess. The fact is that:
1. People, especially kids, imitate what they see, hear & experience around them. ex:Kung fu after watching Jet Li or playing Mortal Combat.
2. Repeated exposure to a stimuli reduces the effect of that stimuli. ex:Blood and Guts in Doom is only cool for about the first 15min. & same goes for graphic violence in movies too.
3. Being exposed to Violence in Media does condition the person(child) to think and react in similar ways in various ways and amounts.

Like it or not this is true. The "Truth Bending" comes in when the "Experts" try and use this as Scapegoating the problems of today and Blow it out of proportion. What they usually avoid is facts like:
1. Violence seen watching News or CNN is usually more disturbing than most movies and probably any game.
2. The resulting data although conclusive is usually fairly small.
3. Most experiments involve Movies and Games need a lot more research before absolutely proven.
4. People were just as violent before Movies and Video Games as they are now, it's just now we document it more closely.
5. The major examples of influence are within subjects who are prone to violence in some way already.
....and things like that, which you can research more if interested.

The truth is folks that while Violent TV or Games may slightly add to Violent Ideas or Actions it IS NOT the cause of them. It's more like adding some Violent Sprinkles to the Violent Cake thats already there. The sprinkles may spice it up a bit but it's the cake that's the problem. Good parenting and supportive environment during development takes that cake down to a cookie. Wisdom and Compassion later on will take care of the cookie, which then makes the Sprinkles merely the insignificant crumbs that get wiped away naturally.

Some Love, Compassion, Respect and Tolerance is more than enough to withstand even the most Violent Media. It's Abusive Families, Corrupt Environment, Brainwashing Media, Murder, War, Crime, Neglect, etc. that is the real problem, not Quake, Pac Man, Mortal Kombat or Garbage Pail Kids(remember those!!).

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I am yet another person who's an avid game player since the age of 10, and I still play them today, 15 years later.

For one, violent video games are a good way to release your anger. For whatever reason, if you're angry, you just go and battle some crazy azz demons and be home in time for dinner. It's better then repressing that anger inside and letting it erupt in school.

Besides, there are many 'violent' video games that are educational. Games such as Medal of Honor, Age of Empires, Rise of Nations, teach you about history. They also show you that violence was part of human civilization since the beginning.

PS: I agree that everyone should play Wolfenstein to kick some nazi butt, but I rather do it in Medal of Honor (with the blood patch of course!).

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 07:10 AM
link   

bah, it's all a bunch of cripe!!

to quote a comic book character (leave me alone, i'm a dork): "entertainment is just that, not a means of damning yourself, and any pile of stunted growth that thinks otherwise should be doomed to some dank cell somewhere for ever having been so stupid" (allow for mistakes, i'm going on memory here) that was stated in the comic "Johnny the Homicidal Maniac" by Jhonen Vasquez.

it's true, you know? if someone so young is stupid enough to find a means of entertainment as a guideline to life, then it's a mental dissability in my mind. you don't shoot someone just because you were playing a game when you were five that had you shooting spaceships, dude, not unless you're mentally unable to see the difference between right and wrong, and on that you can either blame the parents or a genetic misshap.

*throws two cents down*

[Edited on 16-12-2003 by effigyrelease]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join