It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese State TV Bans 'Year of the Pig' Commercials to Appease Muslims

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
gs001
Have you no response for the post I made earlier in this thread, addressing you?

As for China being the most powerful nation in the world...

Time will tell.

I would hope, instead, that we stop thinking in terms of nation vs. nation and start trying to clean up the messes in our own backyards.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I feel compelled to point out my perception of the irony that the zodiac calender in my favoured chinese take away proclaims that people born under the year of the pig are cite as :

honest , intulectual , tolerant and inquisitive

[ emphesis mine ]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
gs001
Have you no response for the post I made earlier in this thread, addressing you?

I think you have known what "American style of thought" mean
by reading your compatriot's posts. not only media of autocracy
brainwash their citizen, but also media of democratic regime.
when your government wage war on Iraq at the excuse of WMD
more than 70% of US citizen believe Iraq did hide WMD and supported
the war, thanks for the very good propagand work your media did.
About China, as a Chinese, I am quite sure your impression of China
is far from the truth, but your people 100% believe what they heard,
thanks again for the very good propagand work by your media.
through this kind of propagand, "American style of thought" found.
Muslim is a .ache for the whole world, we'd better convert
them out of their evil religion(personal opinion)
Of course as an atheist, I hope all the people on this planet
get rid of any thought control by any religion.

[edit on 27-1-2007 by gs001]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes

The Jews and Christians are also forbidden from eating pork. Here is a quote from the Old Testament to that effect: "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." Deuteronomy 14:8

Hogwash. First that is the Old Testament not the new. Second ask any Catholic if they are forbidden from eating pork and they will tell you no.

In other words stop spreading false information any good catholic will tell you we are taught never to take every word in the bible old or new literally.

If I were China I certainly would not ban their use in ads.

Keep in mind China has been around long before Islam therefore their traditions should be first and foremost. Simply changing something because another group comes along centuries later does not like it is wrong and stupid.

[edit on 1/27/2007 by shots]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:15 AM
link   
That ought to grease up a mid and far eastern alliance.

I wonder if the card carrying communist party members secretly disdain Islam as much as the other religious rivals for authority.

Surely China's official exemption from religious dogma makes them disinterested strategists.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:49 AM
link   

The Jews and Christians are also forbidden from eating pork. Here is a quote from the Old Testament to that effect: "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." Deuteronomy 14:8

Many Christians believe that this verse was directed only at the Jews. But Jesus himself says during the Sermon on the Mount; "Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill."

I will actually give up eating pork this year, they are indeed quite filthy when they are no longer born or allowed to live in the wild.

Well in that time they didn't know any thing about germs and sickness and pork can carry many of these and if it's not cooked or prepared properly it can be deadly, trichinosis is one disese that you can get, and pork is the hardest meat to digest. God is aware of all these thing seeing as how he is omnipotent. He gave them the law to keep them healthy. Also, fufilling the law meant that he was to be the last sacrifice and not to farsake the prophets. and do you really think that pork is cleaner depending on where it lives? Old testament people following the law of moses didn't eat pork nomatter where it came from. Nowadays we can't be totally dependent on modern ways of cooking or harvesting of the meat to be safe but it has gotten alot safer. I enjoy bacon and porkchops but meat is not my staple of life everything should be in moderation.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Well, the reason christians are allowed to consume pork comes from chapter 15 in Matthew.

15 Then Peter said to Jesus, "Explain to us the parable that says people aren't defiled by what they eat."
16 "Don't you understand yet?" Jesus asked.17 "Anything you eat passes through the stomach and then goes into the sewer.18 But the words you speak come from the heart—that's what defiles you.19 For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander.20 These are what defile you. Eating with unwashed hands will never defile you."

So Christians were released from the dietary restrictions that had previously been upheld in Judaism.

[edit on 27-1-2007 by XphilesPhan]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I did post this part you know

Many Christians believe that this verse was directed only at the Jews. But Jesus himself says during the Sermon on the Mount; "Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." Some Christians say that, after a vision by St. Peter, God cleansed all animals and made them fit and lawful for human consumption. If ALL animals are cleansed by Peter's vision, this includes dogs, cats, vultures, and rats: but you just don't see people getting excited about a cat-meat sandwich like they do over barbecued pork or bacon. Others say that it was Paul who rescinded the law forbidding pork to humans, in order to appease the Romans, who enjoyed the taste of pig-meat. Many excuses have been given, but none are very sound.

I was only citing some exampes here, that are actually FACT! It is in the book, and therefore is a fact. Just because it was edited later in time to suit the desires of a certain group of people does not take away the fact that it is in the book. Confucians are also forbidden from it.

And besides pigs, Beef is strictly a forbidden meat in Hindu religion. I mean wow, I even found a Hindu fanatic extremist on this website here

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Well, the reason christians are allowed to consume pork comes from chapter 15 in Matthew.

This is to say that nothing a person eats will make them sick, give them a virus/bacteria/parasite, or make them "unclean"?

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   

I was only citing some exampes here, that are actually FACT! It is in the book, and therefore is a fact.

No it is not a fact. At least too Catholics it is not. We are taught never to take every world literally as you seem to think, Unlike other religions individuals we are allowed to make our own interpretation of the meaning.

All the Bible is just a history book with many myths/legions which ones you believe is up to you.

I am trying to figure out what this has to do with the topic though, are you trying to make a point here or divert the actual topic of the thread?

[edit on 1/27/2007 by shots]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo

WHOA easy D-bag, I never said I knew everything.
That was MY OPINION. Freedom of speech is a b*tch isnt it. Something that you havent quite caught the concept of yet. Anyways why go on lecturing me about the PRC and one child policy, BLAH BLAH BLAH?

Your of course entitled to your own opinion; but your speaking as if minorities are being OPPRESSED in China when in reality they have MANY benefits that the majority would only dream of having. Your view is wrong and IGNORANT. This is ATS, we're here to deny that, am I right?

Are the chinese ppl not suppressed by there own government? Can they speak out about their government freely without being thrown in prison or worse?

You've obviously never been to China... Of course you can't go on the street parading holding signs saying the gov't is evil, but regular chat no one gives a crap. I went there and said Mao was an idiot, DID I GET THROWN INTO JAIL? The people there just laughed and agreed. It isn't what it used to be in the 60s, most Westerners fail to realize that.

How about the poor tibetans who risk life and limb just so they can go to india to see dali llama? Why does the chinese government see it fit to kill these innocent ppl who are just trecking onward to see the dali llama?
www.youtube.com...

Haha, you'ev obviously never heard speeches from the Dalai Lama quote: "Tibet needs China." And you obviously have never read this from the Washington Post:

". . . few Tibetans would welcome a return of the corrupt aristocratic clans that fled with him in 1959 and that comprise the bulk of his advisers. Many Tibetan farmers, for example, have no interest in surrendering the land they gained during China's land reform to the clans. Tibet's former slaves say they, too, don't want their former masters to return to power.
"I've already lived that life once before," said Wangchuk, a 67-year-old former slave who was wearing his best clothes for his yearly pilgrimage to Shigatse, one of the holiest sites of Tibetan Buddhism. He said he worshipped the Dalai Lama, but added, "I may not be free under Chinese communism, but I am better off than when I was a slave." "

IN MY OPINION (because we are still allowed to have those) the whole pig fiasco is nothing more then a big show put on by the chinese government.

You've got to be kiddin me... DID ANY Western News media report this? Do you see it all over Western news? NO. So, minorities being exempt from one-child policy, is that for show too? How many westerners even KNEW that minorities in China were exempt, you obviously didn't. How about affirmative action for minorities in China? How many westerners do you think know about that? Was that for show? Give me a break....

But thats if you dont mind living off of $1-$2 a day like many peasant farmers in china do. All 1,000,000,000 of them.

LOL, you think there are one billion Chinese peasants? THIS IS EXACTLY IT! THIS IS ALL THE IGNORANCE I WAS TALKING ABOUT. DOES ANYONE ELSE NOT SEE? "BILLION POOR PEASANTS." Talk about ignorance... China's poverty rate is less than 10%. In only a few years, it droped from 17% - 10%, with the World Bank congratulating the gov't for actually accomplishing such an extraodinary feat. Western Ignorance of Asia NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Anyways, like I already said its my opinion. And theres not a goddammed thing you can do about it.

It's a goddamn wrong and ignorant picture you have of the PRC.... but hey, live in your bubble of ignorance...

Owned?

[edit on 27-1-2007 by k4rupt]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt
Your of course entitled to your own opinion; but your speaking as if minorities are being OPPRESSED in China when in reality they have MANY benefits that the majority would only dream of having. Your view is wrong and IGNORANT. This is ATS, we're here to deny that, am I right?

Its only ignorant to you. You have an unfair advantage though, Ms. Cleo.

However your under the mistaken impression that I was referencing the minority when I wasnt. I was talking about china in a GENERAL term.
So where did I say the minoritys were the only ones being oppressed in china?

PS. Perhaps it isnt the ignorance of the poster (me), but the ignorance of the person (you) who is misinterpreting the posts?

You've obviously never been to China... Of course you can't go on the street parading holding signs saying the gov't is evil, but regular chat no one gives a crap. I went there and said Mao was an idiot, DID I GET THROWN INTO JAIL? The people there just laughed and agreed. It isn't what it used to be in the 60s, most Westerners fail to realize that.

Me personally? Nope. Why would I have a reason to go there in the first place? I care to much about my health.

What, im supposed to believe you've seen all of china? Lets get a few things straight here. When you visit china are you going to visit the poor slums? No your going to the big cities china has to offer. (which are cheaply constructed)

Haha, you'ev obviously never heard speeches from the Dalai Lama quote: "Tibet needs China." And you obviously have never read this from the Washington Post:

HAHAHAHAHA? NOPE! Guess not. But that somehow makes it alright for the chinese government to kill these innocent ppl just because they want to see the dalai lama?

". . . few Tibetans would welcome a return of the corrupt aristocratic clans that fled with him in 1959 and that comprise the bulk of his advisers. Many Tibetan farmers, for example, have no interest in surrendering the land they gained during China's land reform to the clans. Tibet's former slaves say they, too, don't want their former masters to return to power.
"I've already lived that life once before," said Wangchuk, a 67-year-old former slave who was wearing his best clothes for his yearly pilgrimage to Shigatse, one of the holiest sites of Tibetan Buddhism. He said he worshipped the Dalai Lama, but added, "I may not be free under Chinese communism, but I am better off than when I was a slave." "

So the alternative of being a slave is being a dead man? Nice one china!

You've got to be kiddin me... DID ANY Western News media report this? Do you see it all over Western news? NO. So, minorities being exempt from one-child policy, is that for show too? How many westerners even KNEW that minorities in China were exempt, you obviously didn't. How about affirmative action for minorities in China? How many westerners do you think know about that? Was that for show? Give me a break....

Your right, I didnt know that minoritys were 'exempt' in china. How does that help the eniter populace? How do I know your not spouting regurgitated communist propaganda?

LOL, you think there are one billion Chinese peasants? THIS IS EXACTLY IT! THIS IS ALL THE IGNORANCE I WAS TALKING ABOUT. DOES ANYONE ELSE NOT SEE? "BILLION POOR PEASANTS." Talk about ignorance... China's poverty rate is less than 10%. In only a few years, it droped from 17% - 10%, with the World Bank congratulating the gov't for actually accomplishing such an extraodinary feat. Western Ignorance of Asia NEVER ceases to amaze me.

Well love, that is one of the estimates with the lower one being 765,000,000 impoverished chinese who live off of a dollar to two dollars a day.

It's a goddamn wrong and ignorant picture you have of the PRC.... but hey, live in your bubble of ignorance...

Alright cupcake, my 'bubble of ignorance'?
Jesus you ppl are on a whole different level of smack its not even funny. Well it is.. Anyways. Did I ever claim to know everything about china? No I didnt perhaps you didnt catch me saying (for the 8th time) it was "MY OPINION"?!

Someone drank the china juice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Owned?

Only in your wet dreams.

[edit on 053131p://2401pm by semperfoo]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
LOL! Wow, great arguments semper...

Re-read what you wrote, completely ignored my arguments and attacked with my ignorant B.S. Seriously, get out of your bubble... I gave you facts and you fight back with more of your miconceived notions of what China really is.

You obviously don't know jack about China, sounded surprised when given facts AND ACTUALLY called those facts "communist propaganda." How the hell can you talk about CHina like you know everything about it when you even admitted you've never been there and know NOTHING.

Spread more ignorant, biased, b.s. semper... theres not enough of that going around about the PRC.... sigh.

Hey, what more can I expect from a westerner?

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Let's can the attitude folks. This is the News Network.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Your right, I didnt know that minoritys were 'exempt' in china. How does that help the eniter populace? How do I know your not spouting regurgitated communist propaganda?

I never said it helped the entire populace. You said banning pigs on TV was only FOR SHOW. You stated that China was only doing so as to make it look like minorities weren't being oppressed. SO I OBVIOUSLY owned that by giving you facts of what life for minorities is like in China... WOW. Owned?

And where the hell did you get that 700+ million Chinese live off a dollar a day?

According to the CIA World Factbook, 10% of Chinese citizens live under the poverty level which amounts to 130 million people.

More b.s. semper?

LOL, what a pathetic argument. Not all former Tibetan slaves DIED. Wow, how old are you? And how can that be communist propaganda when THE WASHINGTON TIMES posted it.

HAHAHAHAHA? NOPE! Guess not. But that somehow makes it alright for the chinese government to kill these innocent ppl just because they want to see the dalai lama?

I never said it was alright... clearly you react as a five year old to that - Dalai Lama, leader and god of the Tibetans stating that Tibet needs China.

I think this owned you.... right here. The Dalai Lama owned you, LOL!

Semper, I don't want you to listen to it, please, by all means keep living in your bubble of ignorance.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Still here?
k4rupt. Your a *swell guy*.
You really shouldnt flatter yourself. You obviously missed all my points by dismissing them entirely. Or taking half of what I said and running with it. Its also quite obvious that you *are very excited* for the communist PRC. Better go take that cold shower. Good luck with that.

Mod Edit: play Nice Please

[edit on 1/27/07 by FredT]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I am schedule to visit Tibet on March this year.
I will see with my own eyes how tibetan be oppressed, jailed, tortured,
massacred and if their religion be destroyed ..etc.
restriction? yes, I believe the only restreiction for me to fulfill
my trip is it's too hard to get a ticket.
when the railway project link Tibet to rest of China completed, every
train to Tibet full of passenger and the message on call-board in
ticket office is always "no ticket"
Maybe in March, after lunar new year, the number of tourists will shrink.
Any Americans who want to witness "tragedy" in Tibet can go with me.
the ticket is not so expensive, Beijing to Lhasa(capital of Tibet)
about 50 USD(of course if you want to own a bed on train the cost
will double).

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
China is playing nice and want to stem any hint of internal unrest with the upcomming Olympics placing them on the world stage.

However, the apeasment thing is getting out of hand. Remember many politicos tried to "appease" Hilter too and we all know how well that worked out.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
China is playing nice and want to stem any hint of internal unrest with the upcomming Olympics placing them on the world stage.

However, the apeasment thing is getting out of hand. Remember many politicos tried to "appease" Hilter too and we all know how well that worked out.

Corretamundo.
good for you!

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
Still here?
k4rupt. Your a moron.
You really shouldnt flatter yourself. You obviously missed all my points by dismissing them entirely. Or taking half of what I said and running with it. Its also quite obvious that you have a hard on for the communist PRC. Better go take that cold shower. Good luck with that.

LOL, me, dismissing your points? YOU KIDDIN ME RIGHT? Let me see... ahh, shall I bring up some "arguments" of yours?

When I told you Dalai Lama stated: TIBET NEEDS CHINA.

You laughed and brought up an irrelevatn topic. GREAT!

When I showed you a Washington Times Post article stating that Tibetan peasants are better under China, you come up with this ridiculous little statement that a five year old knows is moronic.

Me personally? Nope. Why would I have a reason to go there in the first place? I care to much about my health.

When I stated you obviously are very ignorant of China and have no right to spread ignorant, biased, b.s.

This when you said China was trying to seem as if it's minorities were being treated unfairly, WHICH I DEBUNKED and thus you go on spewing on something completely different - the entire populace when we were discussing minortiies. LOL!

Well love, that is one of the estimates with the lower one being 765,000,000 impoverished chinese who live off of a dollar to two dollars a day.

Didn't I completely debunk this CMOPLETELY WRONG info by showing you the CIA WOrld Factbook, Captain Jack Sparrow? Yes, I believe I did.

I DEBUNKED AND OWNED all of your ignorant statements semper... looks lke YOU were the one that ignored my arguments.

OWNED!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join