It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese State TV Bans 'Year of the Pig' Commercials to Appease Muslims

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
According to the Chinese calendar, the next lunar year beginning in February will be the "year of the pig." However, corporations wishing to use pig themes in their television ads during the holiday will be turned away by China's state owned television network, according to a report in The Wall Street Journal. The ban on the pig images is said to be needed to be "sensitive" to the nation's small Muslim community.

www.foxnews.com
SHANGHAI — Companies looking to reach China's consumer market with pig images during Year of the Pig celebrations next month will have to adjust after a national television network adopted a policy to be sensitive to the country's small Muslim population, according to published reports.

China Central Television said it would ban all verbal and visual pork references from advertisements during Lunar New Year celebrations next month, the Wall Street Journal reported. This week, the network banned a TV ad from Nestle SA featuring a smiling cartoon pig and the message, "Happy new pig year."

CCTV's ad department said the regulations are intended to avoid offending Muslims, who consider pigs unclean animals. China's 20 million Muslims comprise less than 2 percent of the population, the Journal reported.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

China must be truly afraid of its Muslim minority since they don't seem to show any "sensivitity" to ther minorities, such as the Falun Gong.

I wonder if they'll just eventually drop the "year of the pig" off their calendar all together.

Related News Links:
The Wall Street Journal -- Subscription required to view entire article

[edit on 1/26/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 2007/1/26 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
That's because Falun Gong isn't a minority - it's a cult.

I don't think the Chinese are afraid of Muslims per sae... China is TOO APPEASING of it's minorities. Minorities in CHina aren't subject to the one-child policy, they have similar benefits such as AA in the U.S. except it's much more extreme and makes AA look like cake, and they for some stupidly odd reason often get LESS punished than the Han majority if they committed crimes.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
What is AA?

Alcoholics Anonymous?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I don't think they can drop off an animal year

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
I postd the very same story last night in current events and it never got a nibble.

China Bans Year of the Pig Ads - Have They Gone Bonkers?

I Guess next time I should submit it as news which I did not really think it warranted,

[edit on 1/26/2007 by shots]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
China is an atheist Country, its a key factor of Communism. Take a look at what they have done to Catholics and other Christians in China.

I would not believe this at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
And people say the Chinese aren't becoming more American everyday. I thought only the US would sensor something that important to their way of life to satisfy a small group.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:43 PM
link   
AA is Affirmative Action...

China is an atheist Country, its a key factor of Communism. Take a look at what they have done to Catholics and other Christians in China.

I would not believe this at all.

It's officially atheist, but that doesn't mean they force everyone to be atheist... They allow stateowned churches.

You don't have to believe this... because it's true - they banned the pigs on tv. What is there to believe?

[edit on 26-1-2007 by k4rupt]

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
China must be truly afraid of its Muslim minority since they don't seem to show any "sensivitity" to ther minorities, such as the Falun Gong.

I wonder if they'll just eventually drop the "year of the pig" off their calendar all together.

Related News Links:
The Wall Street Journal -- Subscription required to view entire article

[edit on 1/26/2007 by djohnsto77]

[edit on 2007/1/26 by Hellmutt]

interesting
Every news from China can get negative interpretion by Americans.
if China insist on using pig themes, they will say:
look, communist are trying to insult Muslims.
if China ban the using pig themes, they will say
look, communist are afraid of its Muslims.
American style of thought is really #.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by gs001

interesting
Every news from China can get negative interpretion by Americans.

OK gs001, can you confirm that this is actually happening? It seems a little far fetched to me.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:58 PM
link   
That is interesting. The Chinese Calendar is a highly symbolic entity on its' own and to nullify adverts on TV sounds a bit eccentric, well to some. Perhaps they're not wanting negative reactions from the small Muslim communities in China? We've found out far too blatantly how something such as a cartoon can inflict world wide scares on the Muslim community. China may just be thinking defensively.

Luxifero

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
It is ridiculous...

Chinese civilization is the longest surviving civilization on earth with it's culture spreaded throughout all of Asia, and now the Chinese officials want to "hide" a huge part of Chinese tradition because of Muslim sensitivity? Celebrating the year of the pig! IT IS CHINA for God's sakes!

Seriously, WHAT THE HELL are the officials thinking. That's what I REALLY want to know.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I really see this as nothing more then a show for the west. Its to make us think everything is just peachy in china.
You know with all the suppression of its ppl. For instance the Tibetans. The ChinComms are just putting on a show for us. thats all.

[edit on 113131p://2401pm by semperfoo]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:02 AM
link   
As a matter of fact many would say India is the oldest surviving civilization on Earth, and actually has the second largest Muslim population. My assumption is that this may have been a secret Middle Eastern OPEC request, because I seriously soubt China has anything to fear from its Muslim minority. But while we are speaking of filthy animals, pgs are considered the filthiest in many religions, including Judaism, Hinduism and so on.

The Jews and Christians are also forbidden from eating pork. Here is a quote from the Old Testament to that effect: "And the swine, because it divideth the hoof, yet cheweth not the cud, it is unclean unto you: ye shall not eat of their flesh, nor touch their dead carcase." Deuteronomy 14:8

Many Christians believe that this verse was directed only at the Jews. But Jesus himself says during the Sermon on the Mount; "Think not that I am come to destroy the Law, or the Prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill." Some Christians say that, after a vision by St. Peter, God cleansed all animals and made them fit and lawful for human consumption. If ALL animals are cleansed by Peter's vision, this includes dogs, cats, vultures, and rats: but you just don't see people getting excited about a cat-meat sandwich like they do over barbecued pork or bacon. Others say that it was Paul who rescinded the law forbidding pork to humans, in order to appease the Romans, who enjoyed the taste of pig-meat. Many excuses have been given, but none are very sound.

Many Far Eastern traditions also discourage the eating of pork. The 3,000 year old Confucian Book of Rites says, "Agentleman does not eat the flesh of pigs and dogs." Although many Chinese are avid eaters of pork today, physicians of ancient China recognized pork-eating as the root of many human ailments. Buddhists, Jains and Hindus usually avoid eating any kind of meat.

I will actually give up eating pork this year, they are indeed quite filthy when they are no longer born or allowed to live in the wild.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by semperfoo
I really see this as nothing more then a show for the west. Its to make us think everything is just peachy in china.
You know with all the suppression of its ppl. For instance the Tibetans. The ChinComms are just putting on a show for us. thats all.

[edit on 113131p://2401pm by semperfoo]

Please don't spread ignorance here or speak of things you obviously know nothing about semper...

In China, minorities are EXEMPT from the one-child policy. They have Affirmative Action benefits in job hiring and colleges for minorities that are so greatly unfair to the majority, they make the American Affirmative Action look like pudding. There are stories of Non-Han Chinese committing crimes and getting MUCH less harsher sentences than Han Chinese committing those same crimes.

God, this western ignorance of the PRC is just too overwhelming. Comments like that, Semper, is the real reason why we have ATS - to deny ignorance. Westerners just read from freetibet.org or whatever and think that is 100% of what the PRC really is... gimme a break.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
gs001

If China uses pig themes, I say - no big surprise, seeing as it's the YEAR OF THE PIG!

If China bans pigs on television to appease religious nutters, I say - stop catering to the craziest common denominator.

I'm American, and I won't presume on the 'Chinese style of thought' - the only judgement I can make is regarding your style of thought.

Do you really think all Americans think alike? Americans are individuals, like any other group, Muslims, Chinese, etc., their thoughts and 'thought styles' are as varied as any other group. I will admit that greed is the common affliction, that colours everything we do, but it's hardly unique to America, and even then, there are enough exceptions to the rule to make any statement as broad as yours ridiculous.

So, I ask again, do you really believe there is an 'American style of thought' - because I think that's pure nonsense.

On topic: I think the banning of televised pig images and references is a stupid move that won't even have the desired effect. If someone gets offended over a little pig, that's their problem, let them deal with it.

I'm tired of the earth moving everytime someone gets offended. Being offended is not the end of the world, it's not even mildly interesting or important. People need to grow a thicker skin, and learn that the universe does not revolve around them, and that society cannot bend to every little whim they have. It's assinine to think otherwise.

Someone wants to be a Muslim, fine, that's their business. But why do we all have to tip-toe around and be hyper-sensitive to that fact? How is their decision to be Muslim any more monumental than my decision regarding brands of toothpaste, or my preferred underwear manufacturer?

I think the Chinese government is making a mistake.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by k4rupt

Please don't spread ignorance here or speak of things you obviously know nothing about semper...

In China, minorities are EXEMPT from the one-child policy. They have Affirmative Action benefits in job hiring and colleges for minorities that are so greatly unfair to the majority, they make the American Affirmative Action look like pudding. There are stories of Non-Han Chinese committing crimes and getting MUCH less harsher sentences than Han Chinese committing those same crimes.

God, this western ignorance of the PRC is just too overwhelming. Comments like that, Semper, is the real reason why we have ATS - to deny ignorance. Westerners just read from freetibet.org or whatever and think that is 100% of what the PRC really is... gimme a break.

WHOA easy D-bag, I never said I knew everything.
That was MY OPINION. Freedom of speech is a b*tch isnt it. Something that you havent quite caught the concept of yet. Anyways why go on lecturing me about the PRC and one child policy, BLAH BLAH BLAH?

Are the chinese ppl not suppressed by there own government? Can they speak out about their government freely without being thrown in prison or worse? How about the poor tibetans who risk life and limb just so they can go to india to see dali llama? Why does the chinese government see it fit to kill these innocent ppl who are just trecking onward to see the dali llama?
www.youtube.com...

IN MY OPINION (because we are still allowed to have those) the whole pig fiasco is nothing more then a big show put on by the chinese government. Its so the outside world thinks everything is going fine and dandy in china. And as long as you keep your mouth shut and dont speak out against the chinese government, and as long as you be a good little robot and try not to drink the contaminated water that lays claim to an estimated 70-85% of lakes and rivers in china or breathe the highly polluted air, then life should be just about fine for you i guess. But thats if you dont mind living off of $1-$2 a day like many peasant farmers in china do. All 1,000,000,000 of them.

Anyways, like I already said its my opinion. And theres not a goddammed thing you can do about it.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   
It's one thing to not eat pork due to your religious convictions (however misguided), but if you are getting offended by mere images of pigs (especially advertising pigs - which are more likely to be 'cute' or 'cartoony' animated pigs than actual animals), you need to re-think your priorities ... or better yet, just kill yourself now and stop using up my oxygen!

Oh, before you go, pass me that side of bacon!

[edit on 1/27/2007 by Empedocles]

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Wow! The Chinese banning something! Well that's unusual.

I remember reading on the bbc website that the Chinese Government employ around 30,000 people to keep an eye on internet blogs. How very strange for a country with such a love of freedom and equality to clamp down on an advert that could possibly affect their internal security.

posted on Jan, 27 2007 @ 05:52 AM
link   
I guess in your media, China must be described as a hell.
and we Chinese people dare to do nothing, speak nothing....etc
When we go out, there must be a secret police follow us
If we say something that offend communist, we will find ourself in jail.
I can imagine what will happen if someone get this kind of unilateral
information eveyday without hearing any different voice.
OK, just keep yourself in this kind of dream, untill China replace
you as the top power.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join